Three Philosophers Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I recently posted about how I had brewed and bottled a beer that ended up with a peanut butter aroma. I got 1 response. If you do a google search, there are many other posts about homebrewers getting a peanut butter aroma in their beers, and nobody really knows what it is.

When I open my beer and pour it into a bottle I get that peanut butter aroma. I smell the yeast in the bottle and I get that peanut butter aroma. It’s not just me. I have shared it with some friends who smell the same thing. I suspect it is the yeast. I used Imperial stefon yeast in a dunkelweizen. I believe it’s the Weihenstephan yeast. Spelling? It was fermented at 65*F. Fermented at 65*F for 1 week. Raised to 70* for another 2 weeks. The recipe is
6 lbs wheat
3 lbs Munich
3 lbs Vienna
0.5 lb special b
0.25 lb pale chocolate
0.25 lb crystal 40
1.5 oz tettang 60 min

Anyways, I just opened a bottle of three philosophers ale and I get peanut butter aroma. I smelled the bottle and I get peanut butter. It’s like Reese’s. My glasses are clean. My peanut butter is in the pantry. Please tell me my nose still works. Every description I find online about this beer says toffee, raisin, brown sugar, and dark fruits aroma. I get some of that, but it’s mainly peanut butter. I believe it’s a yeast thing, but I cannot find in any beer literature anything about peanut butter aroma.

Please respond.

I recently posted about how I had brewed and bottled a beer that ended up with a peanut butter aroma. I got 1 response. If you do a google search, there are many other posts about homebrewers getting a peanut butter aroma in their beers, and nobody really knows what it is.

When I open my beer and pour it into a bottle I get that peanut butter aroma. I smell the yeast in the bottle and I get that peanut butter aroma. It’s not just me. I have shared it with some friends who smell the same thing. I suspect it is the yeast. I used Imperial stefon yeast in a dunkelweizen. I believe it’s the Weihenstephan yeast. Spelling? It was fermented at 65*F. Fermented at 65*F for 1 week. Raised to 70* for another 2 weeks. The recipe is
6 lbs wheat
3 lbs Munich
3 lbs Vienna
0.5 lb special b
0.25 lb pale chocolate
0.25 lb crystal 40
1.5 oz tettang 60 min

Anyways, I just opened a bottle of three philosophers ale and I get peanut butter aroma. I smelled the bottle and I get peanut butter. It’s like Reese’s. My glasses are clean. My peanut butter is in the pantry. Please tell me my nose still works. Every description I find online about this beer says toffee, raisin, brown sugar, and dark fruits aroma. I get some of that, but it’s mainly peanut butter. I believe it’s a yeast thing, but I cannot find in any beer literature anything about peanut butter aroma.

Please respond.

Interesting. I've drunk more than my fair share of Three Philosophers and never noted a peanut butter odor.

I got a 4 pack. This was my first one. It’s good! I get the same aroma as my homebrew. Makes me feel a bit better about my homebrew, but now I’m questioning my nose.

I got a 4 pack. This was my first one. It’s good! I get the same aroma as my homebrew. Makes me feel a bit better about my homebrew, but now I’m questioning my nose.

As someone local to Ommegang, I have their beer fresh all the time.

Either you don’t know what peanut butter smells like or your nose is broken!

As requested, I respond:
I like peanut butter, and I like chocolate. But I don't like peanut butter with my chocolate. I think it has to do with the confluence of homemade peanut butter treats, the flu, and the horrors of the Wizard of Oz.
What does your tettnang smell like? Is there a hint of the cowardly lion?

I recently did a promo offering this beer. No peanut butter aroma for me or SWMBO.

Maybe it's you? Like how some people think cilantro tastes like soap or mango tastes like pinesol. Maybe there's something in the beer that your brain processes as peanutbutter.

Back