Thomas Fawcett Amber vs Weyermann CaraAmber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up some amber malt but in the list of malts I got from Country Malt Group l see a couple different malts that could be considered an amber malt. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what the Cara part of the malt name means. Has anyone tried either of these malts? Other than colour (23.1-30.6ºL vs. 30-42ºL), what other differences would I expect between the two?

So first post, kind of new to brewing so don't take what I know as absolute best knowledge...

The biggest difference is that the Thomas Fawcett Amber must be mashed with a grain that has diastatic power, the ability to convert the starches to sugars. Whereas the CaraAmber can be steeped, it has undergone the Caramel/Crystal process which converts the starches into sugars and leaves some unfermentable sugars behind.

From my understanding the CaraAmber will leave you with a higher FG and a sweeter beer.

This all being said I have never personally used either.

Pablo

Thanks. Good information. I'll probably try to source myself the TF Amber malt, but the problem I have is the only supplier that has it here is not the LHBS, but the malting warehouse for Country Malt Group and it is about $46 for a 55lbs bag. I don't mind the price, but I certainly don't need 55lbs of it... :)

Problem is if I get 10lbs ($16.50), it will need to be shipped from Georgia to Alberta (nearly $30), and if experience serves me right, the final cost for 10lbs will be very close to that of just buying a 55lbs bag ($46.20 CDN) and driving to Didsbury, AB (1 hour drive, $5 to $10 in gas). I may just bite the bullet and grab a bag.

You do not want to get a bag of cara malt. This is not a base malt. And you don't want a bag of Amber.

If you're new to this, simple: Get yourself a bag of Marris Otter.

All good info, but just wanted to add that British amber malt has a very distinct flavor, much different than CaraAmber. The former is used in small percentages and gives a very biscuity taste, sorta like burnt toast. CaraAmber is a crystal malt and is very sweet, i'm not too crazy about it.

If you're new to this, simple: Get yourself a bag of Marris Otter.
I know they aren't base malts, and I already have a bag of Bairds Marris Otter, as well as a bunch of other base malts. I'm building a collection of malts to give myself some reserves to play with without having to frequently go back to the LHBS.

All good info, but just wanted to add that British amber malt has a very distinct flavor, much different than CaraAmber. The former is used in small percentages and gives a very biscuity taste, sorta like burnt toast. CaraAmber is a crystal malt and is very sweet, i'm not too crazy about it.
Thanks. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I may just have to try it with a few different beer styles.

Agree with bierhaus. Not that fond of CaraAmber even in small amounts.

Brewed an Imperial Black (Black IPA) last weekend using Amber Malt as 20% of the grain bill. It's a new recipe, but I'm confident from prior experience with the Amber. At one time Amber Malt was used as a base malt, but current malting methods leave it with no diastatic power, so it has to be mashed with other base grains. If you end up with a sack, you'll find good uses for it. Good luck.

Nice! I was planning to do something similar, although initially a DFH 90m clone, but it seems like an interesting malt to play with. I might try it with a full 20% to do a black IPA as well, maybe an English dark or a stout as well. Should be fun. I think I'll probably just buy the full bag. Worst case, I'll ask some folks at the next home brewers meeting if anyone needs any TF Amber malts... :)

Latest posts

Back