Things the SWMBO says.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggs1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure there are plenty of us that have a significant other that just don't understand home brewing. What comments have you heard from them that leave you shaking your head?

Saturday afternoon, 2pm and it's brew time. She was headed out to the garage.

Me- Can you grab me a beet while you're out there?
Her- (looks at the clock) Do you really need one this early?
Me- It's brew time. Of course I need one.
Her (shakes her head and gets me the beer and says nothing else)

I'm sure there are plenty of us that have a significant other that just don't understand home brewing. What comments have you heard from them that leave you shaking your head?

Quite the Lady. Got you a beer instead of a beet. Probably figured eating a beet while brewing could make your day go wrong.

When trying to get her to brew with me;

Me: Would you want to brew with me tomorrow?
Her: No, it's your thing. I am happy it's your thing.
Me: Come on!
Her: I just like to drink it.

SWMBO: "Umm I like this beer!"
Me:" I hoped you would like it. I brewed it with you in mind. Would you like more?"
SWMBO: " No, that's enough for me. I think I will have some wine."

three months later...
Me: " Hey honey, are you going to drink this beer I brewed you?"
SWMBO: "Yes, just have not been in the beer mood lately"
Me: "OK, just checking"(grumbling...I need the keg space)

three months later
SWMBO: " Where is that beer I like? "
Me: "Um, me and the guys drank it during the Super Bowl party"
SWMBO: " What?! I asked you to save it for me"
Me: "Sorry babe, I brewed that 6 months ago and I needed the keg back for a new beer. I tried to get you to drink it at the Super Bowl. You were drinking wine."
SWMBO: "Never mind. I feel like wine anyway."

For starters, I personally don't like the SWMBO title. Why not HWMBO? Maybe we shouldn't obey but respect? (Unless it's the dogs, I wish they would obey.)

My wife: "What are WE brewing today?"
Me: "It's a hoppy, bitter double IPA."
My wife: "Goody, what do I need to do to help?"

Just racked my ECY20 onto Raspberries yesterday.

Her: "Can I borrow that beer to take pictures of?"

So I let her "borrow" my beer for 30 minutes. Damn, I hope it tastes as good as she made it look.

_1010477-Edit.jpeg

Boiling some water in preparation for washing yeast.

SWMBO: You are going to clean up your mess right?

Me: Yes.

SWMBO: Cause I'm not cleaning up!

Me: Have you ever cleaned up brewing stuff? Ever?

SWMBO: No, but I'm just making sure.

Whatever. I realize boiling a gallon of water makes a huge mess. WTF?

As I am heading out to the garage:
Her: Hey, what am I drinking tonight?
Me: What would you like?
Her: I don't know, something that I like that goes with (insert what she is cooking).

Just racked my ECY20 onto Raspberries yesterday.

Her: "Can I borrow that beer to take pictures of?"

So I let her "borrow" my beer for 30 minutes. Damn, I hope it tastes as good as she made it look.

how many likes did she get on insta and facebook?

Mine absolutely hate beer and wants nothing do with it. The other thing I get to hear is, "You're making the house smell like ****!"

Wife: The garage smells like a brewery!

Me: you like breweries

Wife: Not in the house.

(I go to garage and pour a glass of wine. Walk upstairs and sit next to her. I go to kitchen for crackers and cheese)

Me: I guess it's good having a brewery in the garage

Wife: Well it was sitting there I had to try it. You may want to get some yourself

Yeah, I have a great relationship with my wife, and we treat each other as adults, so I don't have a SWMBO.

She's not really a fan of beer, but we make cider together. We both enjoy that.

Me: Trying to keep a good exercise regime and staying in shape seems to be at odds with my homebrew hobby. Both take up a lot of time.

Her: Just lift the kegs more often.

When trying to get her to brew with me;

Me: Would you want to brew with me tomorrow?
Her: No, it's your thing. I am happy it's your thing.
Me: Come on!
Her: I just like to drink it.

I've had this conversation many times, then I deployed. Oh boy does she regret it everytime she walks past the 4 tap kegerator to get a bottle of domestic beer from the fridge.

I've had this conversation many times, then I deployed. Oh boy does she regret it everytime she walks past the 4 tap kegerator to get a bottle of domestic beer from the fridge.

Just send her our way and have her ask her questions. Maybe if you play your cards right it will be full when you get back.

