Thread (screw) top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I love a particular commercial brew that comes in screw top bottles. I already know most here will say not to re-use screw top bottles for risk of not sealing as good as bottles with the lip for capping. However, is there any way for the homebrewer to cap a thread top bottle? I'm thinking of just doing this for some of my lighter brews.

A lot of homebrewers use screw top bottles, you'll want to use a bench capper though. I've seen several people post that they've done 1000's of screw cap bottles with only a few not holding pressure and no issues.

I have a hand capper and use pop-top bottles, but I don't bottle too often anymore so I don't have a lot of reason to upgrade to a bench capper myself.

I think the glass is thinner for screw tops and with the natural carbonation process you have a higher chance of the bottle breaking. You also may not see hairline cracks where the threads are.

I use a wing capper for Bud twist off bottles. I don't store in bottles though, just for easy transport.

Make sure you don't pry off a twist off .. it'll rip the top of the bottle off.

I have a Grain Belt Premium pop top bottle .. that is 35+ years old .. maybe even older. It still has all it's contents, a little cloudy, but pop tops seal very well.

Chemist,
Could you clarify if you are referring to twist-off bottles, like say bud light, or screw off, like a 40 of mad dog?

I'm not trying to imply that you drink any bad stuff, but the use of 'screw-off' makes me feel that there is a bit of terminology confusion going on.

Am I the only one that thinks of twist-off and screw-off as 2 different types of bottles?

Back