Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea.

There's nothing professional about this man. He's a moody whimsical unhappy man who takes pleasure in controlling people.

If anyone is looking to hire a project management type person, I'm on the market for a new job and have 10 years of experience in the nuclear field, been a lead technician for 5 years, have a bachelors degree in english so I can write, generally good guy unless you ask my boss :D

If he has his own office and you are still there next April, pull an April Fools gag on him by "Debbie Downer"-ing his office.

:D

I worked for a place that did business between 7am and 3pm (3pm is when the majority of the staff left and most work has come to a complete stop) My boss would come in between oh I don't know...10...10:30 then start gossiping about her day until about 11:30 in which case most people are now sitting down for lunch, so she will eat lunch with the staff until about 12:15ish. So now its nearly 12:30 she just opened her email and is reading the days agenda and everyone else is literally wrapping the day up.

With all that being said she would always complain that people didn't want to stay until 5pm or later when they got to work on time between 6:30-7am when they were supposed to and want to leave at the time they are scheduled. She said that they had no work ethic b/c of this. She also would say how much better her work ethic is compared to everyone else and would continue to rub it in every ones face how late she stays at night to get things done and no one else does the same.

However, I could probably over look some of this except that she needs everyone to stay late with her b/c shes a complete idiot and rely's solely on her staff to get anything done so she can take credit for it. I dislike her and when the time came I quit in the middle of a very important project knowing good and well she couldn't do it without me. Why? Because she made me work 60hrs a week on work I can finish in 35 hour weeks b/c she couldn't come in on time and constantly reminded me that I needed to stay late until the works is done on a salary pay and if I didn't do that then I had no ethics.

I hope this is how you let her know you quit:

rub-it-in-your-face-middle-finger-in-your-face.gif

Supervisor just walked into a conversation about pecan pie while we were working. Called us into his office and told us to cut the useless chatter. He doesn't want to hear talking unless it's about work. I hate this man.

Tell him to eat a bowl of dicks. Wtf. Screw this guy.

Tell him to eat a bowl of dicks. Wtf. Screw this guy.

Yeah, I was thinking about this and I wouldn't have been able to ignore the opportunity to look at my watch at the end of the meeting and point out that he'd just wasted x number of minutes times x number of employees bitching us out for wasting time talking while we were being otherwise productive.

Wanna have some fun? tell him that you suspect that for the last several months Bill has been pecker-whipping his coffee mug every chance he gets.

OK, White People Problems but this one got me today.

Today was closing day. I handle about $16M in accruals on closing day. Closing day is stressful.

Every time closing is coming up I do a pre-closing activity to help out my division and as a courtesy allow all the other divisions access to the data. I also includes a warning "Tomorrow will be the closing runs so please exit the database this evening before leaving and to not open it until the email that it is updated is sent."

Today, someone from one of those "courtesy" divisions contacted me that data in the database was inaccurate. "When did you pull it?" "About 1 minute ago". So I resent the email from yesterday and politely asked that he exit the database as the update takes HOURS longer if someone is in it. He proceeds to inform me that the way he accesses it does not affect my update. I send him the screenshot showing that he has "locked" the database.

This jerkwad then schedules a meeting with me and his boss (but he did finally exit) for Monday morning at 8. He did not invite my boss. He ignored my blocked out hours of 5 AM to 9 AM for reporting updates.

I declined his meeting, proposed a new time and added an agenda item of their division paying their fair share of the cost of the weekly, pre-accrual and closing updates to the database...and I invited my boss. My boss laughed and told me to block all outside access to the database...and when people asked why, refer them to the jerkwad in question. There will be 40 angry folks on Monday...and the Monday after...and Year end might be really tense.

All because he could not wait an additional hour. Might I add I show up at 4 AM on closing to make sure everyone has what they need by 10 AM...I was cranky.

...I was cranky.

