Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets be nice. This is his opinion on how work works best. Opinions are like A-Holes. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks that everyone elses stinks.

Besides, we are getting combatative, And there are many other flavors of annoying coworkers. The ones that ask the same question 4 times a day every day and do not learn from experience. or do not want to.

Let me go back to my stinky coworker. Body odors are distracting and offensive, but it could be medical so you cant say anything.
Forced office political correctness or whatever the term is now, you should be able to good naturedly harass coworkers without fear of being fired. I find work tends to, well, work better when you can have a little fun with it.

The woman who works an 8 to 5 shift with a 1 hour lunch. Takes her lunch at 3, comes back at 4, leaves at 5. Don't know why, but this bugs me to no end and her lunch time has no effect on my job whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dear lord what did I start...

All managers and business owners have their own styles. Some industries require a person to be a rough/gritty at times. Being polite only takes you so far when a company you contract with falls short or fails on what they are supposed to be capable of doing. I have my fair share of issues with a truck dealer that is "certified" to work on our fleet trucks. The latest issue was they had to special order a 100 foot network cable to reprogram the ecm. They didn't like it when I started asking asking why something from the local electronics store would not work (cat5e or cat6 cable?) or why not move the truck closer? Our truck was magically ready on Friday after I asked if I needed to tow it to another shop.

I do not think ubnserved is practicing improper terminations, if he is he probably has a really good legal team keeping him in business. With internet sites like glassdoor you can not hide poor leadership/management practices.

Let me go back to my stinky coworker. Body odors are distracting and offensive, but it could be medical so you cant say anything.
Forced office political correctness or whatever the term is now, you should be able to good naturedly harass coworkers without fear of being fired. I find work tends to, well, work better when you can have a little fun with it.

I call work my super dysfunctional family.

Golly.... This thread went from fun to angry fast.

you shoulda seen me in the bar (or just in public) 10 years ago. hahahaa!!!

we have this guy that has to have his nose in everyone's business. since our plant moved to a new building in a different town, I've lost work space. this butthole is all worried about another coworker moving into the spot next to me and trying to tell me how I need to rearrange my area so this other guy has room to store the knuckle jig. butthole's afraid it's gonna end up in his end of the shop. he's also worried about when I go on lunch, even though it affects NO ONE in the shop when any of us go on lunch. floccin' annoying.

Intimidation is a supervisory style that can work very well---at least up to a point and depending on the type of work being done. It's popular because it takes the least amount of skill. All you need is a lack of empathy and a willingness to be ruthless.

Being a leader that motivates people to be part of something greater (a team) is not that easy, and takes a certain amount of talent.

Now take a look at the drones that "We the People" pay to support and provide us with limitless torment. I have yet to witness a single instance of public teat sucking, er... government employment, where there was any kind of leadership at all. The only emphasis that they seem to share is to not make waves or attract attention to themselves (and by extension their supervisors), while all continue what is most important of all to them... keeping their typically useless jobs.

As a taxpayer I would have to say that nearly every government employee that we pay annoys the crap out of me. From the power tripping, pre-pubescent, half idiot local police, who seem to have completely forgotten that whole "protect and serve" thing, to the crooked, 'roid raging, power tripping HLS criminal that I witnessed selling expensive gear that we paid for to a local gun shop owner. From the "talk to the hand" beotches at the Vital Records office who threatened to put my request for a Birth Certificate copy back on the bottom of their pile if I didn't just sit down and shut up (I asked once after a two hour wait how much longer they thought it might be... while they were all taking turns doing their nails and eating at their desks while BS'ing about everything under the sun), to the County roads crew that used to sit down the street from my house and play cards in their truck for half the day... every day, and to their supervisor who couldn't have cared less because "they always mange to finish everything that they are supposed to do". I guess the idea of firing half of their unnecessary azzes would never occur to anyone.

[ I tried to report the HLS criminal to their IG but they refused to even take my complaint. It was filed in writing (per their requirements) and after three attempts they never responded and refused to discuss any of it over the phone. I was also not allowed to visit their secret and secure facility in person (again, remember, these anus leakage puddles work for us). Then I filed the same complaint with Mr. Holder's office, since the HLS IG wasn't doing their job at all. Six months of the same kind of BS later their "investigator" finally sent me a letter stating that they could find nothing wrong. I insisted on meeting the idiot in person again and he informed me that when he asked the HLS (thief) if he had done what I claimed... he said no... so investigation concluded. I think gobsmacked best describes my state upon being told that. We had met in a public library, and when I took issue with his idiocy he very condescendingly "e'splained" to me in his best Ebonics, that he was "a investigator, not a detective". I walked ten steps to the reference section and took down the Oxford Unabridged, looked up "investigator" for him, placed a bookmark, and then looked up "detective" for him. Remarkably, an "investigator" is one who detects, and a "detective" is one who investigates. This inarticulate maroon was on-line, looking at $400,000 houses near Philly when I arrived, and he left driving a brand new 500 series Mercedes, and that ain't no lie or exaggeration in the least. He also admitted to having kids by three different women, none of which he was married to, so I guess that explains how he could afford the house and car(s) (he also had a new Camry... with the gold trim package, that he was driving the first time that we met). His credentials BTW... six years in the Navy... as a cook. Somehow managed to make E-5 in just those six years... impressive.
NOT!]

