thick layer of stuff at the bottom of my brew?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbloomers

Reaction score
HI, this is my second brew (a coopers pilsner kit) and there is a thick layer of stuff at the bottom of my brew. Its a sort of white colour,maybe its the sugar? Should I stir it?
Everything else seems fine its at the right temperature and smells like it should! its also been going for just under 2 weeks and so should pretty much be ready to bottle I think.
thanks for any advice

It is yeast...leave it be. Assuming you boiled all your fermentables, any sugar is in solution so the stuff falling to the bottom is yeast and hop debris with a little but of maybe a tiny bit of break material. All normal.

since we don't have a pic to go off of, it sounds perfectly normal. That is trub (pronounced troob). That's your yeast doing its thing. I wouldn't recommend stirring it as you want as much as possible to settle out before bottle/keg.

Well, trub & cold break generally settle out first. Then the yeast. Yeast is a light tan color, kinda like the color of devonshire cream. Cold break is crumbly to wet popcorn looking & white. Trub is brown. Sounds fine...

It's doing exactly what it should do, building up a nice packed pasty partition of post fermentation trub.

Don't stir it up, you want that settle out. Ideally, at the end of fermentation, most of that material will have fallen out of suspension. Many people "cold crash" before bottling so that it forces this yeast/trub to settle and become compact on the bottom. This way you can rack to a bottling bucket without sucking up all that material.

Congratulations, you sir (or ma'am) have made beer. It is perfectly normal for sediment to fall to the bottom of your brew. Trub first then yeast.
For example. Not my beer or picture but it can look like this.

carboyPale.png

RDWHAHB and all that.

Back