Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the few people that actually came to work, don't work and instead talk about the snow storm all day. We are all aware of it. We can all see and hear the news. We don't need your recap of what is going on outside.

Act like you've been there before.

You're not supposed to work in a snow storm. You just get paid to be there because you braved the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another one for football and fantasy football talk. Every Monday it's the "we did this", "we did that" or "next week we play you" or something to that effect. You didn't play and you're not playing next week, you sit at a desk for a living, you don't play football. Stop talking like you're part of the team. Also, stop talking to each other across the office, there are other people trying to work that don't care about your stats.

yes! we've got guys that do that in our shop. floccing beatings all around.

The people in the office that are complaining about the department christmas party already. Come on. Shut the flocc up already! It's a month away!

The people in the office that are complaining about the department christmas party already. Come on. Shut the flocc up already! It's a month away!

People in my office complaining about not having one. Idgaf if we have one or not, however, I also don't want to hear about for the next 30 days.

You're not supposed to work in a snow storm. You just get paid to be there because you braved the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only thing harder than working all day in an office is not working and trying to look busy.

The only thing harder than working all day in an office is not working and trying to look busy.

Yeah, and being on your phone reading HBT every time someone walks by starts to look suspicious. This piping is not going to model itself, and there's only so many times you can blame it on a slow computer.

Yeah, and being on your phone reading HBT every time someone walks by starts to look suspicious. This piping is not going to model itself, and there's only so many times you can blame it on a slow computer.
The ever-popular "software crash" is a good one, too.

I work with a guy who runs on a set schedule same food, same drinks same everything. He leaves 2 min early EVERY Wednesday to make it to the grocery store.

Everyday at 2 PM you can set your watch by this, he fills a small styrofoam cup w/ coffee & hot chocolate powder all the way to the brim then proceeds to SLURP it way louder than necessary.

If he goes in the mens room & someone is in there he lets out an audible sigh & stomps off.

He looks like Custer only with short hair & is going for that look he loves Custer, and he will stand there & comb his goatee in a small pocket mirror several times a day..

Did I mention he wears white socks with sandals everyday?:smack:

Also he kind of likes beer, but knows nothing about it & several times I have heard him proclaim that ale is more flavorful than beer & he doesn't really care for beer he likes ale:smack:

I work with a guy who runs on a set schedule same food, same drinks same everything. He leaves 2 min early EVERY Wednesday to make it to the grocery store.

Everyday at 2 PM you can set your watch by this, he fills a small styrofoam cup w/ coffee & hot chocolate powder all the way to the brim then proceeds to SLURP it way louder than necessary.

If he goes in the mens room & someone is in there he lets out an audible sigh & stomps off.

He looks like Custer only with short hair & is going for that look he loves Custer, and he will stand there & comb his goatee in a small pocket mirror several times a day..

Did I mention he wears white socks with sandals everyday?:smack:

Also he kind of likes beer, but knows nothing about it & several times I have heard him proclaim that ale is more flavorful than beer & he doesn't really care for beer he likes ale:smack:

If he worked in my office, I'd go out of my way to mess with his schedule. Go to the restroom right before him, ask questions on Wednesday as he's preparing to head to the store, etc.

Then again, I'm kind of an a-hole sometimes.

People making a phone call and feeling the need to use speakerphone... Pick up the phone, we don't need to hear both sides of the conversation.

Need to vent:
The guy that likes to ambush me over why/how our supervisors make the wrong decisions (me and my brother own the company). Yes dude your 2 years working here gave you more experience than all of us.
Now our GM gives me the heads up when this guy might be headed my way so I can shut him down right out of the gate. :rockin:

Need to vent:
The guy that likes to ambush me over why/how our supervisors make the wrong decisions (me and my brother own the company). Yes dude your 2 years working here gave you more experience than all of us.
Now our GM gives me the heads up when this guy might be headed my way so I can shut him down right out of the gate. :rockin:

Have had employees like that...... stfu and get back to work is all you want to say. Or better yet. .... your fired.

Back a few years ago I had a shirt with George Jetsons boss on it the shirt said in bug red letters "Jetson! Your fired!" Employees that worked for my company knew that if I wore the shirt someone wasn't going to have a job at the end of the day.

