This may be the dumbest question ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthammill

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has force carbed beer with a sodastream? I am bottling on friday, just wondering if this is possible to has a sampler of my beer? Or is that the dumbest question ever?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, you could force carbonate with soda stream. it is the same basic setup as a keg system. I like carbonated water on occasion and thought of purchasing one for that, added bonus I could force carb beer for hand outs to co-workers. Not a stupid question btw.

O_O

This sounds like a GREAT idea. It would probably take some tweaking to get it right, but in theory this works, right??

Please try it out and report back!

I will give it a shot tommorow and let y'all know how it works out....ha!

I've been wondering the same thing every time I walk past a Sodastream display in a store. Curious to know how it goes.

Why not a good idea price less brewing? I want opinions, or if you have had experience with this,is it dangerous??

You're gonna have to try harder than that to ask the dumbest question. If you have a sodastream it is worth a try. It's a hobby. Play!

I'd like to hear how it turns out.

My only question is can you to control CO2 pressure? Soda (Pop) generally is carbonated at a much higher pressure than most beer - like 50 PSI or so. Will the sodastream allow you to crank it down to 10-12 PSI? I'm not familiar with how they work.

BTW - This is the dumbest question ever asked: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ts-it-was-a-joke/story-e6frfmvr-1226742103417

There have been a number of threads on this. I believe the general consensus is that it produces a giant mess.

sodastreams not suitable for anything with gravity over 1. Bottle will pop off, overfizz, and probably cover your ceiling in sticky beer. You really can't carb anything except water in it without an explosion.. however I do hear that there's a modification to it to allow for other liquids that has had some good feedback but ymmv

I did it! but you have to put it in the soda stream bottle and do a quick! press and wait for it to settle then you can screw it off. pretty good for testing a batch quickly lol.

BE CAREFUL!! I put juice in the soda stream once and it blew up all over the place! Noting i was drunk and it was stupid, my wife kicked my ass the next day because the sticky liquid was all over the walls and curtains and windows.. lmao

Since you guys have tried it with bad results I will pass. Don't want to make a mess! Thanks

If you chill the flat beer right down, and give it time to settle/dissolve after a brief burst before releasing the pressure, then you might fair better than the worst cases mentioned up thread. Certainly that'd give you the best chance of success.

Back