THIOLIZED LAGER YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
i emailed Lance at omega like a year ago. maybe more. asked about doing the GMO gene activation thing to lager yeasts. may or may not have mentioned that 940 was our "house" lager strain. explained my idea/biz logic for a thiolized lager yeast. long story short, i was told that the gene expression in lager yeasts was so low that it was useless to try it. (might have been "orders of magnitude lower" or something like that) apparently they had some sort of breakthrough.....

1659451460260.png

huh. well that's interesting.

tbh cant say im not excited to try it out

So I was sworn to secrecy, but it looks like the cat is out of the bag. A local place made a beer with this. Same flavor as chewing on grains. Not what most people are looking for in a lager.

explained my idea/biz logic for a thiolized lager yeast.

Can you share that line of reasoning with us? :)

Bonus challenge: do so without mentioning "IPL" or "Cold IPA" :p

Bonus challenge 2: don't let this deteriorate into a thread about IPL, Cold IPA, or the (absence of) difference between the two.

So I was sworn to secrecy, but it looks like the cat is out of the bag. A local place made a beer with this. Same flavor as chewing on grains. Not what most people are looking for in a lager.
that makes no sense. 940 is super clean, and while they say to avoid rice, wheat and oats the natural pairing with 940 is corn, which wasnt mentioned. even a 100% barley shouldnt come out any different than a normal 940 lager in terms of malt flavor. those cats did something wrong, obviously.
Can you share that line of reasoning with us? :)

Bonus challenge: do so without mentioning "IPL" or "Cold IPA" :p

Bonus challenge 2: don't let this deteriorate into a thread about IPL, Cold IPA, or the (absence of) difference between the two.

craft beer, IPA, hazy/juicy etc etc are orders of magnitude smaller than global lager production. asia, africa, N/S americas, europe, Aus all see lager as the top selling style. many times the entire top 10 is all lagers, of varying macro-brew quality/lite/lo carb versions.

figure out how to get the thiol production going in lager yeast, and you've got the potential to amplify the existing macro production model lager with hop flavor- and the production process matches what the macros already do with dry, crisp lagers with little to no dry hop steps. you literally DO NOT want to do big dry hops when you're thiol driving, which is the "essence" of most craft brewing today.

so you tweak this yeast, show the macros they can now do "tropical" lagers without spending $$$ on fancy hops, just keep using the basic hops for mash hopping (saaz, cascade, tett, etc) and overnight produce new version of their beer that meet the hoppy/"craft" style for their customers.

patent the yeast. license. and make a ton of money a little at a time.

because volume. VOLUME.

our "flagship" beer we developed about 8 or 9 years ago was an IPL sort of, more or less, not too high in ABV, but dry hoppped like an IPA. tiny bit of light crystal. with 940 mex yeast, and new school hops (citra mostly)

google drive can verify the date as far back as 2014. it was a phenomenal beer. ahead of its time. but when you're a brewpub, you dont distribute. so very local, limited awareness. fast forward a few years and we start hearing about a "west coast pils" out of LA, italian pils, those cats in upstate new york, etc. etc.

whaddyagonnado?

Back