Met an English major with zero business background who worked for the SBA. He admitted that his duties amounted to printing out a copy of a report, when requested by his likewise useless supervisor, that was wholly promulgated by a new software package. There were eight useless tits on a bore hog just like him in his office. The reports were nothing more than a synopsis of the utilization of SBA guarantees. Of course since lending guidelines for small businesses all tightened up after the mortgage melt down (one has nothing at all to do with the other, but that's where all of the liquidity went) his department, by his own admission, didn't even have enough to keep just one of them busy. His pay and benefit package BTW, like the rest of the Ferals in and around DC, averages almost $140,000 a year. When I suggested that we should fire all of them, since there wasn't any reason to have them in the first place, he very immediately and sincerely responded that we couldn't of course, but beside that, that when the economy recovered we would need them once again. Imagine that... first of all we never "needed" any of the crap that they supposedly do anyway. Secondly, where else in the world can you get a job and sit around doing nothing because someone might need you sometime in the future??? And of course everybody is enjoying this wondrous economic recovery right?

Maybe if ya work for the Feral government. :mad:

There is absolutely no incentive to work hard or do a good job in government employ, and yet we continue to idiotically pay for ever more and more of it while us and or many of our friends and neighbors suffer.

One of the most insultingly stupid things I've ever been told (and it was by that same SBA pustule) was that they just have to be paid that well, because they work in D.C., and well it's expensive to live and commute there. When I pointed out that that was a direct reflection of their all being over paid to begin with, and that there were simply way too many of them to start, he honestly couldn't grasp the corollary. When I asked him WTF the unfortunate people that weren't working for the Ferals were supposed to do, since they most definitely weren't making what this idiot made, he sincerely suggested that they would have to find a cheaper place to live. :cross:
I guess the guy that details his BMW should commute from West Virginia. :rolleyes:

There just ain't enough beer in all the world to make that sound right, no matter how hard I drink. :(

Ya see, this is why I don't leave the house much anymore. It's everywhere. :(

you shoulda seen me in the bar (or just in public) 10 years ago. hahahaa!!!

we have this guy that has to have his nose in everyone's business. since our plant moved to a new building in a different town, I've lost work space. this butthole is all worried about another coworker moving into the spot next to me and trying to tell me how I need to rearrange my area so this other guy has room to store the knuckle jig. butthole's afraid it's gonna end up in his end of the shop. he's also worried about when I go on lunch, even though it affects NO ONE in the shop when any of us go on lunch. floccin' annoying.

One of my past businesses was a Commercial Construction company, and we had a contract to build out new offices for Ryland Homes mortgage division I think it was. Each floor was sub-divided into a giant ring of identical Class 'A' drone cells, and the bank's project manager was emphatic that they must all be exactly the same identical size. As luck would have it two of the corner offices ended up with 3/8 of an inch more space in one dimension... across something like 240+ feet of offices along just one side of the building. We actually had to laminate an additional layer of specially sourced ('cuz nobody was stocking 3/8" thick sheet rock) material to the wall to make the 3/8" disappear. I thought it was all just a seriously sick and retarded joke until the actual occupants showed up, and literally more than a dozen of them immediately went to crawling around the empty spaces with tape measures to make sure that they either got the biggest one, or that nobody elses was bigger. :cross:

Also owned a cabinet and fabricating shop. The surest way in the world to turn my cabinet makers' and metal fabricators' world upside down was to try and move something in "their" shop. Just the mention of a new piece of equipment had everybody streaming in and out of my office for weeks (some wanted it closer, some couldn't get it far enough away from them, etc.) and this was after a team meeting where they all supposedly decided that we needed this gear. They were all great workers that did fantastic work, and I did what I could to accommodate everybody, but it always used to amuse me just how territorial they got anytime somebody threatened "their" space. :)

Now take a look at the drones that "We the People" pay to support and provide us with limitless torment. I have yet to witness a single instance of public teat sucking, er... government employment, where there was any kind of leadership at all. The only emphasis that they seem to share is to not make waves or attract attention to themselves (and by extension their supervisors), while all continue what is most important of all to them... keeping their typically useless jobs.

As a taxpayer I would have to say that nearly every government employee that we pay annoys the crap out of me. From the power tripping, pre-pubescent, half idiot local police, who seem to have completely forgotten that whole "protect and serve" thing, to the crooked, 'roid raging, power tripping HLS criminal that I witnessed selling expensive gear that we paid for to a local gun shop owner. From the "talk to the hand" beotches at the Vital Records office who threatened to put my request for a Birth Certificate copy back on the bottom of their pile if I didn't just sit down and shut up (I asked once after a two hour wait how much longer they thought it might be... while they were all taking turns doing their nails and eating at their desks while BS'ing about everything under the sun), to the County roads crew that used to sit down the street from my house and play cards in their truck for half the day... every day, and to their supervisor who couldn't have cared less because "they always mange to finish everything that they are supposed to do". I guess the idea of firing half of their unnecessary azzes would never occur to anyone.

