Threaded diffusion stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me who sells a diffusion stone that is threaded. i am trying to make a inline aeration fixture. I need a stone that is threaded so I can insert it into a bushing and then insert that bushing into a tee. The one on morebeer.com does not seem like its the one I need. It has threads for a compression fitting thats for hooking up the hose. Can't seem to get a straight answer from other people I have talked to here on where they got it from.

I never found one either. What I did was to use a Swagelok fitting, fit a piece of tubing through there with an o-ring instead of the ferrul. works great.

I've thought of coming up with something QD, maybe a camlok fitting or something.

Morebeer might not list them but they have access to them. Call them and ask. I know they sell it as part of their in-line O2/Thermometer product as I have one. Maybe they'll sell you one.

Larry,

do you have pictures of yours?

Thanks for all the help guys. Funny thing, I actually received a morebeer catalog yesterday in the mail and it seems like they list items in this catalog that are not on the website and sure enough they do sell a threaded stone just for this. It's not the threaded stone for a compression fitting, it's got NPT threads on it. It's almost 50 bucks, I'd rather make something.

Larry,

do you have pictures of yours?

Thanks for all the help guys. Funny thing, I actually received a morebeer catalog yesterday in the mail and it seems like they list items in this catalog that are not on the website and sure enough they do sell a threaded stone just for this. It's not the threaded stone for a compression fitting, it's got NPT threads on it. It's almost 50 bucks, I'd rather make something.

I'll grab a shot tonight and post it. Basically, my 1/4" tube goes through one of these .

I also have a Dwyer flow meter to set the level right.

Thanks! Yeah, i would really like to see photos of it and your flow meter to see how that all works. But I guess I have a question, what exactly is the flow meter for?

The morebeer site is down as I post this, but this is a 1/2" MPT threaded o2 diffusion stone.

O2 Diffusion Stone

If I remember correctly, it's like $50.

I built one for ~$30 using the wand I got from the Williams Oxygenation Kit. Silver soldered it to a 1/2" SS plug.

img_0391.jpg

There is no image of it, their desciption can mean or be a lot of different things.

I've got one of the ones from Midwest, that's almost exactly what it looks like. It is pretty nice except for one thing, the stupid stone came off. It didn't appear to be welded or anything, just pushed onto the piece behind it.

I was lucky it was during my sanitizing cycle and not when beer was flowing past it, or it wouldn't have been recovered until the batch was done.

Thanks guys, so being that it is threaded, do you find is a pain in the butt to keep removing it to clean it and stuff like that? How often do you do it?

I probably don't fully clean it (remove and boil) as often as I should, maybe once every 10 batches or so.

How would you sanitize it then before you run your wort past it to inject it with O2

I avoid threaded connections when at all possible.

This is a diagram of my knockout assembly. Not included in the photo is a sanitary dial thermometer that is mounted on the top "T" and extends into the sight glass.

The 2-micron O2 stone is usually mounted in the bottom T. O2 rises from the stone and is visible in the sight glass. This allows me to determine how much O2 I am injecting inline. The Valve at the top back-pressures the system to control knockout speed and to help O2 dissolve.

Everything else is sanitary tri-clamp.

koassy.jpg

Back