Thick White Crud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phishman068

Reaction score
I have an IPA that's sat in a secondary fermenter out of sunlight and in a stable environment with a properly maintained air lock for about 6 months now.
I've checked on it at least every week and had no issue until now. Suddenly, I find there is a somewhat solidified white mass, almost like Salt floating on the surface of the brew. The beer has also darkened a bit.
Should I be worried? Has this beer somehow spoiled?

Why have you waited so long to bottle? I don't let anything set in primnary (don't secondary) for more than 4 weeks? I'd sample and bottle it if it tastes ok...

I'm going to keg it but figured it could sit in a glass jug just as well as it could sit in a keg... but wouldn't be taking up a keg for 6 months.
Was this logic wrong?

IPA's shouldn't sit so long in a secondary. It should've been in a keg with,I think,5psi. The co2 would keep it in better condition.

Well... wrong? no. I do not believe in wrong.

Hop presence will change over time. It is more fun to taste it in a keg. A keg is also a more stable environment, as you force out the oxygen with CO2.

That being said, white crud is not usually present on anything I leave sit that long. But I rarely leave anything sit that long. I do not do much high gravity. Were you aging it for the high alcohol?

That being said, I would still try it. It may have another organic presence contributing to the flavor.
:mug:

I'm a bit confused. (normal state of mind actually) but why let an IPA ferment so long? IPA's are generally, as far as I know fairly quick brews. A month or six weeks in the primary and then off to bottling/kegging. The hoppiness leaves the beer fast.

Time for you to take a taste and if it taste decent bottle or keg it. Just my $0.02

Well, 'thick' isn't normally how I would describe wild Brett (Brettanomyces) yeast, but if it's a white skin or membrane forming on top and it's as white as salt that could be it. Racking it and drinking it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, many breweries are taking their stronger beers and releasing 'Wild,' 'Belgian,' etc., versions that include Brett..

Just be sure that you do a good job of cleaning and sanitizing anything that comes in contact with it. Brett. can give everything from pleasant strangeness to prominent Horse Hair aroma. Either way, maybe you will like it.

Back