[ I tried to report the HLS criminal to their IG but they refused to even take my complaint. It was filed in writing (per their requirements) and after three attempts they never responded and refused to discuss any of it over the phone. I was also not allowed to visit their secret and secure facility in person (again, remember, these anus leakage puddles work for us). Then I filed the same complaint with Mr. Holder's office, since the HLS IG wasn't doing their job at all. Six months of the same kind of BS later their "investigator" finally sent me a letter stating that they could find nothing wrong. I insisted on meeting the idiot in person again and he informed me that when he asked the HLS (thief) if he had done what I claimed... he said no... so investigation concluded. I think gobsmacked best describes my state upon being told that. We had met in a public library, and when I took issue with his idiocy he very condescendingly "e'splained" to me in his best Ebonics, that he was "a investigator, not a detective". I walked ten steps to the reference section and took down the Oxford Unabridged, looked up "investigator" for him, placed a bookmark, and then looked up "detective" for him. Remarkably, an "investigator" is one who detects, and a "detective" is one who investigates. This inarticulate maroon was on-line, looking at $400,000 houses near Philly when I arrived, and he left driving a brand new 500 series Mercedes, and that ain't no lie or exaggeration in the least. He also admitted to having kids by three different women, none of which he was married to, so I guess that explains how he could afford the house and car(s) (he also had a new Camry... with the gold trim package, that he was driving the first time that we met). His credentials BTW... six years in the Navy... as a cook. Somehow managed to make E-5 in just those six years... impressive.
NOT!]

Met an English major with zero business background who worked for the SBA. He admitted that his duties amounted to printing out a copy of a report, when requested by his likewise useless supervisor, that was wholly promulgated by a new software package. There were eight useless tits on a bore hog just like him in his office. The reports were nothing more than a synopsis of the utilization of SBA guarantees. Of course since lending guidelines for small businesses all tightened up after the mortgage melt down (one has nothing at all to do with the other, but that's where all of the liquidity went) his department, by his own admission, didn't even have enough to keep just one of them busy. His pay and benefit package BTW, like the rest of the Ferals in and around DC, averages almost $140,000 a year. When I suggested that we should fire all of them, since there wasn't any reason to have them in the first place, he very immediately and sincerely responded that we couldn't of course, but beside that, that when the economy recovered we would need them once again. Imagine that... first of all we never "needed" any of the crap that they supposedly do anyway. Secondly, where else in the world can you get a job and sit around doing nothing because someone might need you sometime in the future??? And of course everybody is enjoying this wondrous economic recovery right?

Maybe if ya work for the Feral government. :mad:

There is absolutely no incentive to work hard or do a good job in government employ, and yet we continue to idiotically pay for ever more and more of it while us and or many of our friends and neighbors suffer.

One of the most insultingly stupid things I've ever been told (and it was by that same SBA pustule) was that they just have to be paid that well, because they work in D.C., and well it's expensive to live and commute there. When I pointed out that that was a direct reflection of their all being over paid to begin with, and that there were simply way too many of them to start, he honestly couldn't grasp the corollary. When I asked him WTF the unfortunate people that weren't working for the Ferals were supposed to do, since they most definitely weren't making what this idiot made, he sincerely suggested that they would have to find a cheaper place to live. :cross:
I guess the guy that details his BMW should commute from West Virginia. :rolleyes:

There just ain't enough beer in all the world to make that sound right, no matter how hard I drink. :(

Ya see, this is why I don't leave the house much anymore. It's everywhere. :(

I've dealt with more than my share of bureaucratic ineptitude. The thousands of dollars it has cost me is not as bad as the frustration of being in a Catch-22 situation (I'll spare the details).

There are plenty of hard working government employees, however. I would not paint with as broad a brush. And not all jobs pay those six figure salaries.

BTW, the reference to Ebonics could be misconstrued. I know that all government employees annoy you, it's just that so many people use it as a code word.

Commercial radio station listeners in a cubicle farm!!!! The same damn songs every other song!!! Between this and flourescent lighting do you wonder why work place violence is on the rise??? LOL

Commercial radio station listeners in a cubicle farm!!!! The same damn songs every other song!!! Between this and flourescent lighting do you wonder why work place violence is on the rise??? LOL

You would think with over 1,000 songs any radio station could make a playlist that would not repeat in less than 4 hours...

Secondly, where else in the world can you get a job and sit around doing nothing because someone might need you sometime in the future??? And of course everybody is enjoying this wondrous economic recovery right?

Not to start an argument, or maybe that is my reasoning. I dont know. Kinda fried in mental capacity now.

Firefighters, military grunts and police are technically working and 'on call' for when they are needed. Does it incense you that firefighters get paid to sleep, eat, etc?

