Thoughts on conversion efficiency over 100%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I struggled with the formula discussed here to calculate conversion efficiency so I manually adjusted the 102% value to align with the Post-Boil / Pre-Boil Volume. Once entered I confirm the conversion efficiency by dividing the converted extract weight by the potential extract weight.

What kind of difficulties did you have with the formulae? If the discussion is unclear, how can I improve it?

Brew on :mug:

What kind of difficulties did you have with the formulae? If the discussion is unclear, how can I improve it?

I am unsure of the assigned value for °P = 100°P used in the formula below and if mash water weight is the value used for Water Wt.

SG in °Plato is defined as Weight% extract in the wort and is given by:

°P = 100°P * Extract Wt / (Extract Wt + Water Wt)

@doug293cz, thank you for pointing out how FGDB % vs PPG values work. Having calculated the PPG of each grain used in the recipe, I think entering the PPG points will allow more granularity when the potential for one or more grains is unknown.

I also see that the actual mash thickness is 1.879 qt/lb and not the 1.90 qt/lb I entered, which accounts for the difference between recommended strike water and actual strike water.

Thank you for pointing out how helpful using 'Goal Seek' is when reconciling brew day results. It is a handy tool.

conveff-6.jpg

Having proved that conversion efficiency of over 100% is possible, as the conversion efficiency for this recipe is 106.1%, likely due to the large percentage of non-base malts in it. I believe you have answered my original question. 👍

I am unsure of the assigned value for °P = 100°P used in the formula below and if mash water weight is the value used for Water Wt.

SG in °Plato is defined as Weight% extract in the wort and is given by:

°P = 100°P * Extract Wt / (Extract Wt + Water Wt)
Plato (°P) is like percentage. In fact °P is just the weight % of extract in the wort. So if you have 10% extract in the wort, it is 10°P. The formula for weight fraction is weight of extract divided by weight of wort. Weight of wort is weight of extract plus weight of water, or:
Weight Fraction of Extract = Wt of Extract / (Wt of Extract + Wt of Water)​
The weight fraction of extract if you have 10°P wort is 0.10. To convert weight fraction to °P you have to multiply by 100°P, just like if you want to convert weight fraction to weight % you have to multiply by 100%.

Yes "Water Wt" is the weight of all the water added to the mash prior to taking the end of mash SG measurement.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still have questions.

@doug293cz, thank you for pointing out how FGDB % vs PPG values work. Having calculated the PPG of each grain used in the recipe, I think entering the PPG points will allow more granularity when the potential for one or more grains is unknown.

I allow input of PPG or % FGDB as it allows the user to use whichever units they have for their grain without having to do unit conversion. PPG is just % FGDB * 46.2 (or % FGDB = PPG / 46.2.) 46.2 is the PPG of sucrose which is 100% "extractable" (100% FDGB.) You can do weighted average of % FGDB for the grain bill just like you do weighted average for PPG.

I allow input of PPG or % FGDB as it allows the user to use whichever units they have for their grain without having to do unit conversion. PPG is just % FGDB * 46.2 (or % FGDB = PPG / 46.2.) 46.2 is the PPG of sucrose which is 100% "extractable" (100% FDGB.) You can do weighted average of % FGDB for the grain bill just like you do weighted average for PPG.

I was able to make good progress using both PPG or FGDB inputs and understand the benefits of making both available. 👌

Plato (°P) is like percentage. In fact °P is just the weight % of extract in the wort. So if you have 10% extract in the wort, it is 10°P. The formula for weight fraction is weight of extract divided by weight of wort. Weight of wort is weight of extract plus weight of water, or:
Weight Fraction of Extract = Wt of Extract / (Wt of Extract + Wt of Water)​
The weight fraction of extract if you have 10°P wort is 0.10. To convert weight fraction to °P you have to multiply by 100°P, just like if you want to convert weight fraction to weight % you have to multiply by 100%.

Yes "Water Wt" is the weight of all the water added to the mash prior to taking the end of mash SG measurement.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still have questions.

I was able to work out the following today too.

conveff-7.jpg

The maximum SG the wort in the mash can achieve is:
Max Wort °P = 100°P * Max Extract Wt / (Max Extract Wt + Strike Water Wt)
Max Wort °P = 100 * 14.761 / ( 14.761 + 78.493 )
Max Wort °P = 15.829

And the SG actually achieved in the mash is:
Actual Wort °P = 100°P * Actual Extract Wt / (Actual Extract Wt + Strike Water Wt)
Actual Wort °P = 100 * 15.662 / ( 15.662 + 78.493 )
Actual Wort °P = 16.634°P = (1.0682)

If I am correct in this recipe, the Actual Wort °P is greater than the Max Wort °P.

Tomorrow I will continue to work through the rest of the formulas that you posted here.

:thumbsup:

Back