Things SWMBO says on brewday:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found some Victory Hop Devil at the new walmart food dept over in Avon. It's still hot here by lunchtime. I'm dyin to brew the two PM IPA's I've got fixins for.

Mine is really supportive as well. Of course I used to get the "it stinks in here" when I first started brewing in the kitchen. She's never complained when I've bought new equipment, didn't complain when I started volunteering my weekends at the local micro brewery. Didn't complain when I became a partner at the brewery and she now works the taproom and does all our media and marketing. She learned the brewing community is full of awesome people. All this from a women that doesn't even like beer. I'd say I'm pretty lucky.

DoubleAught said:
Mine is really supportive as well. Of course I used to get the "it stinks in here" when I first started brewing in the kitchen. She's never complained when I've bought new equipment, didn't complain when I started volunteering my weekends at the local micro brewery. Didn't complain when I became a partner at the brewery and she now works the taproom and does all our media and marketing. She learned the brewing community is full of awesome people. All this from a women that doesn't even like beer. I'd say I'm pretty lucky.

Amen to being lucky! Mine apparently thinks I'm a worthless piece of **** because I said I liked an IPA tonight. "You just like to get drunk". FML

Not something she actually said... Yet. Yesterday i broke the freon line on the kegerator I was building. For five seconds I contemplated the conversation we would have if food went bad after I took it out to make room for the keg in the kitchen fridge.

Remembered how comfy our bed is and decided I wanted to actually sleep in it

n240sxguy said:
Amen to being luck! Mine apparently thinks I'm a worthless piece of **** because I said I liked an IPA tonight. "You just like to get drunk". FML

Haha...that's funny! The only time mine ever says anything is when I do get drunk. Normally because my mouth overrides my brain. She won't say anything until the next day when I can comprehend how much of an ass I was...lol.

"Smells like hay" (referring to the mash)

<crinkles face> "Ewww" (referring to hops)

"Smells like beer" (referring to pale ale)

"This smells like beer too" (referring to oatmeal stout)

"Taste about the same to me" (referring to both said beers)

"Here" <hands me huge water> "You should drink some water." (after my first half-beer once boil has started)

"You want something to eat? Have fun!"

She has never developed a taste for beer, but loves that I love it. And loves that I have fun doing it. I don't plan a brewday on an anniversary or over pre-made plans, and she couldn't care less.

Not on a brew day, but once I got, "ick, this is disgusting but it tastes like a black IPA." (Which is what I was brewing...not a hefe or anything.)

I took it as a compliment.

When I tell my wife I'm going to brew she gives a look like it's an inconvenience and rolls her eyes. But let the keg of her favorite in the kegerator go empty and I get the same look along with a pout. Then she'll ask when I'm going to brew it again. I think the look on brewday is just an act.

Ha ha ha, your wife and mine must be sisters. She tells me I need to brew but when I do it's "how much longer" as I am milling the grain.

Not something she actually said... Yet. Yesterday i broke the freon line on the kegerator I was building. For five seconds I contemplated the conversation we would have if food went bad after I took it out to make room for the keg in the kitchen fridge.

Remembered how comfy our bed is and decided I wanted to actually sleep in it

My condolences on your kegerator half-whit, while your screen name is apropos to this incident, you seem the genius at relationship maintenance and taking care of life's other pipelines. :mug:

"I love the smell of the boiling wort."

"Oooh... those hops smell NICE."

"Don't worry about the kitchen floor. I'll get the mop."

(After sampling some cooled wort): "Oh WOW.. this is GOOD!"

Yeah.. my girl totally rocks.

That sounds like my wife too, way to go, she's a keeper !

Cheers :mug:

Not on brew day, but last night the wife told me she was proud of my brewing (6 batches so far). When I asked if she meant the quality or the effort I've put in, she replied that my beer didn't stink as much as she thought it would. I guess that's a compliment.

Fluffy unicorns?

its_so_fluffy_text_big.jpg

Meh, who gives a floc

Here's what I always hear:
5 minutes after a dinner-time mash-in "Hey, lets go out tonight"
me: "....you're joking, right?"

The SWMBO had her wedding shower last week. One of the games they played was marriage problems and resolution. Problems in one bowl and resolutions in another. One "problem" that she drew was "he is in the brewery all day and is not paying attention to you." The answer that was drawn does not matter. Her response was "I go see if there is anything I can do to help with a beer/coffee in hand." "Plus if I go in after the sparge I get grain for dog treats!" At that point the brewery was not seen as a "problem".

