Thermostat for brew closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully you people aren't sick of the 1 million threads a day that I start here. I really do try searching threads/the internet first. Anyhow, does anyone know of a device that will check the current temperature in a room, and if it goes above or below a certain temp it will provide power to a device like a window AC unit? I want to make a homemade "closet" with a small window AC unit that will turn on and blow into it if the temperature gets too warm...

Oh... and I know this is probably is the wrong area of this for but I posted it where it will get the most action :p

Thanks!

1) A digital A/C with a thermostat will do what you're talking about.
2) If you need another device, you might try some of the refrigerator thermostats that are out there. Some are digital, some analog.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/johnson-refrigerator-thermostat.html
You literally just plug your a/c (or fridge) into this thermostat, and the thermostat either allows power to the unit, or doesn't, based on the temp reading.

Is there a way to just use a normal thermostat used in a house for something like this? I'm thinking of making 2 chambers on either side, one with a heating source and one with a cooling source. Hrm...

I'm trying to solve the same(ish) issue--heating up a space to a certain temperature. I've settled on a space heater rigged to a thermostat; be careful when you're looking at electronic supplies, the voltages handled by a thermostat vary. I went to a local heating/cooling supply shop, and they helped show me what to get, how to expose the guts, and then solder it into an extension cord line.

Most dual-controllers can work with a heater OR cooling, but not both at the same time. I have a Ranco and use it to control the fermentation fridge or a heater in the fridge, but I have to select one or the other. Even with my house's heat pump, I can have heat or A/C, but not both.

Some people stick a small light bulb in the fermentation fridge for heat and use the controller to limit the upside.

David, this is true. Infact, the one I linked to in my previous post cannot just be switched from one to the other without disassembly and reassembly.

I take every hobby to the extreme. You would think being new at this I wouldn't care about a fermenting closet... but whatever. Anyway, I'm going to use an AC unit on 1 side of the closet that has a built in digital thermometer and use one of these Ranco devices for a small ceramic space heater on the other side. How hard is it to convert one of the Ranco thermostats to work with heat? Thanks!

With a Ranco ETC-111000-000, you just press a few buttons to switch from C to H. Of course, I also have to unplug the fridge and plug in the heater.

If you're into electronics, know how to solder, understand that AC can kill you, and want to make something, you can make your own out of a normal thermostat, a resistor, an extension cord, some wire, and a relay (SSR or otherwise)

DIY Temp Controller Build

With a Ranco ETC-211000-000, you can control heating and cooling at the same time. They are a bit expensive, but you can occasionally find some good deals on eBay.

Back