thinking of making the move to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year, a dozen of batches or so. So far it's been great and I'm really enjoying it. I've been using extract and steeping some grain and results have been suprisignly good.

I have been reading and thinking about going all grain but the cost seems pretty high for the move. I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

This is the equipment I think I need.

• Propane burner
  • 10 Gal pot
  • Wort chiller
  • Cooller and fittings

Am I missing something?

thanks
Ernie

A mash tun. And you don't need a 10-gal pot, 8 gallons will do just fine with some Fermcap to control the break.

if you can get enough water to boil on your stove then you don't absolutly have to have a burner. but it is nice, keeps the mess outside. once you switch then the ingrediants get cheaper. also you could try the BIAB (brew in a bag) method to test it out, then all you would need is a big mesh bag.

I agree on the burner part. I have always done it on my stove, and that will save you a bunch of money. If you are doing 5 gallon batches, start with a 5 gallon cooler, and you can get that for $18 at Home Depot. It is easy to move up to a larger cooler later if you want to do higher gravity beers, but it is a cheaper way to get started, and my 5 gallon works great for me.

Am I missing something?

thanks
Ernie

Sure are. You are making the assumption that to do all grain you need lots of equipment and it has to be big enough to do 5 gallons or more every time.

WHOA!

For a very small investment that uses the equipment you already have you can try all grain brewing and see if you want to continue (I think you will). You probably already have a 5 gallon boiling kettle. Add a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and you have all you need to explore all grain with a 3 gallon batch. There seems to be a little more liquid loss so you probably won't end up with a case of beer but it will be all grain and all yours. Search this forum for "brew in a bag" and you'll find lots of info on it. I added a cheap grain mill so I could get my grain unmilled so it would keep longer since I don't have a LHBS that is local and can mill the grain for me and I bought a long stem thermometer that you could get by without.:rockin:

You can start with the stove-top (aka BIAB) all grain method to get a few batches over your belt before you decide to invest in more gear. I would opt for at least a 32 quart pot/kettle though. You can go lower cost and get a solid aluminum pot, and convert it into a kettle yourself (install the ball valve)... I did this with the valve assembly (no-weld type) from my LHBS... Was rather easy to do too. I went with the 1/2" valve, so that it would drain faster.

If you have a cooler that's 40qt, or larger, then you have something you can convert into a mash tun.

If your stove can get ~7 gallons up to a boil (and maintain it) at a decent rate, then you don't need to get the propane burner... I will say, having one (a propane burner) is really nice though.

If you do opt for the BIAB method, then you'll need at least one, or two, good sized pots. You'll want a pair of (at least) 24-28qt pots to use. If you decide to do the no sparge method, then you'll need an even larger pot...

For ME, I could only brew moderate OG batches (under 1.075 OG) due to pot and stove limitations. With the mash tun (converted cooler) I can make pretty much anything I want, either 5 or 10 gallon batches, with ease. The stove in my kitchen had a very difficult time getting even ~6 gallons of wort up to a boil. Then it could barely maintain it. The propane burner doesn't even blink at 7 gallons in my 32qt kettle... It makes short work of 12+ gallons in my 60qt kettle too.

So a lot really depends on what you want to brew, how much you want to spend, and what method you want to employ. Just remember, you're not locked into one method, you can easily switch it up depending on what you're brewing.

I agree on the burner part. I have always done it on my stove, and that will save you a bunch of money. If you are doing 5 gallon batches, start with a 5 gallon cooler, and you can get that for $18 at Home Depot. It is easy to move up to a larger cooler later if you want to do higher gravity beers, but it is a cheaper way to get started, and my 5 gallon works great for me.

Same here. I am only a few batches deep in all grain, but all have turned out to be fantastic. I didn't want to shell out for a bunch of new equipment, so the only thing I did was build the mash tun from the home depot cooler (total w/ parts turned out to be around $50, but I'll have made that up in ingredients within the next 2 batches). Sure I may only be brewing 3 gallon batches w/ my 20 quart stovetop pot, but they've turned out better than all of my 5 gallon brews before them. I say go for it and you won't be looking back either.

Just keep in mind... Depending on how much you drink, and how many friends you have that will be trying to snag your home brew, you might end up brewing more often that way... Figure at least 6 weeks grain to glass for a moderate OG brew...

Of course, if you start enough batches initially, you'll quickly establish a good pipeline and it shouldn't be an issue...

i'm laughing my a** off at your post gold as i sit here with a martini.. no doubt i drink less than half of what i brew... frankly, i love beer, but i'm a gin drinker. beer is #2... it all goes to family/friends...

as for moving to all grain, i started with partials and if you're doing partials, the move to all-grain is slight to say the least. i went from partial to AG with the addition of a MLT... the less i have to move beer the better. from extract to all grain, you either need to ditch the BK and switch to an MLT or build separate mash and lauter tuns... frankly, the MLT with false bottom is a godsend to the homebrewer imo and worth every penny. i'll upgrade eventually, but if i can get away with brewing inside, i'm all over it. my MLT covers two burners and i have zero issues ramping stuff up quickly to what i want.

Hmmmm... That reminds me... I need to have a home brew... Need my daily dose of B Complex... :mug:

Reason small batches (2.5-3 gallons) of home brew doesn't work for me is more to do with how I like what I brew. I have to pace myself so that I don't deplete my pipeline before the next batch is carbonated. I have one batch that's been in bottles almost 3 weeks now. I'll probably chill one down starting tonight, and have it towards the end of the week. I have another batch that is about ready to go into bottles, so that will be ready for drinking in about 3 weeks. In about 2 weeks another batch should be ready for bottling up too...

I'm being very selective about who I share my homebrew with... Good friends and SOME family members are allowed to have some... Everyone else can get bent. :cross:

I am trying to plan my next 3-4 brews... I have two pretty much figured out, but I still have one or two more to formulate... One of them will be [basically] free due to a sponsored brew day... :rockin:

BTW, if I harvest my yeast, or use washed yeast, I can easily brew a batch for ~$12 or less. If I use fresh yeast, that goes up to $20 or less. :ban: I was spending $45+ on extract kits for lower OG brews...

BTW, you might want to get your ass re-attached... :D

Back