thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jar

Reaction score
What do people generally use for monitoring the temperature of wort while steeping and cooling? I used a digital probe thermometer, but I seem to have killed it. It now reads 70F sitting in a glass of ice water. From reading online, it seems that these don't like having their probes fully immersed in water. I really liked the convenience of having a digital temp readout and alarms, but I can't buy a new one for each batch. (It worked for the whole batch, and I noticed the errors the next day.)

I used to use a candy thermometer which clipped to the side of the pot. That broke, but it was great. Now I use a floating thermometer which I got at my LHBS. I liked the candy one better as the floating one is kind of in my way when I am working.

I also use a digital probe thermometer that I got from a local cooking supply store. I found out the hard way that the probes cannot be totally submersed. You cannot get the probe wet where it meets the braided cord (if that is the type you have) or the cord itself.

Now time for the good news. If your temp probe is the type that can be used in the oven, just take the probe and put in the oven at 350˚F for 1/2 hour and it will dry it out and it should read right again. I tried it with mine and it worked.

John

Excellent, thanks. I'll try to revive my probe. Do you loop the cord around the pot handle to keep the vulnerable junction out of the liquid? How well does that work?

My probe thermometer got wet and gave bad readings, but after the probe dried out it was fine. What I do is clip a binder clip to the edge of my brewpot. I then position the probe through the - I don't know what to call them, the round metal things that you push on - so that the tip is submersed a couple of inches into the wort but the rest of it stays high and dry. Have had no problems with this (just make sure you keep the thermometer out of the way when you wash up afterwards, I think that's when mine got soaked).

johnsma22 said:
Now time for the good news. If your temp probe is the type that can be used in the oven, just take the probe and put in the oven at 350˚F for 1/2 hour and it will dry it out and it should read right again. I tried it with mine and it worked.
John

Ehhh, your my hero for the day! I thought my digi-probe was FUBAR. Thanks for the tip.

I use a dial thermometer that clamps to the side of my brew pot, it fast accurate readings. I think it gives faster readings than the floating ones, and you don't have to worry about shattering it if you're clumsy.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary #2: empty
Bottled/Aging: Octane IPA
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale

jar said:
Excellent, thanks. I'll try to revive my probe. Do you loop the cord around the pot handle to keep the vulnerable junction out of the liquid? How well does that work?

Yup, that's all I do. It has served me well so far, that is, once I learned to not submerge then entire probe. I now only submerge the probe about an inch or two. I also use a Polder instant read thermometer that I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond just to double check.

John

363-90-b.jpg

Back