Yeah so I'm a d!(k! But I own the company and you can't milk my clock anymore!

Have had employees like that...... stfu and get back to work is all you want to say. Or better yet. .... your fired.

Back a few years ago I had a shirt with George Jetsons boss on it the shirt said in bug red letters "Jetson! Your fired!" Employees that worked for my company knew that if I wore the shirt someone wasn't going to have a job at the end of the day.

Yeah so I'm a d!(k! But I own the company and you can't milk my clock anymore!

Where can I sign up? You sound like a real fun guy to work for.

Amen! Sugar and cream would make it English tea right? ;)

My wife (an aspiring diabetic) does something even worse. First she adds water to perfectly brewed coffee, then enough sugar that a heroin addict would find comfort, and finally, a soy juice/artificially flavored chem lab experiment called Carnation Raspberry Chocolate somethingerother. When she's done I don't know what you'd call it, but coffee it ain't. Should probably stirred with a hypodermic needle filled with insulin.

As for co-workers... this is exactly why I spent my working life self employed. Anybody annoyed me, well, our State refers to it as being "employed at will". Means ya get on my nerves I can fire you whenever I feel like it, and I very often felt like it.

Somehow I managed the vagaries of raising five kids, while only being a few minutes late to work maybe once a year, and would go year after year without having to miss a day of work. Today, seems rare that I could find anybody under the age of 50 that could even manage to show up on time five whole days in a row, much less work a full 40 hours.

Of course the whole concept of work also seems to have gone the way of the Dodo. Every time I turn around they're Twatting, or Texting, or have their little beak stuck in a cell phone for some BS reason or other. Rare that you can escape a retail shop these days that you aren't interrupting someone on their play phone when you try to consummate a sale or get some assistance in spending your money. Never ceases to amaze me how detached from the reality of how the bills get paid and where the money comes from that most employees are. Tell 'em to put it away and they actually get all offended.

They start getting ready for a break or lunch ten or fifteen minutes before, and are never ready to actually be working again until ten or fifteen minutes after. Same with getting started in the morning and getting ready to leave at the end of the day. All told, between bathroom breaks where they sit and play on their phones, and wandering around BS'ing with co-workers or looking for stuff to steal, they might actually commit to doing real work for an hour or so a day. And don't even get me started on the smokers. Even today they still act as though their addiction is a perfectly good excuse to just walk away and go smoke whenever they get the urge.

China deserves to rule the world. With fewer and fewer exception, American workers today don't even deserve the name.

The last few years I was working it basically boiled down to this... if ya ain't got grey hair, don't even bother talkin' to me.

Sorry for the rant... just one of the million things that keep me nuts. ;)

Where can I sign up? You sound like a real fun guy to work for.

We had parties, bbq's etc. But when I hire someone to do a job and they want to spend time with fn phone or flapping gums trying to tell the owner how to do the job it's time to gtfo. I never started a business to yap. You want that kinda job there are plenty of telemarketing and waitressing jobs out there. I also always pay above area standards for any business I have owned. I don't own businesses to have "fun" with employees. The sad part is that so many good or great employees are stuck with dirt bag coworkers that don't carry their weight at a business and they don't feel like they are able to talk to the boss honestly about it! Worse yet dirt bag employers that knowingly do nothing about crappy employees.

Amen! Sugar and cream would make it English tea right? ;)

My wife (an aspiring diabetic) does something even worse. First she adds water to perfectly brewed coffee, then enough sugar that a heroin addict would find comfort, and finally, a soy juice/artificially flavored chem lab experiment called Carnation Raspberry Chocolate somethingerother. When she's done I don't know what you'd call it, but coffee it ain't. Should probably stirred with a hypodermic needle filled with insulin.

As for co-workers... this is exactly why I spent my working life self employed. Anybody annoyed me, well, our State refers to it as being "employed at will". Means ya get on my nerves I can fire you whenever I feel like it, and I very often felt like it.

Somehow I managed the vagaries of raising five kids, while only being a few minutes late to work maybe once a year, and would go year after year without having to miss a day of work. Today, seems rare that I could find anybody under the age of 50 that could even manage to show up on time five whole days in a row, much less work a full 40 hours.

