Thread etiquette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed a few threads where the OP just dissapeared. I know people are busy and what not but people who start a thread and ask questions should report back with the outcome . Not only does it aid other brewers with knowledge but it's respect for the members taking their time to post helpful info. I for one am a member on a few different forums and can tell you this is probably the best one I've been on . I appreciate the mods here and I appreciate all the people here who take the time to help teach others . Just a little rant .

If this is a sticky somewhere I apologize

It seems some feel they are "entitled" to a final response from the OP of a thread. Is the OP indefinitely tied to the responsibility of a thread they start? What is the timeline that releases one from such responsibility? That's silly, get over it.

I get what you all are saying but some of these threads get out of control with know-it-alls who are unable to accept another's reality when personal experiences are shared. If I were a newcomer I would stop responding in some of those threads too... ... ... ... That's for you PP ;)

I've noticed a few threads where the OP just dissapeared. I know people are busy and what not but people who start a thread and ask questions should report back with the outcome . Not only does it aid other brewers with knowledge but it's respect for the members taking their time to post helpful info. I for one am a member on a few different forums and can tell you this is probably the best one I've been on . I appreciate the mods here and I appreciate all the people here who take the time to help teach others . Just a little rant .

Not responding directly to @Jag75, but wanted to give a context to my comments.

Over the years, I have seen web based forum software that allows OPs to mark their questions as answered. The result was that too many replies from leaders were "if this answered you question, please mark the topic as answered". And questions still went unmarked.

What often goes totally unnoticed is the amount of questions that are answered by "stickies" (HBT) or FAQs (/r/homebrewing). So keeping stickies current (including documenting both sides of "polarizing" topics) may be helpful for many topics. The recent update of the FAQ over at /r/homebrewing seems to be successful - people are reporting that they started with the FAQ, found it useful, and were asking additional questions.

I know sometimes when I start a thread I always try to say thanks and possibly continue the conversation. One thing I have noticed is the amount of time questions are answered seems to be taking longer than it has on the past. This I believe is 100% due to people searching through the search tool or google and already finding quality answers and information which tells us a lot about the quality of information here on HBT.

As long as we're on the topic, part of threadiquette is using a descriptive subject line.

Bad subject lines:

A question
Please help me with...
Does anybody know...
What is the substitution for....

Good subject lines:

After brew cleanup-electric guys
New Tripel got a little solventy.... check my process?
What is this? Bits of yeast cake?...or something worse.

Very little bugs me more than a "meh" subject line that I have to click in order to find out what the OP really wants to know or make an observation about. "A question" turns out to be about Brett, which I don't use. Or "What is the substitution for..." ends up being about cooper kits and about whether something can be substituted....and i know nothing about cooper kits.

I just checked the first page of "new" posts, and most of the subject lines are excellent, with the exception of the cooper kit one, so I don't know if our members are just very good about it, or the mods are cleaning things up a bit.

I try not to clutter a thread too much - asked about using a "Like" instead of posting "Thanks" and was told by a forum mod that it is fine to do this. So sometimes the OP has actually thanked the other member by way of a Like.

Back