Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We also were taught it so we can all be functioning members of society and do stuff like pay our bills, keep score in a game, tell the time and organise things

Oh, right. But that's generally not the maths that I hear people complain about. Usually it's about trigonometry, or why did I have to memorize the quadratic formula, or boy I wish I'd never wasted my time learning proofs.

People don't seem to realize that learning is itself a skill that is honed over time, and which is essential to one's quality of life.

Oh, right. But that's generally not the maths that I hear people complain about. Usually it's about trigonometry, or why did I have to memorize the quadratic formula, or boy I wish I'd never wasted my time learning proofs.

People don't seem to realize that learning is itself a skill that is honed over time, and which is essential to one's quality of life.

Our schools could do a better job at demonstrating the usefulness of math and other subjects, and making them more interesting. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

Our schools could do a better job at demonstrating the usefulness of math and other subjects, and making them more interesting. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

Just as I brew at home, we also do school at home, for this and several other good reasons.

We're short staffed and the hiring process is slow as hell. Per diem and full time pick up extra hours, then either don't show up, or complain that they did. You can just say no, right?
I pick up extra hours to help out, then have the big boss expect me to stay even later than my kids' after school program goes on the days my fiancee works too.
People won't confront each other, leading to them talking crap behind each other's back. It's NOT high school guys!

Just as I brew at home, we also do school at home, for this and several other good reasons.

hey! I got kicked out of public skool and I terned owt just fine!

About the same time every morning, the outer office stinks of hairspray, $hit, cigarettes & coffee; sometimes with a bit of chemical "air freshener" thrown in...
Makes me wanna puke.
:cross:

About the same time every morning, the outer office stinks of hairspray, $hit, cigarettes & coffee; sometimes with a bit of chemical "air freshener" thrown in...
Makes me wanna puke.

I'm gonna market that as a perfume. I'm gonna call it "Duchess of the Diner Commode". think I could get Liz Taylor for the commercial?

I'm gonna market that as a perfume. I'm gonna call it "Duchess of the Diner Commode". think I could get Liz Taylor for the commercial?

Might be kinda tough, since she's been dead a few years; but that might actually work to your advantage with such a scent. "Zombie office duchess de toilette."
Regards, GF.

I was a history major in college and had a prof who once said "somehow public school teachers take a series of stories loaded with sex, violence, intrigue and drugs and manage to bore students with them. Its almost impressive."

I was a history major in college and had a prof who once said "somehow public school teachers take a series of stories loaded with sex, violence, intrigue and drugs and manage to bore students with them. Its almost impressive."

I was also a history major!!!
SWMBO is a teacher and I can tell you it is not the teachers who bore the kids.
most of the admins and school boards dont allow books to be taught, because they are too long & kids dont have the attention span!

Haha that is so true, pretty hilarious, but kinda sucks all at the same time.

foundational system of mathematics called Set Theory

she's looking for the intersection of two groups

A = Active Status
B = Live in Missouri.

she wants people who are A AND B, she was using a filter that was A OR B

Kiwi schools not teach this stuff?

here's something that might blow your mind: when you count money, you're using ALGEBRA

Reminds me of my boy. He started algebra basics last school year. Was having a hard time with concept. I asked him how much money I started with if I had bought a ten dollar item and had ten dollars in my pocket still. He thought it over a second and said twenty. Then I wrote it out x-10=10 and said okay now solve for x. The ah ha moment warmed my heart. Lol

Reminds me of my boy. He started algebra basics last school year. Was having a hard time with concept. I asked him how much money I started with if I had bought a ten dollar item and had ten dollars in my pocket still. He thought it over a second and said twenty. Then I wrote it out x-10=10 and said okay now solve for x. The ah ha moment warmed my heart. Lol

AAAH! WORD PROBLEMS!

that's awesome.

But if it is the answer to everything, and a math problem is a question, then the answer has to be 42, even when it isnt. Right?

it's the answer to The Ultimate Question.

a math problem is a question, but is it The Ultimate Question?

and not just the answer to The Ultimate Question of Everything, but also the answer to The Ultimate Question of Life AND the Universe

Set Theory strikes again!

don-t-panic-and-never-forget-your-towel-1.png

But if it is the answer to everything, and a math problem is a question, then the answer has to be 42, even when it isnt. Right?

