ThermoWorks submersible probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
ThermoWorks will have a submersible probe, Needle Probe, available 10/31. Ad says ideal for Sous Vide. Might also be great for BIAB and mash tuns.

It works excellently. I've brewed probably 6 batches with it. It's accurate and I love that I can set an alarm for a certain temp and go do something else. I use the alarm while the mash/strike water heat up then I leave it in the mash to make sure I don't lose too much heat (which I'll probably stop bothering with since I only lose ~1.5 degrees during a 60 minute mash). I also the other probe for smoking meat and roasting things, so it's definitely worth the price.

Yes, but only with the immersible probe! That one is specifically designed to be water resistant (at least) so it can be entirely submerged without damaging. The others will allow liquid to damage the wiring where the probe meets the cable, so you want to avoid getting that part wet.

ThermoWorks also has 12" probes which, while they are not waterproof, are long enough that you can still measure fairly deep in your grain bed.

This probe is not suitable for acidic environments and will quit working. I have used the needle probe in my mash tun and it quit working on the 3rd use. Thermoworks is aware of the problem and it is waterproof but the wort reacts with it and make it stop reading correctly.

That's unfortunate. I have only used mine 2 or 3 times, so I must not have hit that limit yet. Was it the tip of the probe that failed, or something related to the covering? I am hoping I can at least continue to use the longer probe without issue (making sure that only the tip is submerged).

Another reason/excuse to start using those with the grill instead, I guess.

I have a basic thermoworks probe. Two of them actually. I can put just the probe in but not past the spot where the probe meets the cable. They work if I just put the end of the probe in a bit.

I've tried several ways to cover the probe/cable joint. All eventually leak and then make it harder to clean. I can get the working again if I put the in an oven for a bit.

What I want is a fully submersible probe that I can shove down into the center of the mash. I'm BIAB so I can't install a thermowell bc it'd rip the bag.

Long stem ThermoWorks are on sale . . . . .

:D

BIAB_02.jpg

Back