No, you were pretty laid back. I have a zero tolerance policy for imbeciles. I have a job that means I get to see people at their worst. My method is to email their boss, copying them and my boss, and explain why I'm disappointed in their behavior, explaining that I know their boss will handle the situation.

In the few occasions when this hasn't provided relief, I email their boss's boss and explain the situation and ask for a resolution.

Now, I get away with this only because it's very rarely used. The first time you do it, word will get out and it becomes unnecessary. It helps that my boss's boss is a tyrant who feels like he has to fire at least one person a month to stay in practice and he has the authority to do anyone in. I mentioned once that he is "the one who knocks". I had to explain it to him.

Today was closing day. I handle about $16M in accruals on closing day. Closing day is stressful.

Every time closing is coming up I do a pre-closing activity to help out my division and as a courtesy allow all the other divisions access to the data. I also includes a warning "Tomorrow will be the closing runs so please exit the database this evening before leaving and to not open it until the email that it is updated is sent."

Today, someone from one of those "courtesy" divisions contacted me that data in the database was inaccurate. "When did you pull it?" "About 1 minute ago". So I resent the email from yesterday and politely asked that he exit the database as the update takes HOURS longer if someone is in it. He proceeds to inform me that the way he accesses it does not affect my update. I send him the screenshot showing that he has "locked" the database.

This jerkwad then schedules a meeting with me and his boss (but he did finally exit) for Monday morning at 8. He did not invite my boss. He ignored my blocked out hours of 5 AM to 9 AM for reporting updates.

I declined his meeting, proposed a new time and added an agenda item of their division paying their fair share of the cost of the weekly, pre-accrual and closing updates to the database...and I invited my boss. My boss laughed and told me to block all outside access to the database...and when people asked why, refer them to the jerkwad in question. There will be 40 angry folks on Monday...and the Monday after...and Year end might be really tense.

All because he could not wait an additional hour. Might I add I show up at 4 AM on closing to make sure everyone has what they need by 10 AM...I was cranky.

I want to know the post meeting update and fallout!

No, you were pretty laid back. I have a zero tolerance policy for imbeciles.
My (temporary) new boss has taken a "no tolerance" policy to other division riding on the coattails of what the Capital Projects Group has accomplished. He is a 32 year veteran of the refinery. I have a feeling this meeting will be very different than originally intended.

As an aside, jerkwad...works for the same contracting company I do so now I have to report the incident internally. He and I are the two "golden boys" of our company so an internal come-to-Jesus meeting is inevitable. Neither of us will lose our job but jerkwad is about to find out the difference between $1.5M billable and $450K billable for our company. He is a tiny man in more ways than he may understand.

PS those two dollar values are not our billable rates...they are the billable rates of all the folks in our respective divisions from our contracting company.

This morning peer feedback sent to an unknown agent in my company :

Please refrain to send an all caps message this is not needed, nor any unnecessary additional comments you made.

Everyone makes mistakes and while it is important to correct these mistakes and ensure that whoever made the mistake understand where the error was made and how it could have been avoided we do need to keep a professional tone while communicating about it.

And please be mindful that anyone can make a mistake, you are receiving this peer feedback after escalating this issue to the wrong team and inappropriately blaming them for the error you made 2 weeks ago and created this lengthy issue for your customer. Do not worry about it anymore I have ensured that this issue is resolved and that proper communication about it is provided to your customer ( well ours really at that point as he already came back to us for his next order as he was happy with the swift resolution provided.

Kind regards

PS : please pardon my digression concerning the new account I won today, but I wanted to make sure you did not heard about it from your ex customer on the 1st day of the next quarter, having a heads up on a lost account is always nice as it help us to be prepared to explain why we lost the account to our manager.

PPS : I forgot your manager will provide the peer feedback as per company policy, no need for you to explain why you lost the account he already read about it.

I feel ya. In our world it seems that someone built reports that people can actually leave open, on their workstations. This then locks the whole database for some monthly work. I get the notifications when the job fails. GREAT design and WONDERFUL users....sigh.

