Thoughts on maltsters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
Any opinion on these malsters? Or all about the same in quality?

Thomas Fawcett & Sons
Hugh Baird & Sons
Malteries Franco-Belges
Canada Malting Co
Gilbertson & Page
Best Malz

I've used Fawcett Golden Promise and Maris Otter. Good stuff... not too sure what else to say about it. I have never knowingly used anything from any of the others mentioned, so I can't compare.

I've had great results with Simpson's Golden Promise, but have one complaint: too many sticks and stalks in the grain!

Doesn't impact the beer at all, but I like making spent-grain bread, and prefer it without the sticks!

Looks like someone has discovered north country :cross:

I have used these three

Thomas Fawcett & Sons: I have a sack of their maris otter and lager malt, I kind of just started to crack into them. I used the lager malt on a hefe that is drinking really quick
Hugh Baird & Sons I usually get their maris otter but they where sold out last time i ordered so i went with what i mentioned above
Malteries Franco-Belges I like the pale, pils, munich and the kilned amber i usually use these malts but sometimes i like to live a little and try other stuff

if only they carried Weyermann

Yes, ordered from them a year ago and they are a great company. The trick is trying to batch the order to manage shipping. I don't remember how I did it last time but when I put a cart together it said there was an issue with being over 150 pounds. I have to look into that.

I have used:

TF&S Maris Otter: I think it is a very good malt, easily as good or better than the Muntons that I had used exclusively in the past.
Canada Malting 2-row: again a very good malt, I have used this in all my American style beers and they have come out great
Best Malz Pils: I have only used this once, beer came out nice and light, it is fully modified so a single infusion is sufficient.

If you are looking for more, you could look-up some of the group buy threads since NC is where most people buy. The folks around here have done 4 group buys (one pallet each time) in the last year, I have not heard any specific complaints about any of those products.

I order from NCMG. I use Fawcett Marris Otter and like it. I've used Muntons in the same recipe and they were pretty close, but I think I like the Fawcett better. I also use BestMalz Pilsen Malt. I think it stands up to Weyermann. Plus with NCMG, you get the malt analyses.

Back