And for government workers, there is a tradeoff. Contractors cost far more money, but are easier to let go. Government employees get a kind of tenure and take quite a bit of work to get rid of.

The woman who works an 8 to 5 shift with a 1 hour lunch. Takes her lunch at 3, comes back at 4, leaves at 5. Don't know why, but this bugs me to no end and her lunch time has no effect on my job whatsoever.

I'll bet she's picking her kids up from school!

Not to start an argument, or maybe that is my reasoning. I dont know. Kinda fried in mental capacity now.

Firefighters, military grunts and police are technically working and 'on call' for when they are needed. Does it incense you that firefighters get paid to sleep, eat, etc?

And for government workers, there is a tradeoff. Contractors cost far more money, but are easier to let go. Government employees get a kind of tenure and take quite a bit of work to get rid of.

I've worked for federal and state government for the last 5 years (after starting off in private industry). I can speak to both sides.

On one hand, yes, there is very little accountability in a lot of cases. I could walk into my boss's office right now and call him a dumb SOB and probably not get much more than a talking-to. Blowing the whistle on some sort of abuse of power or questioning the decisions of upper management are more likely to get you in trouble than actually doing something wrong yourself. Getting fired takes a lot.

On the other hand, the pay (and really even the benefits) aren't as great as a many outsiders think, at least not at the state level. I make about 2/3-3/4 of a comparable private industry salary for someone at my experience level. COLAs were non-existent for about 7 years, we're susceptible to furloughs when the powers that be can't get the budget straight, and a lot of people work 2 jobs to keep up. With that kind of environment, most of the workers worth a damn get recruited by consultants, leaving behind the people who either can't do any better, or who really care about what they do but don't ask for any recognition. They are there, but when they're doing their jobs right, the public doesn't notice. As soon as a screw-up happens, the "my tax dollars pay for this?!" hand-wringing starts.

I've worked for federal and state government for the last 5 years (after starting off in private industry). I can speak to both sides.

On one hand, yes, there is very little accountability in a lot of cases. I could walk into my boss's office right now and call him a dumb SOB and probably not get much more than a talking-to. Blowing the whistle on some sort of abuse of power or questioning the decisions of upper management are more likely to get you in trouble than actually doing something wrong yourself. Getting fired takes a lot.

On the other hand, the pay (and really even the benefits) aren't as great as a many outsiders think, at least not at the state level. I make about 2/3-3/4 of a comparable private industry salary for someone at my experience level. COLAs were non-existent for about 7 years, we're susceptible to furloughs when the powers that be can't get the budget straight, and a lot of people work 2 jobs to keep up. With that kind of environment, most of the workers worth a damn get recruited by consultants, leaving behind the people who either can't do any better, or who really care about what they do but don't ask for any recognition. They are there, but when they're doing their jobs right, the public doesn't notice. As soon as a screw-up happens, the "my tax dollars pay for this?!" hand-wringing starts.

I'm lower on the totem pole it seems as I work for municipal government. People love to piss and moan about where their tax dollars go without even knowing what their taxes actually fund.

People love to complain about laziness but nobody thanks me when I've been at work for 18 hours plowing their damn streets so they can get to work in the morning. Or when I have to work rotating 12-hour days after a storm blows through and 200 trees are on the ground.

I've dealt with more than my share of bureaucratic ineptitude. The thousands of dollars it has cost me is not as bad as the frustration of being in a Catch-22 situation (I'll spare the details).

There are plenty of hard working government employees, however. I would not paint with as broad a brush. And not all jobs pay those six figure salaries.

BTW, the reference to Ebonics could be misconstrued. I know that all government employees annoy you, it's just that so many people use it as a code word.
Your interpretation of the word "plenty" and mine in this regard don't appear compatible. "Plenty" to me would mean enough to fill the demand, and the demand IMNSHO should be that 100% of those on the public teat be hard working. You seem to be suggesting that the very presence of any at all make up for the ubiquitous slackers and under-performers. As with their political whore bosses, I feel that our tendency to accept less has only set us up for continually receiving just that, and in ever increasing frequency. The bar continues to be lowered while their pay never takes a hit. During the latest "Great Depression" everyone in America was being told to tighten their belts, spend what little you have (a la Paul Krugman I believe it was, one of the President's favorite "professional economists"... and a fellow big prize winner ta boot), and learn to more with less. All the while the government kept hiring and spending and the closest they ever got to acting responsibly was to temporarily freeze what were already inflated wages. Obviously there are exceptions, and I'm particularly aggrieved by the Ferals, but let's face it, government employees on the whole represent the an entirely separate "special" class, and when I say "class" I mean as in possessing none, and when I say "special", well you get my drift.
Put another way, there was never, nor likely will there ever, be an example given where any government employee will be offered as a model of efficiency or good value for our labor dollars... unless we're talking about killing brown and or yellow skinned people in countries where we have no business being, in which case we are without peer.