Your boss is awesome. Nice when someone has the balls to tell everyone off. If someone at my plant screws something up, everyone gets to sit through a little meeting about why not to do whatever was screwed up. They can't just tell the person who screwed up why not to do that anymore.

This morning peer feedback sent to an unknown agent in my company :

Please refrain to send an all caps message this is not needed, nor any unnecessary additional comments you made.

Everyone makes mistakes and while it is important to correct these mistakes and ensure that whoever made the mistake understand where the error was made and how it could have been avoided we do need to keep a professional tone while communicating about it.

And please be mindful that anyone can make a mistake, you are receiving this peer feedback after escalating this issue to the wrong team and inappropriately blaming them for the error you made 2 weeks ago and created this lengthy issue for your customer. Do not worry about it anymore I have ensured that this issue is resolved and that proper communication about it is provided to your customer ( well ours really at that point as he already came back to us for his next order as he was happy with the swift resolution provided.

Kind regards

PS : please pardon my digression concerning the new account I won today, but I wanted to make sure you did not heard about it from your ex customer on the 1st day of the next quarter, having a heads up on a lost account is always nice as it help us to be prepared to explain why we lost the account to our manager.

PPS : I forgot your manager will provide the peer feedback as per company policy, no need for you to explain why you lost the account he already read about it.

Wow

Coworker is always last to arrive, first to leave and calls in sick on about a weekly basis.

1. Annoyed at Coworker for insinuating nobody does anything around the office, and everybody takes too much vacation. Then saying crap like "It's inconsiderate to come into the office with so much as a cold and sharing that with everybody around here."

2. Annoyed at boss for letting this crap continue.

Same guy I mentioned 100x already also smells worse than any human being I've ever experienced. It's like B.O. plus sweat socks plus something growing in the skin-folds that don't get clean. It's so bad that you can walk down an empty hallway and smell that he must've passed-by not long ago. If he leaves a room, it smells like him for a good 5 minutes afterwards. I've mentioned it to my boss...I mean, hygiene is something they can demand as employers, right? Someone help me here. I can't stand to be 10' from the guy but I don't want to come off like the "complainer"

I had one of those, I fixed it.

I bought a can of spray lysol, eveytime he came with in 5 ft of me
I started spraying till he left.

It took a week,his dense ass finally got the message

do not say a word, just spray

I found co-workers so annoying that I haven't had a job in 35 years........ My work ethic was "The company needs to make a profit for me to have a job" .......... Nothing more and nothing less. I "flew the flag", and everything I did was productivity / profit oriented, and my tolerance for those who didn't was zero or less. I always documented everything in terms of operations from my late teens onward..... What worked and why it worked, what didn't and why it didn't.. and that included "human liabilities, and every week a write up of my notes went to management...... and I'm sure many of them went into "file 13".......... Many didn't as I saw changes instituted........... I was the "co-worker from hell"........... You throw a monkey wrench into the works..........literal or figurative, and I'd jump in the middle of your "s__t", and you know for a fact that management will know. I regard business as a team, and the goal is to win..........I've never worked for a publicly traded company without owning stock in the company....... even if it's just a few shares..............

Unfortunately it's a losing battle........the world is full of idiots and ********........ I want to make it work...... it seems sometimes like everybody else wants to make it fail. I had a series of employees over the years since I quit working for other people......... until I got tired of dealing with the very same stupidity........ I learned that being a big shot with numerous people working for you generated more cash flow, and more problems, and sometimes more profit..... sometimes not. That "quality of life" deteriorates with complexity and complications.

I have many less customers these days, but the bond between us is far stronger, and the trust 100%.......... I don't promise what I can't deliver, and I deliver it with my own hands. My income is far less, but my freedom is far more. Customers know that if they have a crisis, I will put other plans on hold and leave no stone unturned in dealing with it....... And they pay well and willingly for what I offer. Self employment is not cake walk... it's a 24 / 7 commitment. If I'm hundreds or thousands of miles away when I get the call, I know what resources are available and deploy those resources relentlessly until the problem is solved......... People know that when they call me, the problem WILL be handled one way or another, wherever I am.......... And that's the foundation of my business.

