Thoughts on brewing mishap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMonster

Reaction score
Started a batch of DIPA last night and stupidly didn't check the ingredient list before starting. After doing the partial mash and stirring in the LME I noticed the DME and corn sugar were missing. I continued the brew session and of course the OG came in low at 1.045 vs expected ~1.080. Probably should have stopped the boil and restarted today after getting the required ingredients. Is there a way to add these later as a secondary fermentation? I'm sure it will still be drinkable as is, just might be extra bitter. :cross:

You can add them at any time. Probably best to start feeding the wort as the main fermentation starts to slow down.

If it were me and I could get the DME and corn sugar quickly, I'd boil it in some water, let it cool, and rack it into the fermenter. You'll end up with a second krausen and you should have a blow off tube because it will want to go nuts.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have the ingredients today so will give it a shot. Bubbling away nicely so far; quite a bit of headroom in the conical but I'll be ready with a blowoff tube just in case. :mug:

Back