As for my referencing the inarticulate Feral as speaking in Ebonics, there was no code, but what would it matter either way? The man was simply and excessively inarticulate, in a manner that was completely consistent with all of the characteristics of that particular vernacular. The idea that we should employ any people who suffer such a terribly difficult time forming the words that make up our language is just one more slight that we have grown accustomed to accepting. To what end and for what purpose I am at a loss to understand or explain, but I do know that it has helped expand the usage of such bastardized speech to a point where it is not by any stretch the sole property of any one ethnic or socio-economic group. Ever listen to an Eminem cut?

I made no specific correlation of trait to any particular ethnicity if that is what you are no doubt alluding too. The man was a borderline dolt. Being one particular skin color or another wouldn't change a thing, he'd have just been a White, or Brown, or Black, or Yellow dolt, "axing" me questions and apparently unable to pronounce the "th" sound. Do you have a less codey way of conveying that information? Sorry but I felt it was relevant. The idea of hiring someone of such a limited communicative skill set to perform a job function where the ability to speak English is rather perfunctory struck me as idiotic. I would say the same applies to English teachers in our public school systems, but that ship has already sailed, and as mentioned elsewhere in these comments. attempting to get rid of any government employee borders on the impossible.

As for my reference to the six figure salaries, in the case of the SBA employee, as well as the AG's office employee, both were supplied by the offending individuals themselves, BUT... roughly seven years ago it was reported that the average Feral employee in the Baltimore-Washington metro area received over $138,000 per year in pay and benefits. That again was the average. I'll grant that since D.C. is the giant tit, there are certainly more bureau heads and department supervisors represented in that number, but given the pathetic quality of service that we receive I would still suggest that that is still way too much. The attraction to government employ used to be security. Okay, I'm fine with that if I have to be (even though it subverts any and all incentive for anyone to actually do a better job), but it also carried with it the understanding that it was not a place that was ever going to compete with the private sector in terms of remuneration. That is obviously no longer true. They are eating their cake, and ours, while having it too.

What annoys me is not simply an idea or an attitude, it is the sad truth of the current state of affairs as I have experienced them. Say what you will, I'm just repeating the facts of what I have seen. The good exceptions have just become entirely too rare to continue trying to paint the whole with a happier colored brush... and no that wasn't code for anything. ;)

Your interpretation of the word "plenty" and mine in this regard don't appear compatible. "Plenty" to me would mean enough to fill the demand, and the demand IMNSHO should be that 100% of those on the public teat be hard working. You seem to be suggesting that the very presence of any at all make up for the ubiquitous slackers and under-performers. As with their political whore bosses, I feel that our tendency to accept less has only set us up for continually receiving just that, and in ever increasing frequency. The bar continues to be lowered while their pay never takes a hit. During the latest "Great Depression" everyone in America was being told to tighten their belts, spend what little you have (a la Paul Krugman I believe it was, one of the President's favorite "professional economists"... and a fellow big prize winner ta boot), and learn to more with less. All the while the government kept hiring and spending and the closest they ever got to acting responsibly was to temporarily freeze what were already inflated wages. Obviously there are exceptions, and I'm particularly aggrieved by the Ferals, but let's face it, government employees on the whole represent the an entirely separate "special" class, and when I say "class" I mean as in possessing none, and when I say "special", well you get my drift.
Put another way, there was never, nor likely will there ever, be an example given where any government employee will be offered as a model of efficiency or good value for our labor dollars... unless we're talking about killing brown and or yellow skinned people in countries where we have no business being, in which case we are without peer.

As for my referencing the inarticulate Feral as speaking in Ebonics, there was no code, but what would it matter either way? The man was simply and excessively inarticulate, in a manner that was completely consistent with all of the characteristics of that particular vernacular. The idea that we should employ any people who suffer such a terribly difficult time forming the words that make up our language is just one more slight that we have grown accustomed to accepting. To what end and for what purpose I am at a loss to understand or explain, but I do know that it has helped expand the usage of such bastardized speech to a point where it is not by any stretch the sole property of any one ethnic or socio-economic group. Ever listen to an Eminem cut?

I made no specific correlation of trait to any particular ethnicity if that is what you are no doubt alluding too. The man was a borderline dolt. Being one particular skin color or another wouldn't change a thing, he'd have just been a White, or Brown, or Black, or Yellow dolt, "axing" me questions and apparently unable to pronounce the "th" sound. Do you have a less codey way of conveying that information? Sorry but I felt it was relevant. The idea of hiring someone of such a limited communicative skill set to perform a job function where the ability to speak English is rather perfunctory struck me as idiotic. I would say the same applies to English teachers in our public school systems, but that ship has already sailed, and as mentioned elsewhere in these comments. attempting to get rid of any government employee borders on the impossible.

As for my reference to the six figure salaries, in the case of the SBA employee, as well as the AG's office employee, both were supplied by the offending individuals themselves, BUT... roughly seven years ago it was reported that the average Feral employee in the Baltimore-Washington metro area received over $138,000 per year in pay and benefits. That again was the average. I'll grant that since D.C. is the giant tit, there are certainly more bureau heads and department supervisors represented in that number, but given the pathetic quality of service that we receive I would still suggest that that is still way too much. The attraction to government employ used to be security. Okay, I'm fine with that if I have to be (even though it subverts any and all incentive for anyone to actually do a better job), but it also carried with it the understanding that it was not a place that was ever going to compete with the private sector in terms of remuneration. That is obviously no longer true. They are eating their cake, and ours, while having it too.

