Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
All three of mine read different temps. I have a Taylor I just bought and it is suppose to be good. For some reason it starts out reading fine then locks up and won't read the correct temp. Candy thermometer is 10 degrees cooler than the Taylor and the digital multimeter is 10 the other way.

So what would be a reliable probe type with digital read so I can keep track while mashing with out raising the lid to check it.

All three of mine read different temps. I have a Taylor I just bought and it is suppose to be good. For some reason it starts out reading fine then locks up and won't read the correct temp. Candy thermometer is 10 degrees cooler than the Taylor and the digital multimeter is 10 the other way.

So what would be a reliable probe type with digital read so I can keep track while mashing with out raising the lid to check it.

My Taylor digital took a crap on me so I`m curious to hear . I will be buying one also

No matter what you buy, it needs to read 32F degrees (0 c) when tested in a glass of ice water. That's the best one!

The ice water test is the best way to test for sure. The problem with the Taylor I bought was it started to gain temps after about 30 minutes in the mash. It would read correct temps after sitting for a while turned off. When I would leave it in the mash at 154 or so after 30 minutes it would start climbing. Last night after a 90 min mash it read 179. Checking with a candy thermometer it was 150. It won't read below 100 but Deb's candies turn out good, so I believe it is pretty close. Where do you get the thermalworks brand? Is a digital with remote probe so you don't have to open lid to keep check on temp?

I only clicked this because your user name is aawesome. However, thermoworks has an online store. I don't think I've ever seen their products sold locally.

I just had the same problem with a digital Taylor. Seemed to start out fine, but was way off at the end of heating my strike water. It read 75 in a cup of ice water. Frustrating since it looks like I mashed at 110 or so. I'll be looking for a new one very soon.

I use a Thermopen for grilling, smoking meat and brewing. Got to love insta-read thermos with a high degree of accuracy.

If my Thermopen died tomorrow I'd buy two more just like it...

I bought an open-box item, it did not work right, they fixed and shipped it back free.

I'm thinking of grabbing the Thermoworks MTC along with a couple of 113-372/373/375-T probes. From what I've read it's supposed to be very reliable and accurate. Thoughts?

I have been using the ChefAlarm from Thermoworks for the past year. I've had 30+ brews on it and I couldn't be happier. The cord fits nicely in my rubbermaid 10 gal cooler threads so I can monitor mash temps. It has a timer, and both a high and low temperature alerts which also help come mash time.

I have the same issue with my 3 digital probes.. all different temps. I always check them in comparison to my kettle thermometer... One thing is a given when checking your probes. If it reads 32f in a glass of ice water, it is off a degree or 2. check in boiling water because if it were 32f it would be solid and water always boils at 212 unless you live at a high altitude....

+Thermoworks. Can't imagine life without it. (Ok, that sounds a little bit sad but it's a pretty amazing little machine).

Ice water is not a substitute for a proper ice bath. You need more ice than water and you must stir it. The melting point of ice is reliably 32.0 F, but ice water is just chilled water.

Mash temperature is tough, because the mixture is kind of chunky and the temperature will vary throughout. The actual sensor is pretty tiny in that tube on a digital thermometer. It’s about the size of a pencil tip. It’s a no-no to stir with a thermometer, but if you could attach your probe to something like a wooden spoon and stir, that would give you a good average.

I use a certified analog lab type thermometer and the bigger volume on the tip does a good job. Digitals freak out around induction plates.

I set my strike temperature and don’t even worry about mash temp. Every so often I round up my thermometers and measure the strike temperature. If they agree, I’m good.

Cheap oven thermometers are bad about getting water in the cable. If you get the cable wet it can give you some wacky readings. You can dry it out in the oven but eventually it will corrode inside. If the cable gets stiff anywhere along it’s length, toss it.

Don’t worry about boil temps, boiling is boiling. Also wort boils a little higher than 212F. Anything dissolved in water will raise the boiling point. Don’t panic and assume your thermometer is wrong.

Cdn 450. Cheap and you can calibrate it. Thermoworks makes the best though $$$

+1 on the ThermaPen. I have a number of NIST traceable probes at work that always seem disagree, but the ThermaPen has never given me a hassle. Worth the price for sure!

Since my temps are closer to 212 than 32, I calibrate using boiling water. Place in the boiling water and turn the face of the thermometer until it reads 212

Back