Of course the whole concept of work also seems to have gone the way of the Dodo. Every time I turn around they're Twatting, or Texting, or have their little beak stuck in a cell phone for some BS reason or other. Rare that you can escape a retail shop these days that you aren't interrupting someone on their play phone when you try to consummate a sale or get some assistance in spending your money. Never ceases to amaze me how detached from the reality of how the bills get paid and where the money comes from that most employees are. Tell 'em to put it away and they actually get all offended.

They start getting ready for a break or lunch ten or fifteen minutes before, and are never ready to actually be working again until ten or fifteen minutes after. Same with getting started in the morning and getting ready to leave at the end of the day. All told, between bathroom breaks where they sit and play on their phones, and wandering around BS'ing with co-workers or looking for stuff to steal, they might actually commit to doing real work for an hour or so a day. And don't even get me started on the smokers. Even today they still act as though their addiction is a perfectly good excuse to just walk away and go smoke whenever they get the urge.

China deserves to rule the world. With fewer and fewer exception, American workers today don't even deserve the name.

The last few years I was working it basically boiled down to this... if ya ain't got grey hair, don't even bother talkin' to me.

Sorry for the rant... just one of the million things that keep me nuts. ;)

Don't be sorry, employees just don't know what it takes and that time they spend screwing off is theft. You didn't go to their house and ask them to come to your place of business and f'ck off so you could pay them. They came to you and promised to do a job for you the way you wanted. If they wanted to negotiate breaks and gum flapping time it should have been before the first time they punched the clock. Ps. Love the right to work thing also.

Just about every person I've ever worked with had flaws to one degree or another. Most are either inconsequential or are correctible with a little effort by a decent manager. In my experience really problem employees are few and far between; most are easy to screen out in the application & interview process. In my opinion hiring just anybody and firing anyone the first time they give you half an excuse is bad business.

Just about every person I've ever worked with had flaws to one degree or another. Most are either inconsequential or are correctible with a little effort by a decent manager. In my experience really problem employees are few and far between; most are easy to screen out in the application & interview process. In my opinion hiring just anybody and firing anyone the first time they give you half an excuse is bad business.

So is taking business advice from a brewing website. :)

You are right about the few and far between. ... however the last business I sold was a young man's game for the most part (old (experienced) guys had their places picked) which meant that more of the guys had phones that they wanted to be on.... after promoting one guy and hiring another to replace him in our second shop, production for those bays dropped by 20% or so. After talking to him several times finally had to sneak in our own building to find out that the guy was busy on the damn phone all the time while trying to turn wrenches. I always give guys a chance to correct issues. But if I can take a shop that making a profit of 57k a year and have profits 300k in 6 months I must be doing something right. That means that you only getso many chances and I don't have to keep dead weight. ;);)

Not exactly in keeping with the OP, but still worthy of discussion IMNSHO...

just about every person i've ever worked with had flaws to one degree or another. most are either inconsequential or are correctible with a little effort by a decent manager.
curious as to the sample size and time period of your anecdotal account, but you unintentionally hit the proverbial nail squarely. First, and most obviously, we all recognize that no one is perfect. Secondly, i would assume that adequate training was either provided by the employer, or was a considered part of the employee's credentials that got them hired in the first place. The "nail" is the idea that a "decent" manager has to be provided by the employer to correct behaviors. Believe it or not, business owners don't hire and pay managers to correct behaviors that shouldn't be present in the first place, and that is the "crux of the biscuit". I have worked all over the world, and i can state categorically that when it comes to work ethic, the average american sucks. Capital will always chase cheap labor (as the sell out political whores that signed these ridiculous trade agreements full well knew), but there's also a lot to be said for the quality, trainability, and education of that cheap labor once found. Each region has it's own strengths and weaknesses, but all of this seems to escape the average whinging american worker. They voted for these asses that sold them out, and now they don't want to have to compete directly with the cheap labor, whose access they have enabled. That said, in a market where american workers should already be coming to their respective jobs fully aware of what they are competing against, these issues of lacking work ethic are still ubiquitous, as is the american workers' almost universal ignorance of the macro-economic picture. No real surprise in a country where the average citizen can't name the oceans that border our shores or the name of their vice president, but i digress.

