Thin Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brew17

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am doing my first batch...AHS Blueberry Chocolate Stout (Extract and Specialty Grains).

Recently I helped my friend with an Amber (Extract with Grains). Tasting the leftover beer from bottling, the beer tasted like beer, but seemed thin. Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe or the ingredient list or the gravities. Despite this lack of information, is there any way to figure out what could have led to this? Also, could some of this "body" be attained while the beer is conditioning in the bottles?

Thanks! Looking forward to getting Batch #1 under my belt!

I would withhold judgment until it's carbonated and cooled and served in a nice glass. It can be hard to fully predict the final outcome from what was left in the bottling bucket.

However, wild yeast infecting the wort can make things watery and thin. The wild yeast will eat the long chain sugars that beer yeast will not. Those long chain residual sugars are what gives beer body.

I would withhold judgment until it's carbonated and cooled and served in a nice glass. It can be hard to fully predict the final outcome from what was left in the bottling bucket.

However, wild yeast infecting the wort can make things watery and thin. The wild yeast will eat the long chain sugars that beer yeast will not. Those long chain residual sugars are what gives beer body.

The first part is what I am hoping for and not the second part. I will be starting with brand new equipment so I hope to not have that problem right off the bat.

My beer always tastes thin out of the secondary. Carbonation lends an intangible characteristic besides "bubbles". Your beer out of the fermenter is going to taste as much like the finished product as a raw egg is going to taste like an omelet.

My beer always tastes thin out of the secondary. Carbonation lends an intangible characteristic besides "bubbles". Your beer out of the fermenter is going to taste as much like the finished product as a raw egg is going to taste like an omelet.

Excellent, I like hearing this!

Well what temperature did you mash at? The lower end 148ish will make a thiner beer where a mash of 156 will make a relatively thicker beer. For my Hefeweizens, I tend to like them thicker, so I will mash at this range.

Also wait till it is bottled/chilled and then taste it to judge whether or not its thin or not.

Did that kit come with maltodextrin? I only mention this because several of AHS kits I've done have it and it will make for a nice mouth feel. BierMuncher already mentioned the main thing, uncarbonated beer tastes thin but if the kit has maltodextrin you really don't have to worry about thinness.

Did that kit come with maltodextrin? I only mention this because several of AHS kits I've done have it and it will make for a nice mouth feel. BierMuncher already mentioned the main thing, uncarbonated beer tastes thin but if the kit has maltodextrin you really don't have to worry about thinness.

Sorry...might be some confusion. I haven't done AHS Stout yet. The "thin" beer was an Amber that I helped with...

Latest posts

Back