Review of Extech TM-26 Digital Thermometer (It's Waterproof!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berndawg84

Reaction score
So I thought I'd post a review of this product, hopefully it's helpful. I was recently searching for a digital thermometer that was waterproof, with an alarm function that would let me know if my mash went above or under my mash temp. I wanted to be able to leave it in my kettle the entire mash time (of course, if you have an electric setup, no need for this product at all!)

I wanted to find something cheap (under $50) but had a hard time finding a good option, even via Google searches and multiple threads on HBT. Other options I found were mostly $80 or even over $100. However, I did come across this thermometer, the Extech TM-26 (I think I found it via a Google search).

At around $30, it's pretty economical. The Amazon page here gives a great overview of all the features, but I bought mine via Grainger.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D30Z5CQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The housing is waterproof, and the probe and cord are waterproof as well. It's food-grade and NSF-certified, so it's safe to use. It reads temps in C or F. I was able to figure out how to set the min and max alarm temps easily, so that I would know my mash temp strayed too far from 154 F. In addition, the back of the unit has a magnet so you can easily stick it on a metal surface on your stovetop or other area. It also comes with a stand for propping it on a flat surface. The probe is only 4.1 inches long, which is a little shorter than I'd like, but again, the whole thing is waterproof and I had no issues just letting it dangle in my kettle. I didn't even need to secure the cable with a binder clip, and had no fear it would melt.

The alarm function worked well, and let me know right away when my suggested min/max alarm was out of range. A simple click on the "Alarm" button turns it off.

I've only used it once now, on my BIAB setup, but overall it was a big success and worked very well. It's a simple no-frills thermometer that works well and I cannot say anything bad about it. The one review on Amazon says that it's hard to figure out how to use it, but I didn't find that at all. It comes with an instruction booklet, and is simple to use. I give it a 10/10!

If you want to purchase it, Amazon above has a good price. You can also find it for cheaper on other sites (do a quick Google search), but the shipping may be more expensive there. I purchased mine via Grainger.com so that I could pick it up at their local store.

Let me know if you have any questions about this product!

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back