This cannot be right I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukfan369

Reaction score
Okay my dogfish 60minute clone has been fermenting one week today, I decided to go ahead and take a reading just to see how thing s are going. THe beer has no krausen on top and my hydrometer reading was 1.010 this just doesnt seem right I still have airlock action but how could my gravity be so low for a beer that should be high gravity? Is something wrong

wow that was a quick fermentation everyone has said to wait atleast two before bottling should i do that? I just added dry hops also.

After a week, most fermentation should be done. But, as you said, you still have airlock action, so some fermentation is still occurring. The general two weeks isn't just for fermentation. Much of the later part is for allowing the yeast to clean up and for everything to settle.

Does your hydrometer float freely in the measuring cylinder? If it sticks to the sides, you can get some wildly inaccurate gravity readings.

-a.

That is a pretty big beer to rush. Fermentation may indeed be done but that kind of og is bound to throw off some fusels that I would want to mellow with the assistance of the yeast cake for at least three weeks.

Back