This forum rocks - noob from Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNWStyle

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I found this forum this last weekend while trying to find information on home brewing after I decided to take the plunge. I’ve always been a fan of micobrews and foreign beers so I really wanted to try brewing on my own.

Well I brewed my first beer last night, it is a Scotch Ale. As with most people’s first attempt there were a couple mistakes. I never got a real big rolling boil since my burner was kind of small for the pot I used but it was a consistent small boil. Hopefully that doesn’t affect the taste too much. Also while pouring in the wort into my fermenter I dropped a plastic spatula into all 5 gallons of my wort. It was fully sanitized and I fished it out with a sanitized thermometer but it was in there for a good 2 minutes while I got the thermometer. Other than that it went pretty well, I put the yeast in at a little under 74 degrees and hopefully by the time I get home from work today there is some activity in the air lock.

Anyways, great site and I hope to brew more beers in the future!

Welcome to HBT and congrats on the first brew! :mug:

Don't worry about the spatula in the wort, if it was fully sanitized you have nothing to worry about (even if it wasn't, chances are it will be fine then too).

Welcome to HBT from another Seattleite. I live downtown but have spent a fair amount of time at Larry's myself. Although I usually frequent Mountain Homebrew & Wine Supply.

Don't worry about the spatula. I'm sure you're going to be extremely happy with the results of your Scotch Ale and be permenently hooked like the rest of us. :mug:

We need to get a local HBT gathering together soon!

Welcome to HBT and the obsession of brewing.

Let it sit til the krausen drops then take hydrometer readings over 2-3 days to make sure fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back