Thoughts on this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
I plan on making a chili beer for cinco de mayo and this is the recipe I got so far.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1147495/blonde-ale-recipes/chili-beer

I'd like it to be a low to moderately hopped beer that is smooth. I don't want anything to overpower the flavor of the chili peppers. I plan on roasting the jalapenos before adding them to the boil and fermenter.

The biggest question I have is, how does the percentages of my malt bill look? Will the brown malt be too much?

I think it looks good, but I've never been a fan of chili-beer. Are you going for something with a dry and clean finish? The best chili beers that I have had were lightly hopped with a clean malt finish. And the chili taste was light on the tongue and there was just some nice heat in the aftertaste. I wonder if the late hop addition will cover some of your chili taste. You could use a more neutral tasting hop with less citrus flavor. I'm just commenting, not really suggesting you change anything.

hmm, too true...I'd prefer it to not be really dry. I dont think I'd mind some hops flavor but definitely dont want it to cover the jalapenos. I updated the recipe. I think it might be a bit better now, I'm not sure about the yeast selection though.

Back