There is something I don't understand about partial mashing/brewing. .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Is the LME in a brew pack different in anyways from the 3-lbs LME (or even DME) we buy to do partial mash brewing?

My doubt is that the LME in kits requires simply water to be added to the fermenter but here on the forum when I read instructions on partial mashing, people add LME to the wort while it is still on the stove . Why don't people brew half the required wort (2.5 gallons in the case of a 5-gallon batch), chill it, add it to the fermenter and then pour the LME (the amount that is required for 2,5 gallons since another 2.5 gallons of wort is already in the bucket) and the water in the fermenting bucket to reach the 5-gallon final batch?

I think you are thinking of "no-boil" kits that are prehopped LME and the instructions just say to add to water and stir. That is the very basic level of home brewing and I think many would not recommend it do to the lack of sanitation. The LME you buy for partial mash or extract brewing is usually not hopped and thus you boil the water and do you hop additions as required.

Back