Thoughts On This Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it, but only if you plan on brewing more than 5 gallons at a time. Your grain bed will be really thin with a typical 5 gallon grain bill, and I would probably avoid that, even when batch sparging.

FWIW, I used to have a Rubbermaid and replaced it because the inner walls warped after my 6th or 7th batch due to the heat of the mash, I guess. I replaced it with a 50qt. Maxcold

Taking that into consideration, you should be okay, depending on the 'footprint' of the cooler. Taller and thinner will be better than shorter and wider, for the reasons Yuri stated about grain bed depth.

I do 5 gal. batches and it works just fine. I batch sparge. Plus, when I move to 10 gal. batches, I won't have to get a new cooler; I'll be all set. I wouldn't go any bigger than this though, again, for bed depth.

EDIT> I see the foorprint of this is 27.5" x 17.5" x 15.5". I think you'll be fine.

A 10 gallon round one would probably be best for you. You'll potentially limit yourself with a 5 gallon cooler (big grain bills like barleywine won't fit).

My recommendation?

The 36-quart Coleman Xtreme is pretty much a perfect cooler for 5-gallon, batch-sparged batches. I don't know this cooler, but I'd be a little nervous that it was *too* big (wondering if it would be more apt to lose heat because the thermal mass was relatively small). Plus, I know the Xtreme holds heat extremely well, and has a channel in the bottom for the drain that perfectly fits a SS braid.

For $13.00 more, go to Home Depot and get the round Rubbermaid 10-gallon.

I started with the 5 gallon rubber maid and thought that I'd do 5-gallon batches forever.....NOT

The round 10-gallon gives you a good grain bed even with a 5 gallon batch. That big rectangle may make your efficiency a bit lower being so "spread out".

So...Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a cooler, is the 10 Gallon Rubbermaid, the suggested one to go with?

Thanks

Wup

..::Edit: I just noticed Sams Club has a 5 Gallon Rubbermaid for $18.xx, how much will it truely limit me in doing 5 gallon batches?::..

I just converted one of the ones that you initially asked for. It's great in the fact that the drain is at the very bottom and leaves very little liquid behind. I do have my concerns about it's heat retention though I haven't used it in a mash yet. If you can get a round cooler, go for that. I know my 5 gallon cooler works perfect and holds temps really well. Not to mention it's a snap to convert.

Dan

wup said:
So...Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a cooler, is the 10 Gallon Rubbermaid, the suggested one to go with?

Thanks

Wup

..::Edit: I just noticed Sams Club has a 5 Gallon Rubbermaid for $18.xx, how much will it truely limit me in doing 5 gallon batches?::..

It will limit your ability to do big beers and 10gal batches, You can do standard batches with it, i have a 48 quart rectangle cooler and it is very versitile, i can do just about any thing with it. I even fly sparge with it, and get over 70% efficency. but it is all a matter of what you are looking for out of a mash tun. If you are not going to do a lot of big beers or big batches then you will be fine with a smaller cooler.

Cheers

I use that exact cooler. I made a manifold and a stainless screen for it. It works great for batch sparging (little heat loss and room to put my hose for the steam tubing between the lid separation). The only complaint I have is that the inlet for the plug is sunk into the floor of the cooler so it makes it hard to put a spigot in there.

Back