Thoughts On Azacca?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
I recently bought a pound of Azacca after trying some commercial beers highlighting them. The batch I got had a real dull aroma. I did some dry hop testing and again was underwhelmed with both aroma and flavor. They just didn't impart much. I mentioned this to the vendor, Yakima Valley, and to their credit, they sent me another pound for free. But, same problem. Perhaps it's just this lot, but I'm curious if other have had similar observations with this hop.

AHA has recently given out a ton of Azacca with membership renewals. It was also being handed out at NHC. I'll be curious to hear feedback on it. Makes me wonder if they're just trying to dump it?

Last week I had an azacca single hop IPA. I tasted some pineapple, grassy and something sweet and cloying from the hops. It was not to my palate and so I'm glad that I didn't order a pound of it. The description of this hop sounded promising, so I think it's up to taste.

I used them in a session IPA along with Jaryllo figuring they would pair up well. The beer turned out good and all, just not the pungent hop punch I was expecting. I definitely got pineapple and maybe kiwis from it. I feel like Azzaca is more at home in Belgians and Wheats than IPAs.

I recently bought a pound of Azacca after trying some commercial beers highlighting them. The batch I got had a real dull aroma. I did some dry hop testing and again was underwhelmed with both aroma and flavor. They just didn't impart much. I mentioned this to the vendor, Yakima Valley, and to their credit, they sent me another pound for free. But, same problem. Perhaps it's just this lot, but I'm curious if other have had similar observations with this hop.

Azzaca plus equinox is a killer combo ...do it

Okay, so it seems I'm not the only one. They definitely smell and taste pleasant. Just not very potent.

Back