Throwing everything into the keg with floating dip tube to see what happens. Blueberry/coffee/loose hops sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTrain24

Reaction score
Before I go ruin a batch I wondered if anyone had a reason why this wild idea would be an issue.

So far this is what I have done/seen through my brewing process.
  • I ferment and serve regularly out of the same keg using a floating dip tube setup in a corny and pressure ferment with a spunding valve
  • No issues so far with it sitting on the trub for long times.
  • Also no issues so far with cold hopping (although I've been using a mesh spider to contain them). No grassy flavors after a month in there.
  • I have mashed raspberries and thrown them in to the keg with no issues, they sink and do not get picked up in floating dip tube.

There is a local brewery that makes a blueberry/coffee/vanilla sour, and it is fantastic. So I want to try and make something similar.

I have a philly sour neipa style going now. I want to finish fermenting and with the spunding it will carbed. Then I want to cold crash, then mash blueberries and throw in them and the pellet hops loose into the corny. Also somehow add coffee.

So all of the fruit/pellet hops/trub will hopefully sink to the bottom and I can pull beer off the top.

Concerns that I have are:

I read a few posts about fruit sitting on trub causing problems. But have not seen a conclusive answer.
Will the pellet hops sink without a mesh spider?
Will coffee go bitter after a while?

MIght consider one of these to reduce the chances of your dip tube getting blocked.

float filter.JPG

You push the silicone dip tube on the connector and reattach the ball to the " cage ". They are only a couple of dollars but can save that reinjecting hassle and infection risk to unblock the keg post.

Seems like an aweful lot of unknown variables going on there. If you dont mind having a potentialy negitive outcome I say absolutely go for it! I hate dumping beer so personally I would rack to secondary to add all those things then cold crash then transfer to the keg. Just my 2 cents, E

Back