Throwing Restraint out the window - grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am just playing around, going for a very complex, over the top grain bill for a unique, one of a kind beer style or recipe. I have come up with this grain bill. It has 8 specialty/caramel malts and I did this intentionally. I just want some input on what everybody thinks about this grain bill:

13 pounds two row
4 oz biscuit
4 oz special roast
4 oz Simpsons medium crystal C50
4 oz Simpsons dark crystal C75
4 oz Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal C150
4 oz Crisp Chocolate
4 oz Crisp Pale Chocolate
4 oz Caramel 40

I am thinking about hopping this thing quite heavily with chinook for bittering and chinook, cascade and centenial for finishing. 1.065 OG, and maybe 60-70 IBU........... Like extreme american brown ale or something?

The problem is wether it will be complex and unique, or muddy and lost.

In cooking, it can be tempting to throw in all your favorite spices, but you can often have greater complexity with fewer ingredients.

But there is always curry and chai to consider!

I say go for it. You will learn from it if nothing else. It WILL be drinkable.

I would probably concentrate on balanced flavor from the hops as well... If you want complexity, I would worry about overwhelming it with bitterness from 60 minute additions. maybe less than 60 to 70 IBU, maybe 40 to 50:
0.25 oz Chinook 60 min
1.00 oz Chinook 30
0.50 oz Cascade 15
0.50 oz Centennial 5

Something... and send me one to try!

The problem is wether it will be complex and unique, or muddy and lost.

In cooking, it can be tempting to throw in all your favorite spices, but you can often have greater complexity with fewer ingredients.

But there is always curry and chai to consider!

I say go for it. You will learn from it if nothing else. It WILL be drinkable.

I would probably concentrate on balanced flavor from the hops as well... If you want complexity, I would worry about overwhelming it with bitterness from 60 minute additions. maybe less than 60 to 70 IBU, maybe 40 to 50:
0.25 oz Chinook 60 min
1.00 oz Chinook 30
0.50 oz Cascade 15
0.50 oz Centennial 5

Something... and send me one to try!

I also, am bigtime into cooking, I think it is a great background to have for brewing.

Here is a thought.....maybe ZERO 60 minute additions.

1.00 oz chinook at 30
1.00 oz chinook at 15
1.00 oz cascade at 5
1.00 oz centennial at flameout

What do you think about this hop schedule? Maybe mash this thing at 154 and ferment with clean yeast at 60-65 degrees. Pacman or Nottingham probably.

Back