I would not go back to a situation where I had "co-workers" for all the tea in China....I'm not a hard person to get along with.... If you are a team player. I will back you up every inch of he way ..........If you are NOT, I will destroy you without mercy, and never look back....... You will find me to be the co-worker from hell!! If you cheat, steal, sabatoge, etc........ Look out..... I'll get you! You may not work for or with me, but I am utterly relentless!! I've literally "fired" people who work for customers. "You are through here... You'd just as well "pack your bags", and in each of the several cases, it was "sound advice".............My relationship of trust with management was such that they were done. My tolerance for BS is zero!! I can be an absolute ******* when I need to be.

I'm not the "co-worker from hell"...........I'm far worse..........

H.W.
Now you sound like my kinda guy! I would be very interested in your business

The people I work with are apparently reptiles, they keep turning the heat up to what I consider outrageous levels. 72*F is just too damned hot people, especially in winter. I keep turning it down to 65*F, it's a neverending battle. Even in summer these morons are turning the heat up...
Go figure.
Regards, GF.

The people I work with are apparently reptiles, they keep turning the heat up to what I consider outrageous levels. 72*F is just too damned hot people, especially in winter. I keep turning it down to 65*F, it's a neverending battle. Even in summer these morons are turning the heat up...
Go figure.
Regards, GF.
Dude, I will HAPPILY trade you. My coworkers aren't happy at 72°. They'd set it at 75-77° if I'd let them.

My house is set at 60°.

When the people here that don't know how to dress for the weather turn the heat up, I turn it up even more. Instead of baking all day, just cook them real quick.

Go figure.
Regards, GF.

I live in Texas 65 degrees is "freezing cold". The lowest setting the AC will ever see is 68 and that's in the dead middle of Winter.

My last job had this lady there that'd flip out if you ever turned the heat down from 'Blazing'. We got into some verbal arguments many a time. Ridiculous. This one is actually bearable, but still too warm for me. Some days I don't even feel like drinking my coffee it's too warm. A real First World Problem, I know.

My last job had this lady there that'd flip out if you ever turned the heat down from 'Blazing'. We got into some verbal arguments many a time. Ridiculous. This one is actually bearable, but still too warm for me. Some days I don't even feel like drinking my coffee it's too warm. A real First World Problem, I know.

A simple reminder that they can put more clothes on, while you can only remove so much before things start getting awkward can help.

A simple reminder that they can put more clothes on, while you can only remove so much before things start getting awkward can help.

I am always cold in my office, ESPECIALLY in the summer time. I have a lightweight jacket that remains at work - i wear it everyday. Then i get people asking "Cold?" "Why don't you stay a while?" etc.

So even though I don't complain about the temp for me (I still deal with crap from people)

So even though I don't complain about the temp for me (I still deal with crap from people)

I wear a 'winter' hat all the time, mostly because I've worn one since I worked at a summer camp in high school. Even middle of summer, it could get cold in a tent at camp. Now it's more a fact that I feel naked without it. So, I go through the same **** at work, or at least I did. The last time some kid from production asked if I was cold, I asked him if he was homeless, referring to the sweatpants he wears to work on a daily basis. My normal response is usually that they will never hear me complain about the weather. They leave me alone for the most part now.

On the Monday after Thanksgiving, I was walking across the parking lot. All the doors of the building were propped open...odd. When I stepped inside I understood why.

Over the 4-day holiday weekend (we get Thanksgiving and the Friday after off), the thermostat on the boiler broke...in the "open" position. So for some portion of 4 days, the boiler ran non-stop. It was 90* in the building when the first people arrived Monday morning. Even my perpetually-cold admin had to turn off the heater in her office.