in my experience really problem employees are few and far between;
everything being relative, i would suggest you are seriously understating what is necessary to compete today, and that is a constant, daily, pursuit of excellence, not "good enough", mediocrity, which is what we more typically encounter.

most are easy to screen out in the application & interview process.
yeah... Good luck with that. Other than a drug test (isn't it ironic that congress and welfare recipients aren't required to persevere through such intrusiveness) there really isn't a whole lot of information that's available to employers any longer... At least not legally during an interview. Take a look at the real restrictions that our omnipresent rulers have imposed, you might be surprised.

Oh yeah, the other thing is that people lie. Especially when they're looking for a job. The most obvious examples are easy enough to see. Look at the number of politicians that have been outed of late, for everything from having lied about their educational accomplishments to plagiarizing masters and doctoral thesis. Not much of that comes out in an interview. The privacy issues have become so ridiculous that it's not even legal for me to contact your last employer and ask how many times you were late, or how many days you missed in the last year. That's before we even get to questions about outright competency or more subjective analysis.

in my opinion hiring just anybody and firing anyone the first time they give you half an excuse is bad business.
not a very accurate representation of the normal firing scenario. More often than not the employee has lied about their abilities and underperformed, which is in itself bad for business. Then there's the issue of how this effects the other workers that are performing. Successful businesses operate as an effective team, and that means everyone carries their own weight. This is the antithesis of how unions function, which is essentially the direct emulation of the communist manifesto; everyone working to the level of the least capable. That's real good for business, huh?

so is taking business advice from a brewing website. :)
... And another amen!

you are right about the few and far between.
again, very relative. Physical labor and vocational trade centric businesses present very different challenges from more empirically technical businesses and so-called professional types. Folks that work more with their ass than their brains so to speak.

... However the last business i sold was a young man's game for the most part (old (experienced) guys had their places picked) which meant that more of the guys had phones that they wanted to be on.... After promoting one guy and hiring another to replace him in our second shop, production for those bays dropped by 20% or so. After talking to him several times finally had to sneak in our own building to find out that the guy was busy on the damn phone all the time while trying to turn wrenches. I always give guys a chance to correct issues. But if i can take a shop that making a profit of 57k a year and have profits 300k in 6 months i must be doing something right. That means that you only getso many chances and i don't have to keep dead weight. ;);)
amazing isn't it... That our species somehow managed to survive through the centuries without being connected 24/7, and completely out of touch while at work. Not legal, but the best investment any shop can make is to install a cellular phone jamming device. Even for just a day, witnessing the impact is quite astounding.

premium grade a anus hole right there, world's full of them though, sad.
were you referring to creamy or the object of his derision?

we had parties, bbq's etc.
we used to do this sort of thing as well, but when i talked it over with the team they all agreed that they'd rather have the money and time to spend as they saw fit, rather than having their employer do it for them. As a libertarian i couldn't have agreed more, so that's what we did. Merit pay, performance bonuses, empowerment in the processes, all ideas that involved our workers in a way that gave them a stake in the business, and it worked fantastically. The best part was that their tolerance for under-performing slackers was nearly nil since it also had the effect of letting them experience what it felt like to have a slug put their hand in their pockets.

but when i hire someone to do a job and they want to spend time with fn phone or flapping gums trying to tell the owner how to do the job it's time to gtfo. I never started a business to yap. You want that kinda job there are plenty of telemarketing and waitressing jobs out there. I also always pay above area standards for any business i have owned. I don't own businesses to have "fun" with employees. The sad part is that so many good or great employees are stuck with dirt bag coworkers that don't carry their weight at a business and they don't feel like they are able to talk to the boss honestly about it! Worse yet dirt bag employers that knowingly do nothing about crappy employees.
pretty much exactly what i was speaking to.

don't be sorry, employees just don't know what it takes and that time they spend screwing off is theft. You didn't go to their house and ask them to come to your place of business and f'ck off so you could pay them. They came to you and promised to do a job for you the way you wanted. If they wanted to negotiate breaks and gum flapping time it should have been before the first time they punched the clock. Ps. Love the right to work thing also.
Only expressed regret over having gone on so in a kind of off topic fashion. I'm not at all sorry for the intended sentiments. ;)

