Thermometer Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikespunchlist

Reaction score
I've had it with cheap crappy made digital thermometers that are inaccurate and unreliable. My last 2 batches were filled with problems and I know there must be a better way. Is anyone using a controller (PID or such) and a temp probe just to monitor temps? I don't mind spending a few bucks to make something nice but I really don't know what to buy. I mash in a 10gal round drink cooler and I figure a 12 inch moveable stainless probe would be ideal. The probe part would need to be problem free in liquid at temps less than 180 degrees or so. Any Ideas on exactly what I'm looking for?

Probably a thermapen, for around $95 ... Or a glass thermometer is 12" and about $4 (my current choice)

What crappy digital thermometers have you used? I'm pretty confident that there are options somewhere between a crappy unreliable one and the $90 thermapen.

Joeybeer, watch out for those glass lab thermos. I have had two of them that read up to 6F off depending on the temp. Go ahead and check it in icewater and boiling. I just assumed hey, it's called a lab thermometer so it's GOT to be accurate right?

I purchased this thermometer this weekend and am waiting for it to arrive. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NV2LU0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is not a kitchen thermo, but a science/lab thermo. It is designed to go into liquid...so hopefully it works as advertised. I will check the accuracy using several other thermo's and devices (refridge temp) to see how well it works. I'll report back after I get it and test it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 2 last weekend, one was a Redi-chek by Maverick. It has a braided line that I immersed into the HLT checking sparge temp early on. It hung on for a while and then went to some stupid temp like 299 and then back to a lower temp than I knew the target was. I also tried an Oneida 31161 20 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond. I compared it with a Taylor analog that had been checked at boiling/freezing a while back. It was about 6 degrees off at 180 degrees. I have a fluke DMM that had a thermocouple that came with it when I got it new but I can't find the thermocouple. I think it could be nice if I could find it and protect it somehow against liquid. I found the thread on the fix for the probes with the tubing. It looks OK but I would really like it to fit under the threaded tun lid like the smaller braid does. The Thermopen would be nice for spot checking but I want my main temps constantly read out. I thought using a PID could be nice as maybe I could just drill a hole through the lid and stick a long stainless well down if it were long enough. It would also have the control outputs available if I later wanted to automate parts of my process or go electric with my mash.

Latest posts

Back