this yeast has no appetite, it seems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrozyne

Reaction score
Hi,
Hope I can get some advice on this:
I made a batch of simple extract beer almost 20 days ago now. Fermentables: mostly LME(5.5 lbs), some crystal(not really a fermentable, I know) and 300 grams(10 oz?) a maltodex/dextrose mixture. I left the wort to cool overnight and pitched S04 the next day after aerating what I thought was well enough. In hindsight, maybe it wasn't. Temp was 77 F. @ pitching.
Fermentation took almost 3 days to take off. That's nothing to worry about, so I've read, but fermentation has been real sluggish all along. Never vigorous, as some people claim S04 ferments.:mad: OG was 1051. After 18 days it was still at 1021. Still some bubbles but gravity didn't drop anymore. I agitated the fermenter a couple of times and pitched an extra sachet of Muntons I had, just to see if I could get it to go a couple points down. Nothing happened. So, I guess I'll have to settle for a somewhat sweet beer this time. That's O.K. The sample I took tasted pretty good so I'm ready to bottle it if it doesn't budge anymore and as soon as it clears up a bit.
My question is this: seeing that my yeast hasn't got any appetite for the sugars that are still left in my wort, will they consume the priming sugar I intend to offer them at bottling time? Iow, will this beer carb in the bottle?
What do you guys & girls think?

Your priming sugar is likely exactly what your yeast want. Looking at your recipe, it's not that your yeast lack appetite--they lack digestible food! LME can often end up finishing high on it's own, but then you added two sources of long-chain sugars that most beer yeasts have trouble with.

My advice is to keep calm & prime on :)

Thanks Piratewolf,
You say I added two kinds of long chain sugars to my wort that yeast have trouble with fermenting. I take it you refer to the maltodextrine and dextrose mixture I added? But isn't dextrose just what I will give to my yeasties at priming time?

Edit:
Sorry for the name mistake, Piratwolf!

I was referring to the crystal malts and what I thought was Dextrine (carapils) because I didn't read closely. You're right about the dextrose! My bad.

The chief issue, though, may be the LME. Apparently there is a common issue with it stalling out around 1.020 or so.

Well, I bottled my slightly underattenuated batch of LME beer (FG1020)on October 20th. I still had 22 carb drops left that I used on 11 of my coopers pet beerbottles(740 ml). 11 x 740 ml = 2,15 gallons. After bottling those and marking them with a sticker I still had 2.7 gallons beer left.
These I primed with 2.6 oz. of dextrose (soluted in boiled water, stirred well) and bottled in 14 x 740 ml pet beerbottles.
Now, after only 4 days both are carbing up nicely but the bottles I primed with dextrose, not the drops, are noticably harder. It's already difficult to push a dent in those pet bottles with my thumb. Did I make a mistake and overprimed with the dextrose? I thought 1 oz per gallon was kind of standard practice? Not taking into account carbing to style which is still beyond me...
Any thoughts? Please put my mind to rest!

Latest posts

Back