Thermometer Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon99

Reaction score
Mfg: Taylor
Model: #9848
Type: Digital Pen-style
Cost: ~$20 shipped
Where I purchased: Cutlery and More

Facts:

Mfg Notes: Compact waterproof digital thermometer. Easy-to-read LCD readout. °F/°C switchable. Range -40°F to 450°F or -40°C to 230°C. On/Off switch and auto shut off for long battery life. Hold and max features. Eight second response time with 2 second updates. Recalibratable. Durable stainless steel stem. Anti-microbial plastic storage case inhibits growth of pathogens. Includes lanyard and 1.5v LR44 battery. NSF approved.

Range: -40˚F to 450˚F
Resolution: 0.1˚F up to 199.9˚F, 1˚F above
Accuracy: 130˚F - 180˚F = 1˚F, otherwise 2˚F'
Response: 6sec, 2sec updates

My thoughts:
Pros: accurate in mash temp range, waterproof, recalibratable (at 32˚F)
Con: None so far

Most of the sites I found this sold at list it as "dishwasher safe". I decided to test that claim, so I went ahead and tossed it in my mash cooler. Came back ~5min later and checked my temps. Guess it qualifies as "mash safe" too:rockin:. The model 9842 seems very similar and can be purchased for about the same or less.

I have that same thermometer, and I like it too. Mine has been shutting off on me lately though. Hopefully it just needs a new battery.

Back