She is great! Not to happy that there are crates of stuff in the garage. She just wants me to be home to organize and set it all up. She has been a real trooper for the past year. Could not ask for a better partner. :ban:

The SWMBO had her wedding shower last week. One of the games they played was marriage problems and resolution. Problems in one bowl and resolutions in another. One "problem" that she drew was "he is in the brewery all day and is not paying attention to you." The answer that was drawn does not matter. Her response was "I go see if there is anything I can do to help with a beer/coffee in hand." "Plus if I go in after the sparge I get grain for dog treats!" At that point the brewery was not seen as a "problem".

She is great! Not to happy that there are crates of stuff in the garage. She just wants me to be home to organize and set it all up. She has been a real trooper for the past year. Could not ask for a better partner. :ban:

better keep that one!

Brew days: she works every other weekend, so I brew when she is at work to avoid taking up our time together. However when it comes to labeling the beers, the woman is a slave master! Every time I try to cut out and stick a few, but nope, they are never good enough. They are either 1* off on angle or the edges aren't cut exactly right.

But what can I say? she really does do a MUCH better job than me at labeling and enjoys doing it. When the labels are nice rectangles it only takes her maybe an hour, but some of the more complicated shapes have taken her hours and she never complains or quits.

"Don't use the good towels."
"Those are good towels."
"Those ones are too..."

"I didn't hide your tools."
"I don't know how that tool ended up in my junk drawer."

"It looks like it's going to rain."
"The news said it's going to rain."
"Was that rain?"

"Did you check your stuff outside?"
"Your thing isn't burning anymore but it sounds like gas is coming out."

"You should print that out so you don't have to use the computer."

"The cat is playing with your plastic thing."
"Your plastic thing went under the couch."

"Your hops look dead."
"The bugs ate your hop leaves."
"The wind knocked over your hops."

Teromous said:
"Don't use the good towels."
"Those are good towels."
"Those ones are too..."

"I didn't hide your tools."
"I don't know how that tool ended up in my junk drawer."

"It looks like it's going to rain."
"The news said it's going to rain."
"Was that rain?"

"Did you check your stuff outside?"
"Your thing isn't burning anymore but it sounds like gas is coming out."

"You should print that out so you don't have to use the computer."

"The cat is playing with your plastic thing."
"Your plastic thing went under the couch."

"Your hops look dead."
"The bugs ate your hop leaves."
"The wind knocked over your hops."

Hilarious !!

"Sure, I could use another beer"
"This is gonna be a 90 minute boil..."
"Thanks for cleaning the mash tun!"

It sure is nice having help on brew days, and he even helped me make this:

image-3666670916.jpg

not SWMBO but a friend who helped me brew yesterday asked "is that the hops?" pointing to a bucket of crushed grain

Not a brew day, but I was fiddling with some brewing equipment in the kitchen. She was also in the kitchen, working on canning some stuff. Every time she walked past me, she'd grab my butt... she finally said "I like having you in my kitchen... so I can fondle your @ss."

I'm finding myself a little sad that I'll be brewing in the basement... lol

And I don't. I also don't have a woman who wears my pants.

To answer the OP, here's how our convo goes:

Me: I'm brewing today
Her: Cool

other situations..

Her: I'm taking the dog to the park/running/going shopping/visiting friends today
Me: Cool

Not hard.

Sounds like you've got yourself a great roommate there. Does she pay her share of the rent on time, too?

Mine is mostly worried about me burning myself. My first brewday, she wasn't here and thus didn't say anything. My second brewday she was sick and spent the whole time on the couch, but every time I came through she would ask how it was going and if I was being careful. Last time she spent more time outside with me, and even helped me a bit. She asked a bunch of questions about the process. At first she was very skeptical about spreading the spent grains on the garden, but now she's a believer. :)

My only gripe is that she won't let me build any kind of pipeline. I have to be down to my last one before she'll let me brew again. But really it's not as big of a deal anymore because we're on a low carb diet, which means beer once a week, and thus a batch lasts much longer. I can have new before the other is gone.

Her: How much beer do you HAVE to make?
Me: As much as I can. Time is my enemy, not money.

Her: You have a problem.
Me: Yes I do. I don't have enough time to brew 2 batches today. That's my biggest problem.

Her: Do you need that much "stuff" to make beer?
Me: Do you need that many "shoes" to wear?

Her: Isn't just buying beer cheaper?
Me: Nope, but I do need to make a run to the store for more spring water for the next batch. Thanks for reminding me!

Her: Man that smells!
Me: Wonderful you mean? Why yes it does!

:fro:

Back