Through-the-lid immersion chiller builds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
Interested to see what solutions people have tried for mounting an IC in a kettle lid.

I have a 50' copper IC which I would like to semi-permanently mount into an extra kettle lid. The idea being that when ready, I can simply swap out lid to begin whirlpool and chilling. The lid would protect the wort as it cooled cooled while stabilizing to the chiller to so as not to disturb the trub cone.

Anybody ever seen/tried this?

Thanks

I've seen lids with notches cut to make room for the immersion chiller's input and output, but never one mounted.

I don't even have a lid for my boil kettle, and I'm not sure all that many people do. Why do you have to 'swap out your lid', when a boil kettle isn't covered? Or do you have some sort of vented cover? I'm trying to picture what you'd be swapping.

I've seen lids with notches cut to make room for the immersion chiller's input and output, but never one mounted.

I don't even have a lid for my boil kettle, and I'm not sure all that many people do. Why do you have to 'swap out your lid', when a boil kettle isn't covered? Or do you have some sort of vented cover? I'm trying to picture what you'd be swapping.

Yes, condenser.

And I also always cover my kettle when cooling wort.

I'm currently planning to mount a SS immersion coil to a lid in my 2 vessel RIMS brewery. I also have a steam condenser.

I plan to use the lid mounted coil first to chill my strike water from boiling back to strike temps, then move it to the BK and let it get boiled there until time for cooling.

Happy to share notes if no one else wants to chime in.

I'm currently planning to mount a SS immersion coil to a lid in my 2 vessel RIMS brewery. I also have a steam condenser.

I plan to use the lid mounted coil first to chill my strike water from boiling back to strike temps, then move it to the BK and let it get boiled there until time for cooling.

Happy to share notes if no one else wants to chime in.

Cool. Most interest to know what kind of bulkhead fittings are you using through the lid?

Ideally, I'd like the lid to support the chiller so it doesn't have to rest on the heating element.

The only way I can think to do this reasonably would be to use compression fittings through the lid to attach to the tubing, then extend that tubing through the lid and connect to the hoses.

I opted for a different approach, using a counterflow chiller. I also have a heating element so I'd need something to keep an immersion chiller off the element.

For @Yooper one reason to do this would be to capture steam produced indoors using something like @BrunDog 's steam condenser approach.

My plan is to use a compression fitting on the underside of the lid that also has 1/2" npt threads on the outside of the lid, where I will use something like a john guest fitting (or push-to-connect) so that I can easily plug the tubing in or take it off as needed.

www.brewhardware.com sell this, which is what I plan to use (two of them, of course).

TrueBulkhead58Comp-2T.jpg

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkhead58comp.htm

The part facing up would be the part on the inside of the lid that the cooling coil would be attached to. Compression fittings like that make extremely good, strong, water-tight connections to metal tubing. This particular fitting is purpose built for use in homebrew systems and has some nice features something similar from the hardware store would not have. In the system I'm replacing this is what I use to connect my HERMS coil to my kettle.

I'm planning to use a stainless steel coil for LODO purposes, but I'm actually not as dedicated to LODO as I was planning to be. But I'll have a 2 vessel RIMS system and I'll pre-boil my water in the mash tun, then use the lid-mounted coil to bring the strike water back to mash-in temp, then I'll move the lid-mounted coil to the boil kettle and let it sit in the boiling wort before whirlpool and chilling.

I'm not in a super big hurry to do this part of the project because I have a counter floor chiller at the moment, but it will get done eventually.

My plan is to use a compression fitting on the underside of the lid that also has 1/2" npt threads on the outside of the lid, where I will use something like a john guest fitting (or push-to-connect) so that I can easily plug the tubing in or take it off as needed.

www.brewhardware.com sell this, which is what I plan to use (two of them, of course).

TrueBulkhead58Comp-2T.jpg

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkhead58comp.htm

The part facing up would be the part on the inside of the lid that the cooling coil would be attached to. Compression fittings like that make extremely good, strong, water-tight connections to metal tubing. This particular fitting is purpose built for use in homebrew systems and has some nice features something similar from the hardware store would not have. In the system I'm replacing this is what I use to connect my HERMS coil to my kettle.

Yes! That's what I was hoping to find but never could. I should have learned by now to check brewhardware first!

Thank you for sharing this

Yes! That's what I was hoping to find but never could. I should have learned by now to check brewhardware first!

Thank you for sharing this
Yeah, brewhardware is my absolute goto for stuff like that. Always had excellent experiences with them and Bobby_M being an active contributing member here makes them my first choice.

Back