What annoys me is not simply an idea or an attitude, it is the sad truth of the current state of affairs as I have experienced them. Say what you will, I'm just repeating the facts of what I have seen. The good exceptions have just become entirely too rare to continue trying to paint the whole with a happier colored brush... and no that wasn't code for anything. ;)

"Plenty" is a little vague, you are right. Thanks for clarifying your points, I agree with most of them.

One of my past businesses was a Commercial Construction company, and we had a contract to build out new offices for Ryland Homes mortgage division I think it was. Each floor was sub-divided into a giant ring of identical Class 'A' drone cells, and the bank's project manager was emphatic that they must all be exactly the same identical size. As luck would have it two of the corner offices ended up with 3/8 of an inch more space in one dimension... across something like 240+ feet of offices along just one side of the building. We actually had to laminate an additional layer of specially sourced ('cuz nobody was stocking 3/8" thick sheet rock) material to the wall to make the 3/8" disappear. I thought it was all just a seriously sick and retarded joke until the actual occupants showed up, and literally more than a dozen of them immediately went to crawling around the empty spaces with tape measures to make sure that they either got the biggest one, or that nobody elses was bigger. :cross:

Also owned a cabinet and fabricating shop. The surest way in the world to turn my cabinet makers' and metal fabricators' world upside down was to try and move something in "their" shop. Just the mention of a new piece of equipment had everybody streaming in and out of my office for weeks (some wanted it closer, some couldn't get it far enough away from them, etc.) and this was after a team meeting where they all supposedly decided that we needed this gear. They were all great workers that did fantastic work, and I did what I could to accommodate everybody, but it always used to amuse me just how territorial they got anytime somebody threatened "their" space. :)

when you're stuck in a space that's already too small to do the work that you have, you take it very seriously. this guy has more room in his area and there is room in other areas to store the jig. come crunch time, I'm in my work area more than my house. I will spit, growl, and bare my teeth at anyone encroaching on my work space. and I don't mean that figuratively.:rockin:

Hopfool: a person who claims to work harder than anyone yet has the time to type long diatribes on a web forum detailing all of his complaints.

Apples and watermelons my friend. You're attempting to elevate the Feral's overpaid place at the trough, where he literally does nothing, to the level of some of our most underpaid public employees. Guys, and more recently gals, don't become cops and firefighters for the dough. They happen to be two of the most challenging and engaging, interesting and dynamic public sector jobs that there are. Who wouldn't wanna be one of them if they possessed that particular skill set or could afford to live on their salary.

Firemen in particular are crapped on worse than any. Find me one single jurisdiction or department that requires pre-employment lead screening and continued monitoring and I'll kiss... well whatever you want me to kiss. The incidence of lead paint in our buildings all but guarantees that these guys are going to breathing this stuff regularly, and in abundance, when it's at its absolute worst - vaporized by heat and flame.

Their DNA gets screwed, so now their kids and future generations are effected as well. Nothing new here, the States and the Ferals at OSHA and the EPA have understood it for decades. It's just that we're so busy pissing money off to support foreign wars, the military industrial complex, foreign countries (well actually Israel gets more than all of the rest combined, but again I digress), creating these ridiculous government employment jobs programs, and supporting corporate welfare, that we never have enough to properly afford the things that we should be concerned with. Looked at your State roads lately. Pennsylvania's supposedly changing its State Tree to the orange and white striped folding saw horse with flashing light.

My Euro luxury car driving acquaintances from the supreme rulers provide less than nothing by my estimation. Were they both to never show up for work again nobody would ever care or notice.

One of the problems that our government suffers from, at the State and Feral levels especially, is a complete disconnect from what we need, and what we or they want, as well as what our Constitutions were intended to allow and provide for. We were never intended to be a a socialized State.

Congratulations... without a doubt one of the greatest understatements of all time. There is NO accountability, at least to the taxpayers, as required by our Constitution. Would you believe that we're actually supposed to be provided with a balanced and completely accurate, totally transparent, accounting of where every single cent of our money goes, all of the time?

One of my dearest friends recently passed away, but previous to that he had been involved in an audit of the CDC, a Feral Agency dwarfed by the likes of the NSA, HLS, and most others. When asked about their $16,000,000 annual utility bills for just one particular group of buildings that they lease it was disclosed that they actually and honestly had no idea whatsoever how many buildings they even had, be they leased or owned by us.
Nobody fired. Everybody got their COLA, and no doubt bonuses were probably awarded.

A while before that he had worked as an economist for NIOSH, where he admitted that they had so much grant money to give away that that was pretty much all that he was responsible for. Grant money BTW is academia-speak for academic welfare, although both corporations and universities derived tens of millions in benefit from this particular pig. Again... our money, being redistributed by bureaucrats to whatever group their political whore boss is beholden to. They have to do it for us 'cuz we're just like little children... too simple minded to figure out what to do with it ourselves.

