Thread sealant concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humuleneman

Reaction score
Anybody did use gasoila thread sealant on 1/2 inch stainless fitting? It claimes to be non toxic and to hold temp up to 600f. If its ok for brewing can it still leave a taste to liquid circulating in those fitting?

Is this for a building's heating system or a brewing system? Pipe dope, with or without teflon tape, is great for the former. Use teflon tape for the latter.

I understand what you mean about pipe sealant. Ive unscreewed all the fitting that hade some gasoila on. After cleaning all the thread i'm starting over. Loctite 55 is a PTFE cord. No chemicals there. I just wanted to know if any of you experience this stuff on your brewing rig. I found a 145m spool of it and it stand in my tool box staring at me!

Good you cleaned that pipe dope off. Most of those products have a solvent in them, so keeping that away from your beer is good habit.

I looked up that Loctite 55. Looks fine for the job, although I don't see any advantage over using common flat teflon tape. Moreover the cord looks like a pain in the butt to put on and it doesn't cover the peaks of the thread much. Now if you have really deep threads or leaks I can see laying it neatly in the groove, then wrap flat tape over it.

I am familiar with the thicker teflon cord you can make packings from.

From what i understand from people who use loctite 55. The only advantage is that you can unscreew a fitting, most likely a valve, without the fear of having a leak. Some others said they saw a demonstration where fitting were hand screewed .The whole setup was put under pressure and it held pressure! I would not risk a homebrew batch on this but still interesting. Thanks for the answer. Il stay with teflon tape and maybe use teflon cord only on parts that need to be position or repositionned!

From what i understand from people who use loctite 55. The only advantage is that you can unscreew a fitting, most likely a valve, without the fear of having a leak. Some others said they saw a demonstration where fitting were hand screewed .The whole setup was put under pressure and it held pressure! I would not risk a homebrew batch on this but still interesting. Thanks for the answer. Il stay with teflon tape and maybe use teflon cord only on parts that need to be position or repositionned!

Well, that's interesting to hear, a reusable teflon seal. For that to work you probably need to lay that cord down in the groove neatly, not crossing the peaks or it will seal like crap. Many of "Loctite's" bold claims in the past have never worked for me in real life applications. Even after cleaning threads with a SS brush and acetone, the nuts would still slip off.

You know what? I did a leak test for my HLT. All the fittings done with loctite 55 teflon cord did ok. All my teflon tape ones a leaking a little. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457054164.723668.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457054186.308321.jpg. It seems to be all the copper to stainless ones. I did 6 turns with ordinary teflon tape an then hand tightened. Plus 1 to 1 1/2 turn with a wrench. Is there something i done wrong or i just need to buy the yellow teflon tape or use loctite cord everywere!

In my experience I get leaks when I use more than 2 turns of teflon tape.

Just to be clear, you can't re-use the cord though. It's a one time use just like Teflon tape. This stuff is very tacky and is really good at sealing. There is really no more risk than using Teflon tape, actually less risk in my opinion, as it seals quicker even when not tightened down all the way and somewhat loose, if you use the proper amount of turns of cord. Really good product if anyone is looking to try it....

John

Thanks John. Ive redone all the leaking parts with loctite 55. Filled up my HLT up to the top. Waited half an hour. Voila! No leaks what so ever. I love this stuff too. I did my BK with it last night. I will do a leak test tonight.

Thanks John. Ive redone all the leaking parts with loctite 55. Filled up my HLT up to the top. Waited half an hour. Voila! No leaks what so ever. I love this stuff too. I did my BK with it last night. I will do a leak test tonight.

That's great, lots of luck brewing!

John

Back