Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Bought a floating thermometer last month, and without knowing which of the 4 it was I found one was way off. I tossed that one and ordered 2 more as I want 4 plus a backup.

However I decided to check the 2 new ones against my others, and I get dissimilar numbers. My original 3 are within about 2* of each other, and my new ones are both registering the same slightly higher temp.

And so now I'm at a loss for what is accurate. How does one KNOW with non adjustable thermometers? At best I see a cup of water left out hoping the thermostat on the A/C is correct and going by that.

I did boil a cup of water and placed them in that together for a collective reading to see what the difference at temp was (roughly 160-170*) when I checked. They were roughly the same amount off as at room temp, though they didn't read what the thermostat is set at (73* vs the mid to upper 60's they all read).

I do have a sling psychrometer that I'd assume I could trust for ambient temp... But how would I know other than to trust it was more than the $6 I paid for the floating thermometers?

It's all I have and I certainly can't drop the coins on 4 great thermometers assuming they won't break to need a 5th for backup...

Ice water is always 32 degrees F or 0 C. That is how you determine accuracy. I used it to tweak my adjustable thermometer yesterday.

I added that thermometer to my wish list. Thanks!

I'll be checking all of my thermometers in ice water. Thanks!

I bought one of the thermometers linked above. Have only brewed once with it but it seemed to work pretty well. It feels very well made, not cheap or flimsy.

I have one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Therma-5-..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item43d2813c30

worth every penny. Cheap thermometers are actually a complete waste of money, not only they not last they are inaccurate during their sort miserable life times.

Don't get a domestic thermometer, they are over priced. Get a commercial or scientific one like that one I liked. It come with calibration certification and is basically the same as ETi's £90models.

I do have a sling psychrometer that I'd assume I could trust for ambient temp
Now this is a man who has some equipment! Used my sling psychrometer for a long time... until the wet bulb somehow got loose, shot across the yard, and shattered.

I know everyone recommends thermapens, but it's difficult shelling out $90 for one. At the moment, I use 4 different thermometers to get a best feel average. Not the best option, but what I happen to have at the moment.

Now this is a man who has some equipment! Used my sling psychrometer for a long time... until the wet bulb somehow got loose, shot across the yard, and shattered.

I know everyone recommends thermapens, but it's difficult shelling out $90 for one. At the moment, I use 4 different thermometers to get a best feel average. Not the best option, but what I happen to have at the moment.

I got a $12 Top Fin digital fish tank thermometer and it goes up to 200 degrees, the specs on Amazon say 122 the box says 200 and I have used it up to 160 degrees. I have it for my fermenter but works well for checking water temp when steeping.

There's just no way I'm spending $90 on a thermometer.

I need to recheck my thermometers against ice water, but I'd certainly need to understand how any differences at that temp work out at mashing temps. If it's one or two degrees off at 32* will it be just that much at 153* too?

Latest posts

Back