This really could be filed under the #firstworldproblems section, but it can get annoying at times.

We use a ticket system for our tech needs. When people have issues they submit their ticket, we can reply or make comments on the ticket which allows us to keep the user updated on progress or ask questions. When we "Resolve" a ticket it sends a resolved note to the user and clears it out of the ticket system. If a user replies to the resolved notice it re-opens the ticket. Usually when this happens it means the problem wasn't actually resolved. However about 95% of the time it is someone replying with "Thank you". Which since the ticket was already resolved automatically puts it back into the persons queue of tickets to take care of and heightens it priority level. We have some users that are notorious "Thank you" givers and will always reply with thank you to any resolved ticket, even is its just us resolving your "thank you" note from earlier...

A thank you the next time you see us in the hallway is plenty, clogging up our workflow and slowing down our completion of other tickets for a thank you note is not appreciated.

The constant whining from my coworkers.

"Good god why does it smell like **** in here?"
"Omg you're right I thought it was just me... wtf is that?"
"That's disgusting, I can't work like this."

*look down to see i hit a puppy landmine this morning*
"Yeah that's gross, must be the bathroom again."
*slink outside to the lawn*

The constant whining from my coworkers.

"Good god why does it smell like **** in here?"
"Omg you're right I thought it was just me... wtf is that?"
"That's disgusting, I can't work like this."

*look down to see i hit a puppy landmine this morning*
"Yeah that's gross, must be the bathroom again."
*slink outside to the lawn*

Fwiw... I would complain if it smelled like dog **** at work.

Fwiw... I would complain if it smelled like dog **** at work.

Unfortunately my coworker who carries around a non k9 version of that smell was complained about by me and I was told that smell is not complain-worthy because it may be a health issue. Doesnt stop me from complaining, I just use less official channels for it.

Unfortunately my coworker who carries around a non k9 version of that smell was complained about by me and I was told that smell is not complain-worthy because it may be a health issue. Doesnt stop me from complaining, I just use less official channels for it.

Ugh... Yes, it is. Sounds like someone just didn't want to have that conversation.

Well, it seems the pool of raises went to all the new people, as I got the lowest amount in some years. That kind of annoys me, that people with seniority and THE DAMN KNOWLEDGE are penalized for the time they have in...
Well, at least I got the rest of the money I was gathering for the Zymatic I've been wanting.

Well, it seems the pool of raises went to all the new people, as I got the lowest amount in some years. That kind of annoys me, that people with seniority and THE DAMN KNOWLEDGE are penalized for the time they have in...
Well, at least I got the rest of the money I was gathering for the Zymatic I've been wanting.

Wages have been drastically cut for entry level positions since the beginning and ending of the recession (didn't it end more than 5 years ago?) Since then increases have ranged from underwhelming to nonexistent (I understand this is also the case for experienced workers.)

Now that the economy is picking up, those who have been penalized for the mere timing of their entry to the work force need to a) catch up a little and b) be given incentive to stay because others will finally give them a salary bump for going elsewhere while the 'senior staff' may not be able to get the same. If giving you 5% is equivalent to giving 2 (or more) newer minions the same- they probably roll the dice that you'll settle for less.

Wages have been drastically cut for entry level positions since the beginning and ending of the recession (didn't it end more than 5 years ago?) Since then increases have ranged from underwhelming to nonexistent (I understand this is also the case for experienced workers.)

Now that the economy is picking up, those who have been penalized for the mere timing of their entry to the work force need to a) catch up a little and b) be given incentive to stay because others will finally give them a salary bump for going elsewhere while the 'senior staff' may not be able to get the same. If giving you 5% is equivalent to giving 2 (or more) newer minions the same- they probably roll the dice that you'll settle for less.

Not to mention it seems that unless you are at director level or above there is definitely a pay rate ceiling for your position. You may have reached it oldtimer

Back