My ultimate solution for those that didn't want to contribute to my particular business model was to encourage them to start their own and show all of us developmentally disabled, 100 hour a week, risk takers, how it's done... So by firing them i was in part responsible for giving them the opportunity to show the world just how brilliant they really were.
Made and lost several fortunes before i retired at 50, and i'm still waiting to witness their stellar rise, but i guess it's probably some other stupid, poopie head's fault that they haven't succeeded as yet. ;)

Funny thing about this topic now that it has been started are those that are in agreement with me about me being a d!ck are in my experience (21 years of self employment ) fall into one of 2 catagories, 1- they are the ones stealing from the boss, time, equipment, ect. Or 2 - they have never been promoted to a position that would allow other employees have an effect on their pay especially where the difference in pay can be thousands in a pay period.

You know absolutely nothing about people like headbanger and I, but with less than a page a page of text that you yourself volunteered, we basically know all we need to know.

Enjoy your life, or die in a fire, it doesnt really matter to me. You are squelched going forward.

Funny thing about this topic now that it has been started are those that are in agreement with me about me being a d!ck are in my experience (21 years of self employment ) fall into one of 2 catagories, 1- they are the ones stealing from the boss, time, equipment, ect. Or 2 - they have never been promoted to a position that would allow other employees have an effect on their pay especially where the difference in pay can be thousands in a pay period.

I'm gonna disagree with you on the falling into one and/or 2 categories. you treat your employees like machines, they will start to do what they can to feel like they are getting one over on "the man". one of my favorite quotes about leadership (not just a manager, supervisor, or boss) is, "No one will care how much you know until they know how much you care". if you plan on treating the employees like broken money sucking equipment, you'll have to accept the fact that you will be the common enemy. I'm not saying that there aren't any bad apples in the barrel. I know that there are. but treating all the apples like they're bad will eventually spoil your crop. by instantly categorizing people that you don't know by a few comments on the interwebs publicly shows how you might treat employees. here's the real question: do you feel that you are better than the employees?

I'm gonna disagree with you on the falling into one and/or 2 categories. you treat your employees like machines, they will start to do what they can to feel like they are getting one over on "the man". one of my favorite quotes about leadership (not just a manager, supervisor, or boss) is, "No one will care how much you know until they know how much you care". if you plan on treating the employees like broken money sucking equipment, you'll have to accept the fact that you will be the common enemy. I'm not saying that there aren't any bad apples in the barrel. I know that there are. but treating all the apples like they're bad will eventually spoil your crop. by instantly categorizing people that you don't know by a few comments on the interwebs publicly shows how you might treat employees. here's the real question: do you feel that you are better than the employees?

See that's the thing I don't feel one way or another. I also don't feel one way or another about their personal lives, etc. They have friends and family for that stuff. I hire people for one and one thing only and I know the ins and outs of keeping people who are worth the price happy with the money they make and the job they do. I also paid employees to take advanced training and paid for the training. I also worked just as hard as any employee and was in the. shop more than any of them. I started my day at the shop at 7 2 hours before any of them and ended my day between 6 and 9 hours after the 5 o'clock quitting time. The great guy got promotion, the good guys kept their jobs the rif -Raf got the road. My wife has often called me heartless I tell her that I am a realist and that once you realize the no one really cares about you or your life or family and friends life becomes less complicated. My wife never believed me then after working in managment for a large drug company for 13 years she was injured by some falling shelves and subsequently fired several days after she was released from the dr.
You can say that I don't know what I am doing but as a member of management teams for going on 30 years would guess that I know what I am doing.

While I do recognize the types, I would have to say that there are obviously lots of other categories of employees. People are a bit more complicated than that. My greatest disappointment was in seeing that there are so many who will continue to work someplace where they can't find a way to motivate themselves to do any better than just enough. I don't really know how to speak to that type of life, but it's really pretty depressing... and unnecessary. Kinda like drinking crappy beer really. We have so few days on this earth, it seems a shame to waste it in a passionless existence, fighting with each other, eating bad food, or drinking crappy beer.

