Throwing the Hydrometer right into the glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? I thought it might be a neat way to measure gravity over time and when it's hit FG then rack and refill the carboy with water to retrieve the hydromter. Probably putting it in there would muck it up with krausen so after high krausen would be best.

Gets covered with crud and you can't read it. Just set your sample tube with the hydrometer next to the carboy. That way you can pull the hydrometer out, clean it, and put it back in the sample.

Novel idea, but not really practical. You would need to wait until the krausen sinks back into the beer or you will get crap sticking to the hydro. This will throw off and or obsure the reading. By the time the krausen sinks, it's FG time anyway. I guess you could toss it in there and take the reading that way, but getting it back out without breaking will be a trick.

Don't do it!!!
In my experience, it is impossible to throw anything into a carboy, and trying to do so with a hydrometer will surely break it.
Even if you don't break it, the other posters explained why it wouldn't be a good idea.

-a.

Back