My wife likes beer and while we do nearly everything together, she does value the hobbies that we enjoy independently. With our 3.5 year old and 1 year old, however, most brew days I get..."OK so what time are you starting and how long am I going to be on my own with the kids again?" She does enjoy sampling/drinking my beer, just doesn't love the time that I'm available to help out with the kids. It doesn't help that I seem to always plan my brew days on weekend when she has a lot to get done too...

Yeah, I have a great relationship with my wife, and we treat each other as adults, so I don't have a SWMBO.

She's not really a fan of beer, but we make cider together. We both enjoy that.

I, personally, view the SWMBO moniker as a symbol of respect. Mt wife and I also treat each other as equal partners and with respect, but I make no bones about the fact that is unquestionably the one that keeps the household running smoothly.

"Well, if you'd do normal things with your spare time like other men, instead of messing around with your stupid guns, Jeep, boats and beer, I might not complain."

How do you respond to a statement like that? What do 'normal' men do? :drunk:

I thought guns, Jeeps, boats and beer WERE normal. ...but add the tractor, RV, charcuterie, smoked meat, home made pizza, and golf and I think I got you covered.

SWMBO is always cool about my toys and hobby. She joins me routinely.

I thought guns, Jeeps, boats and beer WERE normal. ...but add the tractor, RV, charcuterie, smoked meat, home made pizza, and golf and I think I got you covered.

SWMBO is always cool about my toys and hobby. She joins me routinely.
I'm surprised she didn't throw my smokers and BBQs in while she was at it. Of course, she isn't in as good a shape as she used to be; maybe she just ran out of breath.

Sidebar - my brew day regimen has transitioned to coffee and water until the wort hits the fermenter. Used to be to pour a beer while I was firing up the mill, which led to another (and another), which lead to dumb little mistakes. I found that this was the final step to achieving consistency.

Anyone who comes to help or view the process is welcome to grab a glass and head for the taps however!

My wife is certainly NOT a beer drinker. The only one she has come close to enjoying is Lindeman Framboise. The cloying sweet raspberry lambic did enough to "hide that beer flavor" she hates. I've tried to get her to identify what it is -- she turns her nose up at malty beers and hoppy beers alike.

But I digress.

She has recently asked me when I'm going to brew again. I just brewed 20 gallons in October that is still keeping my cellar full, but I'm not going to argue if she wants me to make beer!

She does enjoy cider, so I am making a cinnamon vanilla cider for when she can drink again (pregnant with my son, due May 8) to say thank you to her for being awesome. Now, here's to hoping she likes the cider I made.

My wife drinks maybe half a dozen beers a year; her idea of a good one is Michelob. She snagged one of my Sierra Nevada Pale Ales a few months ago, took a big swig, and spat it out. I don't remember what she said verbatim, but it was pretty colorful. She was pouring it down the sink by the time I got across the room and rescued what was left of it.

Could've been worse. I also had a couple of Torpedoes setting in the fridge...

"Well, if you'd do normal things with your spare time like other men, instead of messing around with your stupid guns, Jeep, boats and beer, I might not complain."

How do you respond to a statement like that? What do 'normal' men do? :drunk:

Tell your wife thats pretty damn normal.

My wife is certainly NOT a beer drinker. The only one she has come close to enjoying is Lindeman Framboise. The cloying sweet raspberry lambic did enough to "hide that beer flavor" she hates. I've tried to get her to identify what it is -- she turns her nose up at malty beers and hoppy beers alike.

But I digress.

She has recently asked me when I'm going to brew again. I just brewed 20 gallons in October that is still keeping my cellar full, but I'm not going to argue if she wants me to make beer!

She does enjoy cider, so I am making a cinnamon vanilla cider for when she can drink again (pregnant with my son, due May 8) to say thank you to her for being awesome. Now, here's to hoping she likes the cider I made.

I thought they cant drink while still breast feeding. Dont have kids so idk but i thought i heard that somewhere.

When transferring brew late at night, I often leave the used carboy soaking in oxyclean over night. SWMBO wakes up earlier than I do for work and is forced to shower with said carboy. Well, I guess carboy showering was happening more often than not and told me "if I have to shower with that thing for more than a week, I'm going to pee in it!" ...............

:pipe:

$hit just got real...

When transferring brew late at night, I often leave the used carboy soaking in oxyclean over night. SWMBO wakes up earlier than I do for work and is forced to shower with said carboy. Well, I guess carboy showering was happening more often than not and told me "if I have to shower with that thing for more than a week, I'm going to pee in it!" ...............

:pipe:

$hit just got real...

Don't test her...

Back