Thermostat wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopShepard

Reaction score
I got the Ritetemp 6020 thermostat from Home Depot to wire into my Mother of a Fermentation Chamber build. Problem is I can't get my fan to work in cool mode.

I've been able to set it up and have the fan(computer power supply fan) run when the fan switch is in the on position, and have the fan run all the time no matter the switch position. I can't get it to turn on in the cool position though with my set temp set well below room temp.

I'm using a 5v cell adapter for power, and had it working with another thermostat, but wanted to use the 6020 because it's easy to take out the temp. probe and make it longer so it can become a remote temp probe.

Anyways, I've tried a bunch of combos, mainly the adapter + >> G, fan + to RC, and adapter - >> fan -. There are 7 jumpers on the top, and I think I have them in the right config, but could be wrong.

Any ideas(other than use a different thermostat)?

this is the original plans for modifying for the Fermentation Chamber:
Wort-O-Matic: Remote Sensing DIY Controller for Less Than $25

and this is a write up of doing it with the 6020 :

temp controller - Realbeer.com Beer Community

I tried to join real beer to ask the guy who wrote that up the question, but it won't let me post.

And here are the directions from the manf. I read through them, have very little experience with wiring, and couldn't figure it out. The wiring guides are towards the bottom, and the jumper description is at the very end.

http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/images/6020_installation_guide.pdf

I can't seem to be able to get a minute to really think about this right now. (Damn work getting in the way of fun again) But the guy on Realbeer is using a different controller.
The G terminal is for the fan, which is why you are getting the results you are seeing. Try using the "RH" for your +Vcc and "Y" for the fan + and see if your fan is then controlled by the thermo setting. Leave all jumpers open.
Let me know and I will look into it further if that doesn't work.

Still no luck. This is the second temprite 6020 I haven't had luck with, so I don't think I have a faulty unit.

Logically I don't understand why it's not working. If you have any more ideas I'll put them to the test. Otherwise, I'm about to just go get a different model.

Thanks for the help

Try swapping the Y for Y1. Make sure the controller is in "Cool mode" and crank the setpoint up past your room temp.
You might also try adding a jumper to position 3 and possibly 6 or 7.
I will look at it again if I can get my 2 year old to sleep before I crash myself.

Back