Yes, but the Answer and the Question are mutually exclusive. If they were ever both to be known in the same universe, then the universe would turn into something else entirely. Probably weirder.

Still set theory though (mutually exclusive sets, that is)

But, 42 is only the answer in one dimension. There are an infinite number of realities where 42 is completely incorrect.

But, 42 is only the answer in one dimension. There are an infinite number of realities where 42 is completely incorrect.

i would posit, given an infinite number of realities 42 would be the answer in an infinite number of them, with it being incorrect in an approximately equal number

would also have to consider the possibility it is neither - or perhaps both - in another set of infinite realities

Back to the cow-orkers.

Guy that sits at the cube next to me. Lazy as **** - he's a decent worker in the field, but constantly whines about how his truck got bumped from the heated garage attached to our office, and has to park in the parking lot now. He HATES having to walk to his truck (all of 50 feet), even though once he gets to the jobsite he might have to walk several miles over the course of the day. So instead, if our chief surveyor is going to be in the office for the day, or the guy on the other side of me, he'll drive their trucks instead. Which then screws THEM, if during the middle of the day they get called out to a jobsite and the tools or information they need is in their work truck. He absolutely refuses to go buy supplies either - we're all on the company charge account at the farm/hardware store just down the street for that very reason. If he breaks or loses a hatchet, or shovel, or any other tool out of his truck, he'll "borrow" it out of someone elses truck - but he forgets to either TELL someone he 'borrowed' from their truck, or never puts it back until he's asked. It has gotten to the point that the guy next to me got tired of it, went to the store and bought two new spades, gave one to Tim, and told him "don't ever take mine out of my truck again". Most of us have cables at our desks to hook up our data collectors..he doesn't, so instead of asking the secretary to order one from Amazon, he "borrows" mine, which I never realize until I try to use it and have to go hunt it down.

He's been pulling our side-by-side UTV behind his truck for two weeks now because he needed it on one job, and it's "too much of a pain to unhook"... except I hooked up to that thing every single day this summer - and the new trailer is a heck of a lot easier than the old one. If he wants to pull it around, fine...but it KILLS fuel mileage. On one day this summer, I filled up when I left the office...and had to fill up again to get home.

But the worst is the drinking. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with having a beer or two, or twelve on occasion, but for crap's sake... you're a 28-30 yr old man, working in a professional office setting. Maybe, just MAYBE, you shouldn't tie one on so hard on a Thursday night you come to work smelling like booze on Friday. Or drink so hard on Sunday that you have to call in "sick" on Monday. He damn near got fired the day our head surveyor had it lined up for Tim to meet a client at 9:00 on a Wednesday morning (and the head surveyor was on vacation); Tim drank enough at darts on Tuesday night that he called in sick, but didn't let the boss know. Boss gets a phone call from the client at 9:30 saying "Hey, where is your guy? Haven't seen him yet."

If you can't guess, I'm catching whiffs of booze over the wall here at work right now. Don't believe he's drunk, but pretty sure it's starting to sweat out of him. He's a good guy (aside from his work issues), and I like him...but I wouldn't be real sad to see him get fired right now.

Hairspray. I forgot how noxious it can be until a new person showed up in our office who uses it.

I feel your pain... We have an intern that uses a ton of Axe body spray. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like by the time you're done high school you shouldn't be using this stuff anymore. Or at least learn how to use it in moderation.

The coworker who turns on streaming news/radio/etc then locks their computer and leaves the room for hours on end. Sure I could go over there and attempt to locate the speakers and turn them down, but I shouldnt have to. I may just start powering his/their computer(s) off

You can tell when everyone in my office isn't working, they all gasp at the same time when breaking news hits. Then proceed to talk about it. This morning it was an hour and ten minute debate about the color of that funking dress. Sit your asses down and do something.

You can tell when everyone in my office isn't working, they all gasp at the same time when breaking news hits. Then proceed to talk about it. This morning it was an hour and ten minute debate about the color of that funking dress. Sit your asses down and do something.

subject has probably changed to Spock

One of the highest paid people here showed up at 930am (instead of 8am), talked about that 'trending' dress debacle for an hour, talked about her kids for an hour, went on an extended lunch and left at 230pm. I don't concern myself with others often, but when I have to do work she neglects... it concerns me.

Latest posts

Back