Thoughts on first two AG batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I racked my first AG batch (all columbus APA) and brewed my second (wit) on Friday.

Some initial thoughts:

Both times I brewed at a time when no one else was home. It's very time consuming but a very relaxing way to spend 5 hours.

My efficiencies were modest: 71% on the APA and 67% on the wit (which had 32% wheat malt and 21% flaked grains). This is probably about the best I'm going to do with pre-milled grains. It's not really a problem: grain is fairly cheap.

My keggle with SS screen really filters the wort nicely as it siphons out. The APA that I racked had less trub in it than any beer I've ever brewed. (I washed the yeast: the trub layer was really non-existant.) I still slightly underestimated the amout of wort lost to hops absorbtion, etc, on the second batch.

It was scorching hot (upper 90s) when I brewed Friday, and the area I use is only partially shaded. Brewing is hot work: this is one aspect of brewery work that would definitely not be so enjoyable.

Too hot and sunny or cold, cloudy and rainy are the only two types of brewing weather I've experienced. My setup now is on a patio next to the old garage, so I can be out of the sun & the rain most of the time. I've noticed most craft brewers are on the skinny side. Might be from the sauna-like conditions in the brewhouse.

Sounds like you are well on your way!
You may even be able to eventually increase your efficiency and cut it back to 4 hours. When do a 60 minute boil I can bring my brew time down to 3.5 hrs. At that rate I could hypothetically slip in 2- 10 gal batches in 7 hours. ;

I also have a tendency to prep my stuff in small stages in order to reduce the overall brew session, like measure and mill the night before.

glibbidy said:
Sounds like you are well on your way!
You may even be able to eventually increase your efficiency and cut it back to 4 hours. When do a 60 minute boil I can bring my brew time down to 3.5 hrs. At that rate I could hypothetically slip in 2- 10 gal batches in 7 hours.

My 5 hour guess was start-to-finish, including cleanup. (That's assuming a 90-minute mash time.)

I'm not sure how you can really make it go much faster...

My process:

Heat water to pre-heat mashtun cooler, pour into mashtun
Heat strike water
Mash in
Heat sparge water during mash (batch sparging)
1st batch sparge water into mashtun
2nd batch sparge water into cooler (to hold at temp for 2nd batch)
sparge 1st batch into keggle.
sparge 2nd batch (keggle already on burner)
Boil
chill
aerate
pitch

Heating the various amounts of water takes as long as it takes--I think the process is about as streamlined as it can get.

As you increase efficiencies you may find a way to shave off a few minutes here and there, reducing your overall time.
I'm currently fly-sparging, and am considering the batch sparge option which may save a few more minutes. Overall with a 90 minute boil your best case scenario might be 4 hours, 3.5 for a sixty minute boil, once you get the routine down, and your system completely dialed.
With a 90 minute mash, yeah your still gonna be 5 hours in at best.

I can do 4-4.5 hrs, but that usually requires a little advanced preparation the day before (so it's not a true 4-4.5 hrs):
1) Mill grains
2) Clean equipment, get brewery area set up

Also, my turkey fryer is pretty killer. I'm not sure what the rating is (stole it from a neighbor), but I bought a new one for myself that sucks compared to it. I can get my boil going in <15 minutes after my last batch sparge, which helps tremendously. It also makes heating up my mash-in water quick.

Latest posts

Back