Thermometer through lid: Adding temp control to round cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I gather that a lot of folks here have added thermometers to their round coolers by drilling through the lid. Sounds like a good alternative to going through the side---but I've searched around, and I can't find any specifics on the lid build.

Anyone have this info, or know of a thread where it resides? Also, any brand suggestions for a thermometer for this purpose?

-R

I tywrap a remote type grilling thermo lead to the handle so it doesn't get wet and it does a great job.Also I drilled holes around the bottom edge of the lid like the one drain/air hole that it already has and squirted the lid with foam insulation because the lid is the place heat is lost.

I use a foam board "float" on top of the mash to hold in the heat. For the thermometer, I just poked the probe through the foam.

I tywrap a remote type grilling thermo lead to the handle so it doesn't get wet and it does a great job.Also I drilled holes around the bottom edge of the lid like the one drain/air hole that it already has and squirted the lid with foam insulation because the lid is the place heat is lost.

The foam is a great idea. I'm having a hard time picturing the probe set up though. Does the cord just go under the screwed-on lid?

I use a foam board "float" on top of the mash to hold in the heat. For the thermometer, I just poked the probe through the foam.

That's not a bad idea either. Hadn't thought of it.

These are good options that I might try out, but I'm also looking for something pretty clean and permanent. I was thinking maybe I could drill a carboy-sized hole in the lid, put a stopper in it, then put a probe through that.

The foam is a great idea. I'm having a hard time picturing the probe set up though. Does the cord just go under the screwed-on lid?

That's not a bad idea either. Hadn't thought of it.

These are good options that I might try out, but I'm also looking for something pretty clean and permanent. I was thinking maybe I could drill a carboy-sized hole in the lid, put a stopper in it, then put a probe through that.

Here is how to use a stopper: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/02/15/add-thermometer-probe-to-hlt-mlt-cooler/

Back