Except for the military, and by that I mean a military tasked with performing only those functions for which it was intended... protecting our borders from attack, there is almost nothing that government can be said to do a better job of than the private sector has the potential to perform. Of course in a world run by cronyism we don't get to see too much of that carried out in any kind of significant fashion.

The comparison of contractors to Feral and State employees is also something of a straw man. Thanks to unionization of the Feral, State, and Local employees we have succeeded in inflating both sides of that equation unnecessarily. There's a reason the Navy buys $1,000 wrenches, and it ain't 'cuz they were made for working on nuclear reactors. Billions and billions of dollars are spent by our rulers every year to further American hegemony in ways that most people don't even know of, much less understand, and at each level of each of those transactions there are whole departments and buildings filled with government employees to facilitate that fraud.

What we get in return is pathetic. Unravel all of the graft and waste associated with any of these frauds and we could probably pay private medical providers well enough that everyone would actually receive world class care.

Meanwhile the vidiot box is ablaze every night with emotional panderings and panhandlings to help provide for the young people whose lives have been distorted and destroyed by manipulating their sense of patriotism into some sort of weird excuse to sacrifice themselves for the corporate oligarchy. Does no one understand that the pact that we have with our service men and women is exactly that, and that if they choose to serve, we... our government that we created, will 100%, forever and ever til the end of their lives, have their backs. We employ more useless government employees one way or the other, than even the Soviets managed, and yet we still can't find a way to even keep up with the needs of the kids returning from our most recent war(s), to say nothing of all the rest that have preceded them? It's insulting... and nuts!

Spoken like a man who is happy not to be left to the current vagaries of the open market. This all obviously varies by State, but by and large the larger the entity the worse the abuses of power... and our money. Regardless, State wages and pay rates are a kind of back handed pay off to the unions that help to limit market access, as most legislation is designed to do. The laws are crafted by the special interest groups to keep the door closed to the very people that they all swear they are trying to foster and help. It's all crap, just smoke and mirrors to keep you distracted and looking at the shiny ball whilst they finish picking our pockets.

Funny but predictable that you condescend over the very idea that people might "hand wring" over how their money is spent. :rolleyes:
Ultimately there is absolutely no sane or rational excuse for the huge segment of our population that has gravitated from being producers to becoming Rand's "moochers and looters".

I'm lower on the totem pole it seems as I work for municipal government. People love to piss and moan about where their tax dollars go without even knowing what their taxes actually fund.
Depressingly true as we likely have one of the most incredibly detached, apathetic, and ignorant electorates of any industrialized nation on earth. I suppose it would be heresy to suggest that our government run education camps might shoulder any blame. How could they, when we have all of these wondrous teachers' unions to assure us of only the highest quality instructorship for our yout's? All part and parcel of the same flawed paradigm; the more involved government gets (and especially a larger centralized government) the more fouled up the more expensive result.

I will say however that if ever anyone sees any kind of real value for their tax dollar it is typically more apt to occur at the local level. This is exactly why we should all start to work from that level to effect positive change. Easier said than done of course. I helped get our town Mayor and commissioners replaced, but the job of trying to talk anybody with real moral fiber or integrity into taking the job was incredibly difficult. For some reason the jobs only seem to really appeal to crooks and wanna be crooks with hyper-inflated egos.

People love to complain about laziness but nobody thanks me when I've been at work for 18 hours plowing their damn streets so they can get to work in the morning. Or when I have to work rotating 12-hour days after a storm blows through and 200 trees are on the ground.
Unless you are working for the poorest, most broke azzed municipality in Guatemala, I'm willing to bet your're at least getting time and a half or better if and when you do have to work those 18 hour days. I once worked at a bakery where we worked as many hours as it took, often 12-14 hours a day, and we only got off every other Sunday. The thing was, the more we worked, the more we made, so I stayed there until I had saved up enough to go out and start another business for myself.

That's the wonderful thing about working in America. Because I'm pretty certain all States have adopted the doctrine of "employed at will", you are free as a bird to quit any time that you please. I'm pretty sure that indentured servitude ended in the U.S. sometime back in the 1800's, so if you'd rather not work all of that over time when it's available maybe you should leave the job to someone else who will?

