This could be interesting....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I accidentally brewed an "IcePA". I cold crashed the beer on Friday and was apparently overzealous with the temp. As I was racking off the beer to a keg I quickly realized that the top 10% or so was a layer of ice/slush. I lost about a half gallon to ice.

Could be interesting. I wouldn't expect it to have a huge negative effect...just a higher ABV perhaps?

Yes, essentially you've created an "Eis" beer. Quick history - The U.S Government tried banning the manufacturing of Eis beers because they believed it was a form of distillation. The homebrew community rallied and said no, distillation is the removal of alcohol whereas Eis beers is the removal of water.

I brewed a Doppelbock and wanted to make an Eisbock so I did the same thing but wanted to, lol. It concentrates the liquid (obviously), which in my case, made it more malty and yes, higher ABV. It was great! I'm sure your beer is going to be good, only I question the amount you froze. 1/2 gallon seems like a lot so I hope it's not too syrupy.

Congrats on making an Eisbock! Or "EisPA?" Should be tasty. I've made a few Eisbocks using this exact method and each turned out delicious. I target more ice removal though, so this is sort-of an Eisbock-lite.

And you're correct, don't expect much change in the beer, just a higher %abv.

Back