Of course I also don't understand why people blindly support American hegemony, industrialized GMO foods, and the disinsentivization of our workforce through fascist socialist policies, but that's also why I retired out in the middle of nowhere and try not to follow the news. It's not likely that I'll be made King any time soon, so what I think doesn't really mean squat. I'm just happy to be done with it. The government convinced me a good while back that the last thing that I ever wanted to do again is to risk my capital to start a business and create jobs. Like the idiot before this idiot said... "mission accomplished".

You know absolutely nothing about people like headbanger and I, but with less than a page a page of text that you yourself volunteered, we basically know all we need to know.

Enjoy your life, or die in a fire, it doesnt really matter to me. You are squelched going forward.

Can't speak to headbanger or ubnserved, but your recent interview with Austin tells me that you and I might have more in common than not.

My son was named after the Colonel of the 20th Maine (because of Fredericksburg, not Gettysburg). My father's family had farms all around Boonesboro and Sharpsburg and buried members in the cemetery by Dunker Church back before the War for Independence. Matter of fact my great uncle preached the last sermon given there.

After sharing a copy of Confederate's in the Attic with my brother, we decided to sneak out and sleep in "The Bloody Lane" one night, as well as bivouacking under the stars illegally on several other battlefields visited by the ANV and the AP.

I suppose after eating hard tack, fetid pork fat, and green corn, okra beer doesn't sound all that intimidating. ;)

One of the great pleasures of my life was getting the chance to meet and speak with Shelby Foote before his passing. :cool:

... and BTW, your drinking horn is sweet, but you really should wear an animal skin and spangenhelm whilst drinking from it. :mug:

Had the pleasure and opportunity to work with and learn from many extremely successful people, and while I do empathize with the experiences that helped form ubnserverved's cynicism, there are several significant commonalities that successful leaders share. The most important is that of being able to infect their employees with a shared or common vision. That's pretty much where it starts, and even if you're not a student of psychology, most folks are familiar enough with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to realize that people invest in their jobs and apply themselves for more than just a pay check. Just leading by example is often nowhere near enough. Like I said however, if you are effective in motivating the majority, and you develop that "shared vision" bond, you can ill afford to tolerate someone coming in who doesn't get it, or doesn't want to buy in, for very long. Other than the simple fact that they aren't going to be as productive as they could or should, their presence will often prove corrosive to the rest of the team (getting back to Billy-Klubb's apple analogy).

On yet another tangent, regarding workplace injuries and the Workers Compensation system scam... it is nothing more than a guaranteed way of providing employers a way to limit their liability when their attempts to make money result in messing somebody's life up. It essentially works a lot like environmental law in that it is a total sham that ultimately transfers the true liability of the responsible business onto all of us. Of course there are several major businesses that benefit more from this system than others, and they are generally the ones who made enough money to be able to afford to buy whatever whorish politicians and legislators were necessary to get the laws passed that they wanted. It is the very essence of what has passed for capitalism in America for the last hundred plus years. The whole W/C scam has absolutely nothing to do with any continuum of care or the making of any injured worker whole either physically of financially.

So you think it was acceptable that your wife was fired over a workplace injury?

Acceptable or not she was injured because someone half assed the job they were hired to do. Being fired is part of life and it sucks and sometimes it is not fair but it happens. Employers should have control over who they keep and who they don't. Her being terminated allowed her to move on to other experiences that she would not have had other wise. The real question is do I think that she was entitled for whatever reason and the answer is no we probably could have sued for her to keep the job but I see 2 problems with that. One - why would you want to keep a job where they don't want you anymore. Two - what make her so special that the company is forced to employ someone they no longer wish keep. The severance package was pretty good and that helped with the sting also.

Yeah he sounds like a real dbag. I wouldn't want to work for him.

Intimidation is a supervisory style that can work very well---at least up to a point and depending on the type of work being done. It's popular because it takes the least amount of skill. All you need is a lack of empathy and a willingness to be ruthless.

Being a leader that motivates people to be part of something greater (a team) is not that easy, and takes a certain amount of talent.

I'm just quoting this so I can click the "like" button again.

Edit: I guess you can't like your own posts. It looks like it's time to make a second account so I can like it again.

Back