Thinking about a Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TySmith40

Reaction score
I would really like to do a red ale, but I've never done one before. Anybody have any good recipes that they have used or found? I only brew 5 gallons at a time and a lot of the recipes I came across were for bigger batches

Irish red or American red/amber?

I have an excellent American Amber recipe I'm enjoying now!

If youre looking for a kit I made NBs Multigrain Red earlier this spring (its called Dawsons Red or something like that) and people loved it. I had BMC drinkers going gaga over it. Its not super assertive or overly alcoholic but had nice balance with a unique flavor and was very drinkable.

Thanks for that. Now this is my first beer that requires mashing. Any advice?

If you aren't set up for all-grain, you can do this as a partial mash or even an extract w/ steeping if you sub in some Munich extract instead of the melanoidin. Buy the 100% MO LME from Northern Brewer.

Thanks for that. Now this is my first beer that requires mashing. Any advice?

I've done it as a partial mash, and as an all grain. I'd be happy to help you convert it to extract as much as is possible, if you'd rather.

Shoot me a PM.

If you're interested I make a nice Belgian red ale. Its basically a red ale with a Belgian yeast. Its pretty nice

Fermentables:
2.25 lb Caramel Malt – 60L
9 lb Pilsen DME

Hops:
1 oz Centennial 8.7% - 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer 10.6% - 45 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer 10.6 – 15 min

Use your favorite Belgian yeast. I like forbidden fruit from Wylabs.

If (and by if i mean when) I do this again, I'd maybe change up the bill to have some more darker malts (perhaps some roasted barley or rye). It is a little bit sweet and 1 note, but it is certainly a crowd pleaser.

Latest posts

Back