thinking about BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Maul

Reaction score
I am a new home brewer who hasn't even tasted his first extract batch of hefeweizen (still waiting for the krausen to fall) but I think I won't have a good sense of the potential without ever trying an all grain brew and this seems to be the simplest way to create a full five gallons of wort from grain.

Some questions:
  • Do I really just need to get a 10 gal pot, burner, bag, paddle, chiller and optional lifting system to get going? ( I have good thermometers)
  • Do you deal with trub just like you would with a normal three vessel brew?
  • Am I crazy? Do I need to do X more extract batches before I consider this?

I am a new home brewer who hasn't even tasted his first extract batch of hefeweizen (still waiting for the krausen to fall) but I think I won't have a good sense of the potential without ever trying an all grain brew and this seems to be the simplest way to create a full five gallons of wort from grain.

Some questions:
  • Do I really just need to get a 10 gal pot, burner, bag, paddle, chiller and optional lifting system to get going? ( I have good thermometers)
  • Do you deal with trub just like you would with a normal three vessel brew?
  • Am I crazy? Do I need to do X more extract batches before I consider this?

I went to AG BIAB after 4 extract batches. I only have a 5 gal pot so look at this way before jumping all in.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

If your doing 5 gal batched the 10 gal pot will help but I know some who get away with 8 gal pots. I do 3 gal batches in a 6 gal pot. The burner at that boil size is almost a requirement along with a chiller unless you are going to the no-chill method and my paddle is a long spoon. Lifting system is up to you, I have no problem with my batch size and weight but I do understand some people having trouble.

I went straight to BIAB, never did a kit or extract.

Use http://tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html this to get your recipe.
Super simple and spot on numbers.

To answer your questions....
If you are buying a pot... go bigger than 10 would be my suggestion... a Keggle I started with.
You basically need a minimum of 2x your final batch size, more is better.
I brew 6.5 gallon batches, start with 9 gallons of water and put in the grain and the keggle is 2/3 full or so.
If you get a rocking boil going... you will also like tall sides of a pot.
Now if you ever think about going to 10 gallon batches.... start doing the math....
Buy a pot once is my suggestion.
Look for my first biab thread to see a lot of pics.

Trub will not hurt your final beer....yes just deal with it and dump in fermenter.

No you are not crazy

No you dont need extract kits.

good luck
Kevin

Thanks guys... do I need to worry about anything special with a burner if I use a keggle? Do you use the custom bags or the cheap paint strainers?

How big is your current kettle? You may be able to squeeze a 4 or 5 gallon AG stove top batch...no shame in getting your feet wet then start looking for keggles, chillers and burners!

I'm kind of a fan of getting started with minimal equipment and growing and learning into larger eqipment, rather than thinking you need! You really need very little to get a few tasty batches under your belt.

I have a 3 and 4.5 gallon pots and a typical coil-style electric stove. The 3 has a deep steamer basket with it.

you could try a small batch to see how you like it. This is my method

Last edited by a moderator:
I did one extract batch 2 years ago and BIAB ever since.

My recommendation:

1. 9 or 10 gallon pot.
2. I just use the big bag from AHS. I get about 10 batches out of it before holes begin to show. Then I use it in 1 gallon batches or as a strainer.
3. No need for a pulley system. Buy two 5 gallon buckets from Lowes or HD. Drill a bunch of wholes in one and stack in other 5 gallon bucket. Put mash in bucket and squeeze with a pot lid and put runnings back in pot.
4. Need a propane burner. Get the square one.
5. No need for a paddle. A slotted stainless steel spoon is fine. (Watch homebrewfinds for when they go on sale.)

Your AG life will be simple, simple, simple

I did several extract batches before going BIAB, but I don't know that you have to. I bought a turkey fryer on craigslist for $40, came with burner and new 7.5 gal kettle. I can do 5 gal batches with some patience (need to really watch for boil overs on the hot break and first hop addition). Sure a 10gal kettle would be nice, but that really ups your costs. I'm actually looking for another turkey fryer on CL so I can do 2 batches simultaneously. It works pretty well. I recommend a bag from wilser too!

I did about 20 extract batches and switched to BIAB. Got a turkey fryer kit for father's day and bought a 16gal aluminum pot. I can do average 10gal batches with this setup. If i were to do it again i'd get a bigger pot to do bigger 10gal batches.

If your thinking about doing AG, then BIAB is a great place to start. And i've done 5 batches (couple 5gal and a couple 10gal) and don't plan to do any other AG method!!

Give it a try!!

Its harder to mess up extract than all grain. If you make decent extract brews then its a good time to go all grain, BIAB or otherwise. If not, work out the kinks of your extract process first to avoid introducing additional variables. As far as BIAB goes I used the cover my plasma TV came in and a 5 gallon kettle and made great beers!

I made maybe 10 extract batches before going BIAB, I bought a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon pot with a paint strainer bag. Once I started AG and realized how easy it was I started thinking "how much longer to make 10 gallons?" Which is when I started building my current 3 tier rig. If you purchase a turkey fryer and it comes with a pot you can do it, but if not buy the biggest pot you can afford.

I have a 3 and 4.5 gallon pots and a typical oil-style electric stove. The 3 has a deep steamer basket with it.

You could do a two pot BIAB stove top using both pots and paint strainer bags to make a five gallon batch.

Basically split your ingredients 60/40 between your two pots and make two smaller batches and combine in the fermenter to make 5 gallons.

Or if so inclined, get a 10 gal kettle, a larger bag, and a burner and go outside and fire a 5 gallon batch.

Good luck, it's not as hard as it sounds!

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. I want to do AG but avoid all of the plumbing involved (or feel the need for it) so I'll keep my eye open for a burner and a kettle for a good price. Do burners go on sale after thanksgiving?

Back