This is how i "scrub" brewing/bottling buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
I decided i don't contribute enough to HBT so i thought I'd pass along my tip for cleaning up. We all know about using Oxy-Clean and Star-San, etc. for cleaning and yeah, they work great. Every once in a while you need to scrub though and sometimes you just can't or shouldn't. I've come up with a solution that works for me and I've yet to have any issues at all as a result of using this.

I buy aquarium filter pads for my aquariums and always buy the MONDO bag of the "cut to size" pads. They last a long time and are easily disposable when no longer good. They are soft, non-abrasive and designed to pick up particles. They hold up perfectly in sanitizer and any liquid short of near boiling temperatures. Obviously you need to sanitize the pads before use, but i love them for quick wipe-downs on fermenters and whatnot.

Does anyone else already use these? I hope this isn't old news. Perhaps this helps someone out there.:mug:

40234_423434838093_616883093_4627275_5505044_n.jpg

Why would you need to sanitize before using this stuff? I say use it with a cleaning agent first, then rinse and sanitize as usual. That stuff appears to be some type of polyester and it should be quite sanitary right out of the bag. Nothing in it that would be appealing to bacteria or mold IMO. It's essentially inert plastic.

Why would you need to sanitize before using this stuff? I say use it with a cleaning agent first, then rinse and sanitize as usual. That stuff appears to be some type of polyester and it should be quite sanitary right out of the bag. Nothing in it that would be appealing to bacteria or mold IMO. It's essentially inert plastic.
Well, yeah. :) I just prefer to be overly cautious with my sanitization and whatnot. Plus i'm a Star-san junkie and spray down my entire work area when i'm working on a brew. I just figure it can't hurt.

Well, yeah. :) I just prefer to be overly cautious with my sanitization and whatnot. Plus i'm a Star-san junkie and spray down my entire work area when i'm working on a brew. I just figure it can't hurt.

Me too, but whatever cleaning agent you use will kill critters as well as clean. I spray StarSan around liberally too, but I focus mostly on the things that may come in contact with the wort or beer. Be extra careful with those whatnots. They can be a problem sometimes and are frequently overlooked.

Back