Thermometer broke while making starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was making my first starter tonight and attempting to sanitize my flask. I had my brew thermometer in the bucket with it, and when I turned over the flask the thermometer broke. I thought I fished out all the pieces, but when cleaning up after pitching the yeast into the starter I found a lot of small broken shards at the bottom of the bucket. I probably should have just dumped the sanitizer and started over, but it has been a long couple of weeks and I am not thinking as clearly as I should. In any event, I am a little paranoid that some of those glass shards got into the bottom of my flask when I was shaking it with starsan - there was still some foam when I poured in the wort. Should I dump the starter and start anew, or am I being paranoid?

My first brewday in over a year this weekend... I have been looking forward to this for months.

Something I tell all my cooks.....If in doubt, throw it out. I personally would not take the chance.

Latest posts

Back