Thermowell for temp controller probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellesyeah

Reaction score
Greetings all. I bought a stopper with a drilled hole for the airlock and also has a 15" long thermowell for my Inkbird probe. Being the thermowell is a hollow metal shaft, should I put some sort of medium down in it to aid in temperature conduction? An empty air pocket surrounding the probe may be akin to sampling ambient chamber temps.

If a fluid is recommended for conduction, what would be best? Water will evaporate I suspect. What about some gel of some sort? What do others use...or am I overthinking this??

I have a lager chugging right now and my probe is in there doing what its meant to do....Relax, Don't Worry Have a Homebrew. It works I've done it a few times no issues or needing to put liquid...or anything in there.

You are overthinking it. I put water in there but it's probably not necessary. It takes a long time to evaporate. There is some sort of thermal conductive fluid you can put in there but then it might be a pain to clean out. As long as the end of the thermowell is well under the fluid level and you have the probe all the way to the bottom, you are fine.

Latest posts

Back