thermometer issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonhagen1

Reaction score
so I just got around to checking my glass floating thermometer and in ice water is reads just below 30* and in boiling water it reads 220* what do you all think I should do get another one or figure this out,I dont really have the money for a new thermometer but if I have to then I guess I have to, what are all your thoughts thanks in advance

Unless that is also you hydrometer I suggest throwing it away before you break it in a batch of beer.

I wonder what that thread count is up to these days.......

You can get a pretty accurate digi from Bobby's site for like 20 bucks.

Borrow one. Skip a brew session to buy one (way cheaper than a brew). Craigslist something. Pawn something. Brewing is more expensive than a thermometer. (???)
Are you doing all-grain? If not, all you need to check is yeast pitching temps. If it feels warm, it's too warm. If it feels cool, it's ready to pitch yeast. Beer was brewed for centuries before the thermometer was invented. For steeping grains, if you can barely count to four with your finger in the water, you're good. If you can't make it to four, it's too hot to put in your specialty grains. If you can count to seven, it's way to cool.
... wing it, just brew

Back