One of my best friends raises grass fed beef cattle. He's in his late 70's and is spry as a goat, which is really good because he still has to climb fences and slog through crap and muddy pastures in the sleet and rain to make sure that his animals are getting fed and moved and watered, every single day. He still manages to fit church into his usual 12 hour Sunday, but that just means that he has to work even later unless I'm available to drop by and give him a hand. His is a lifestyle that I'm sure is as foreign to a government employee as Mars is to me, but there are a lot of people that work in this country, who are not government employees, and who take that kind of load in stride. Haven't met a government employee yet who could or would, but then again, I'm not quite dead yet. :mug:

Oh... and for what it's worth, our tax dollars pay for everything. Your remark about what people know and don't know, well it's double that back at ya for what the average government employee doesn't seem to grasp. Just because half or a quarter of your local budget comes from the State, or some other Feral revenue scam, doesn't change squat about the fact that ultimately we pay for everything. Our reward of course is stuff like getting an overly-militarized police force that's more focused on punishing us and extracting additional revenues from us than they actually are about preventing or solving crimes. I have plenty of friends and family that are cops, and most will honestly admit what they dig about the job (driving fast, "subduing" suspects, et al,) and what they all universally despise (filling out reports... especially the ones that mean the most to us, like theft and accident reports) which is why they suck so bad at it. And don't ever doubt or forget, speed cameras are to public safety like the FDA is to food safety, which is to say neither one has anything at all to do with what they tell you they're for.

Hopfool: a person who claims to work harder than anyone yet has the time to type long diatribes on a web forum detailing all of his complaints.
I assure you... this is far from being all of my complaints.
Just so happens that I'm retarded, er... I meant retired, so I do what I want when I want, and right now it's pretty crappy out, so I'm buying books for Xmas and popping off in here at the same time. Ain't the internet grand? ;)

I assure you... this is far from being all of my complaints.

Just so happens that I'm retarded, er... I meant retired, so I do what I want when I want, and right now it's pretty crappy out, so I'm buying books for Xmas and popping off in here at the same time. Ain't the internet grand? ;)

Congrats on being able to retire comfortably. By all means, continue to yell at the kids to get off your lawn and tell us how kids today are lazy and don't work as hard as you did when you were our age. It's not at all tiresome.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all that but resorting to name calling and putting down people who are just trying to get through the end of their day is just a tad off putting.

"Plenty" is a little vague, you are right. Thanks for clarifying your points, I agree with most of them.
It'd be a pretty boring world, or just a really strange one, if everybody agreed with each other on every point.

Especially with me. :)

Gotta get to the LHBS. :mug:

Congrats on being able to retire comfortably. By all means, continue to yell at the kids to get off your lawn and tell us how kids today are lazy and don't work as hard as you did when you were our age. It's not at all tiresome.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all that but resorting to name calling and putting down people who are just trying to get through the end of their day is just a tad off putting.

Yeah I'm that guy... :D
Well not quite, but I do see myself becoming more and more my father.

Sorry to come off as such a preachy dickhead. :eek:

Probably past time for my meds... "Honey, can you pour me a beer?!" ;)

The most annoying thing... Is when people keep coming in and asking for drawings and you have to constantly remind them:

52dow2.jpg

"Nothing new after 2"

Secondly, where else in the world can you get a job and sit around doing nothing because someone might need you sometime in the future???

my job, working a help desk. I wait for stupid people to do stupid things, then call me begging for help

& I'm not doing "nothing", I'm reading/replying on HBT

my job, working a help desk. I wait for stupid people to do stupid things, then call me begging for help

& I'm not doing "nothing", I'm reading/replying on HBT

I hate it when the help desk assumes I'm stupid and that I somehow caused the problem, and then proceeds to insult me and accuse me instead of actually HELPING.

Not that this applies to you or anything.

we have a few guys that think they're Bill O'Reilly. no matter what's happening in the world they regurgitate everything he says and if you disagree or offer another point of view, they will try to cut you off. more than once I've gotten real loud and death meatal-y with, "I'm not done!". I really hate being cut off. especially by buttholes that refuse to see both side of the story.

we have a few guys that think they're Bill O'Reilly. no matter what's happening in the world they regurgitate everything he says and if you disagree or offer another point of view, they will try to cut you off. more than once I've gotten real loud and death meatal-y with, "I'm not done!". I really hate being cut off. especially by buttholes that refuse to see both side of the story.

Ha! So I am not the only one? I've worked on drilling rigs where I thought I would be lynched. I can respect a reasoned conservative opinion, but mostly it is not reasoned, or conservative, but just a bunch of spewing nonsense.

And I have often heard myself saying that shouting louder does not make your argument more convincing.

Ha! So I am not the only one? I've worked on drilling rigs where I thought I would be lynched. I can respect a reasoned conservative opinion, but mostly it is not reasoned, or conservative, but just a bunch of spewing nonsense.

And I have often heard myself saying that shouting louder does not make your argument more convincing.

my FIL is a "louder=more right" kind of FOX News enthusiast. I just smile politely and nod at him. I don't let the guys at work get away with that.

Those that use the "reply all" when responding to emails with useless information we dont need to know. I can control a lot of them by creating a rule to send them directly to my deleted mail but its still annoying.

I take this attitude towards all people, not just coworkers.

I hate it when the help desk assumes I'm stupid and that I somehow caused the problem, and then proceeds to insult me and accuse me instead of actually HELPING.

Especially when it's a ****ty product you're calling about to start with.

Exactly. I'm an electrical engineer who has been using computers since I was 5 years old. I've also spent a short bit of my career on their side of the phone, so I understand "the script"

If my problem could be solved by "the script", I wouldn't be f*****g calling!

Back